Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen these at dog shows and have wanted some for awhile, problem is that at $60 a pop, to get the 3 or so I wanted...it was going to get expensive so I decided to try to make some. It cost me $25 for all the materials...plus the materials are all boring colors at shows and I made one w/ polka dots!...Here are the results...

(Birdie doesn't know "stay" yet and Ivy is in heat...)

I am not very handy so I am pleased LOL.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I sewed the little cover and cut the pipes/stuck the pieces together. Really not hard at all. It's really more of an outdoor cot type bed for them...but it was raining and I wanted pictures of it! So it's all-weather and everything is washable (great when you have intact males that like to mark!).

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Love that!! What a clever idea. Hmmm I may have to steal it. LOL I've been trying to figure out how to put more sunning decks my Chis play yard that won't get soaked in urine after a while. LOL Very cool--and I love the print you chose! I think they'd be a great indoor bed too...our beds are forever getting tons of hair stuck to the bottom (despite how much I vaccuum)...something like that would remedy that even & make beds last longer!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Love that!! What a clever idea. Hmmm I may have to steal it. LOL I've been trying to figure out how to put more sunning decks my Chis play yard that won't get soaked in urine after a while. LOL Very cool--and I love the print you chose! I think they'd be a great indoor bed too...our beds are forever getting tons of hair stuck to the bottom (despite how much I vaccuum)...something like that would remedy that even & make beds last longer!
All in all it only took like 1/2 an hour to make. I bought a 10 foot pvc pipe, 4 corner pieces (which were kind of hard to find), and 4 little "foot" pieces. Cut the PVC pipe and stuck the frame together -- you don't glue or seal any of it because you want to be able to remove the cover to wash it at times if you want. Then I just laid the cover fabric over it, cut it, and sewed the edges so there were no raw edges. The fabric is an upholstery grade canvas and the thread is too, so it's really sturdy. Cover can come off and be washed. :) You should make some! I picked a fun happy fabric because I liked it better...the ones you can buy all have boring blue or gray covers. I need to go back and get a cute blue plaid they had, to make the next cover. It seriously was the quickest project ever and I'm super pleased with how sturdy it came out. Just a rectangle of fabric, cut the corners off, sew it up, sew "loops" for the pipes, stick it all together. I also double stitched everything, and the weight bearing points are on triple fabric layers b'c I wanted it to be sturdy.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
It really is a novel idea, they use those in our shelters here to keep pups up off the cold ground and like you said they're durable and washable so having multiple pups off and on it doesn't really hurt it.

Great work! If you decide to start mass producing them, let us know ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
All in all it only took like 1/2 an hour to make. I bought a 10 foot pvc pipe, 4 corner pieces (which were kind of hard to find), and 4 little "foot" pieces. Cut the PVC pipe and stuck the frame together -- you don't glue or seal any of it because you want to be able to remove the cover to wash it at times if you want. Then I just laid the cover fabric over it, cut it, and sewed the edges so there were no raw edges. The fabric is an upholstery grade canvas and the thread is too, so it's really sturdy. Cover can come off and be washed. :) You should make some! I picked a fun happy fabric because I liked it better...the ones you can buy all have boring blue or gray covers. I need to go back and get a cute blue plaid they had, to make the next cover. It seriously was the quickest project ever and I'm super pleased with how sturdy it came out. Just a rectangle of fabric, cut the corners off, sew it up, sew "loops" for the pipes, stick it all together. I also double stitched everything, and the weight bearing points are on triple fabric layers b'c I wanted it to be sturdy.

Sounds pretty simple though I may have hubby to the frame part for me because he's much more handy with that kind of thing. LOL They probably sell all the piping at his work so we'll be able to get it at a discount price too! And fabric...I LOVE fabric shopping & have been looking for an excuse to so it'll be fun to go look for some cute upholstery fabric. :D Definitely want a few of these things!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts