Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering how much it takes to keep up with a long coated chi's coat? What do you guys do? How often do you get them groomed? I saw Ruby's pic/siggy (long haired ruby) and i just think she is absolutely stunning. I am trying to find another chi baby and i have stumbled across some long haired ones along the way but never really was interested. Now that i saw ruby i am having second thoughts... what are your thoughts everyone?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Gadget is long haired and he is weasy to take care of.. I brush his hair every day or so... he loves it.. I got a baby hair brush with soft bristles and he loves it.. he will lye there and let me brush him and then he will roll over so I can brush the other side...

We give him baths when he starts to smell like dog again.. I think it is every 3 or so weeks..

·
Registered
521 Posts
Aww how sweet :) Ruby and I are very touched! I haven't had experience with short haired chis before but I can say that long coats are incredibly easy to look after, much easier than it probably looks... I brush her maybe once a week if I remember and wash her about once every 3 weeks. She doesnt take too long to dry at all and hardly sheds, apparantly they shed less than short coats do! I'd imagine they don't get cold quite so easily as short coats either but they definitely do get cold and need sweaters. Hmm... Thats all I can think of I think. If you have any more questions just ask :)

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I know it looks like a lot of work, but it really isn't. I felt the same way when I started looking for a chi last year, and had no intention of getting a long hair chi. But then I met Jasmine, and there was no question in my mind that she was the one for me.

I brush Jasmine every day, but that really is not necessary. I just enjoy brushing her, and she loves it. It is sort of our "bonding" time every evening. I bathe her about every 2 weeks. I don't take her to the groomers at all.

I may be mistaken, but it is my understanding that some of the long hair chis have a "double" coat, or undercoat, and some only a single coat, so that is something to keep in mind when looking. Jasmine is a single coat. She has a lot of hair and it is very thick, but it will not be as full and fluffy as one with a double coat. I am guessing from seeing pics that Ruby is a double coat.

I have found that the long hairs shed less than the smooth coats also.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
lol mine are lucky if I remeber to brush them once a month :lol: they never get notty or tangled and always look smooth - they have a bath once a month the only hair i trim is around their bottom as sometimes you get clinkers :lol:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I have a smooth, and had never considered a longcoat until I met Fizzy Dave a couple of weeks ago , he is like holding a cashmere jumper, so smooth and lovely. If I hadn't already found a 2nd smoothcoat pup I would have seriously considered a long, its a beautiful feeling coat :)

·
Registered
289 Posts
no, strangely its not course atall, still very soft, but very very short!, if you stroke them from the back towards the front, it hardly moves atall :lol: . I bath Mr Big every 3 weeks, as it only takes 5 minutes for him to dry, and Biba had her first bath today and immediately started to doggie paddle, it was really funny to watch, but she seemed to enjoy it :D

·
Registered
140 Posts
I also read that you shouldn't bath them more than once a month at the most but its better to do it once every two months otherwise you strip their coats of natural oils and they become more prone to skin irritations!? I don't know if this is true or not!? Lola is long coated and I bath her whenever she starts smelling doggy! But she doesn't really get dirty. When we go out walking she even walks around any puddles so as not to get her precious paws wet and dirty!! :D :D

Long coats are easy to look after. Lola doesn't really need brushing at all but I brush her every so often so she's used to it! Their coats are so soft and Lola's fur is really fine to touch like baby hair and never gets tangled! And when she's had a bath and I've dried and brushed her she looks so shiny and fluffed up its gorgeous! :D

Lucie & Lola :wave:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Amazingly, the long coats seem to shed less than the smooth coats. Of course, they all shed some, just not as much it seems. Jasmine did shed more in the spring, but is hardly shedding at all now.

As for bathing, I asked my vet about this and she said as long as you use a good shampoo that does not strip the natural oils, it is fine to bath every 2 to 3 weeks. I use the Fresh 'n Clean shampoo and conditioner, and have never had any problems with dry or itchy skin, and Jasmine's coat is soft and shiny and extremely healthy. Plus, it leaves a clean, fresh scent that lasts for days and days. There are several good shampoos and conditioners on the market that do not strip the natural oils.

·
Banned
1,379 Posts
I love Ruby so much. She is gorgeous. I also love Sophie, and of course Lily and Ozzy.

Long haires all the way.

I had a few short haired guys ages ago. But we got Pepi and had long haires ever since.

I brush pepi every night, Lillie each week, Bindii has no knot fur yet xD

·
Registered
277 Posts
Our 3 all have a unique shedding pattern. Beamer never sheds, Fritzy sheds seasonally and Kosmo sheds alot but his could be blamed on his full coat coming on and losing his puppy coat. We brush once per day which they love and bath once every few weeks unless they are stinky. We dog sat a friends short coat and she was a shedding machine!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
My short coats shed like crazy!! I have those Pet Roller thingies in every room of the house! My long-coat does shed in the summer months, but not near as much as Bruiser and Chloe! My long-coat Teddy has hair as soft and shiney as fine silk! :)

sandra
www.chloescustomharness.com

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Lexi is a smooth coat and her fur is soooo soft, it's true that it hardly moves when you stroke from back to front! It's so short.
She doesn't moult much just now, only the odd hair or two every day.
I don't notice tbh, I have 3 cats who shed year round.

I've already bathed Lexi a good couple of times in nearly a month, she gets SO filthy running around in the garden. I know that it's bad to wash them more than once every 2-3weeks but how on earth do you keep white fur clean from grass and dirt stains?!! lol.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Cody and Callie are the first 2 long coats I have ever had. I was so surprised to find out that they don't shed nearly has much as smooth coats. As someone else said, Annabelle is a shedding machine! My long coats obviously don't get as cold either. Annabelle loves to burrow under the cover but Cody and Callie hardly ever get under the cover. I brush them once or twice a week and bathe them every couple of weeks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts