Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does Kujo look like a pure chihuahua? Everywhere I go, people are asking me what kind of dog he is as if he maybe be mixed...? Just wondering what you guys thought.

·
Registered
946 Posts
He could very well be pure chihuahua just with a longer snout. He reminds me of my Dora who is champion grandsired with over 15 champions in her 5 gen. pedigree.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
He looks like a chihuahua to me. Maybe a deerhead, or maybe a mix, but I definately see some chi in there. How much does he weigh?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
he looks chi, he just looks out of standard, possibly from a back yard breeder.
You love him though so what does it matter. and you can use him to teach curious people.
when they ask you can say "hes a chihuahua but from a not so good breeder, so he doesnt look exactly like a chihuahua should"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeh, I didn't get him from a breeder just a lady whose dogs had pups. :) I love him with all my heart though. Yes, his snout is longer than many I have seen but his characteristics are just like my friend's chihuahua. He is 1yr and 4months old. I'm going to get him weighed today so I'll post that later. Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
He looks like a beautiful sweet baby, so it doesn't matter! He looks like a chi to me. He reminds me of Hershey of the Hershey and Jax family (haven't seen pictures of them in a while, though) . :)
My baby is a deerhead, and I don't say to people, "she doesn't look like a chi should." She is what she is. And I love her.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
foxywench said:
when they ask you can say "hes a chihuahua but from a not so good breeder, so he doesnt look exactly like a chihuahua should"

I have to do that when people ask about Jack's eye and what kind of breed he is.

I think your little guy is a chihuahua. I rarely see breed standard chis around here to be honest... they're such a fad and are bred poorly for money.

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I think he's a chihuahua too. People that don't know much about the breed have a vision in their head about what chihuahuas look like. So when they come across one that is out of standard, they immediately think they are mixed. :roll:

People ask me if my boys are mixed. They even ask about Lucky and Buster. :roll: :lol: Mr. Peepers I can understand because he's so big, 12 pounds. But the other two are 8 pounders, definitely not huge by any means. :lol:

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Do you guys remember awhile back, a neighbor of mine, the one that beats her parrot with a curtain rod, told me that Bu looked part Jack Russell or Rat Terrior, I don't remmeber which now. I was so infuriated with her and her silly butt. I saw Bu's mom and (and grandparents on mama's side) and dad and they are pure chi. He doesn't look like either one of them really, but I can tell you that he is chi thru and thru and I love that little fella with all my heart! I have missed him so much this week and can't wait to get home and hold him.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
You know, I was wondering.....where ARE Hershey & Jax? I haven't seen them in a long time either.

And OMG Kari! I didn't know Mr. Peepers was 12 lbs! He's a Whopperchi! LOL! Marley is close to 20, but he's half beagle, so I get that....and Tito is only 7.5 (I usually just tell people 8). :-D I still :love5: Mr. Peepers. I just wanted to call him a Whopperchi. :-D :lol:

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
i think he looks like a chi :)

this is just my opinion, but i don't think you can say a chi might come from a backyard/not so good breeder based on what he looks like :)

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Looks 100% chi to me, too! My Max is very big for a chihuahua, and people (including the vet we now go to...I might change vets), think he is mixed. But he's not. I saw Maxs' mom and dad and they were smaller than what Max is now. A vet in Illinois where we used to live told us Max is definately 100% chihuahua; that he more than likely has a glandular problem which is making him bigger. That's true, a lot of people know very little about what all chi's look like. They just have the taco-bell or paris hilton version in their minds!!

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
He looks chi to me too, he's just not completely to the standard, but he is a cutie. :)

I agree Jen, you can't say a chi is from a bad breeder based on what he or she looks like alone. Two very standard chis can have a puppy with a deerhead, very long nose, and long legs. I've seen puppies from champion parents that don't look that close to the breed standard, it just happens.
Usually in a litter from breed standard parents a breeder is lucky to have one puppy that is show standards.

And most people, if they haven't actually researched the breed, have no idea what a chihuahua is supposed to look like. I've had people tell me Izzy has something wrong because her eyes bug out and has a huge head, that Deedlit is too huge and that's a minipin color not a chihuahua, that Cosette must be part rat terrier. Everything you do in life you'll have people giving you their opinions, it seems like chihuahuas are a beacon for this kind of beahvior for some reason, and I would just learn to ignore them.

I wouldn't worry about what people say anyway, I get TOLD, not asked, that Deedlit must be a mix all the time. :roll: He's your baby and you love him so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. :D :D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts