Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago there was a thread in either chat or questions about keeping coats healthy looking. When I used to groom ( thats another story!!!) Elmo I used to get a lot of what looked like dandruff come out, and because he's got such a thick black coat it looked awful. Anyway on this thread I was reading someone said try giving the chi's a teaspoon of olive or cod liver oil a day, so I thought I'd give it a try and the results have been amazing, no dandruff stuff and the shine on his coat is fantastic.............

I wish I could remember what thread it was on and who it was that recommended it because I'd really love to thank them.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Elmo looks amazing!
He has a nice shiny black coat. You did good!! :)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
So pretty and glossy. I might have to try that as well then. Pearl's coat is glossy like Elmo's, but Tilly's coat is still growing in and she has tons of little white flecks as well. Do you think Salmon oil would do the same trick?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
He is SOOOO super shiney! I may do this for all of my dogs - they tend to get dry flakey skin. Great job!!

·
Registered
4,016 Posts
He looks very nice !

My Stella's coat has become a lot softer and shinier, and she
has a lot less flakes, but the problem with black coats is, even a small amount
of tiny flakes will always be visible, so I definitely will try the olive oil.

How do you give it to him ? Does he take it from a spoon, or do you
put it on his food ?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the replies :) I've been giving Elmo cod liver oil for only 3 weeks so I was surprised at how soon the results started to show. I've never tried salmon oil but I'd imagine it would be the same.
With Elmo having such a thick black coat every single fleck of white showed, now I get none, it must be more comfortable for him. I give him one teaspoon full a day, I measure it out and put it in his bowl, luckily he loves it, I give him it first thing in the morning, then give him his dried food after it.
Hope it works for you too :)

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Oh so the dogs have to consume it?
Silly me, I thought we can just put some actually ON their coat. Oops! :D /naive-moment

I definitely need to try this with Britney. She has such dry skin!!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh so the dogs have to consume it?
Silly me, I thought we can just put some actually ON their coat. Oops! :D /naive-moment

I definitely need to try this with Britney. She has such dry skin!!

:sign5: That really made me laugh, considering the smell of cod liver oil having him running around wearing it doesn't bare thinking about :sign5:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts