Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up our wee little girl yesterday and boy was it a long journey for the both of us!
We have named her coco chanel (sticking with a trend here LOL) But her KC name is indigo dreamer
She is officially the smallest dog I have EVER seen in my life which is very cute, but makes me so concerned.
I will take her to the vets for a checkup today but since its sunday and they are only open for 1 hr, maybe they will tell us to go back tomorrow.
She is 19 weeks old and only weighs 1.75lbs, I mean the breeder did say she is the tiniest pom she has ever bred, but I wasn't expecting this! She is smaller than gucci was at that age and her bones are so thin??!!
She is a reputable KC breeder and was one of the ones recommended by the pomeranian club when I contacted them.
But these are the reason why I am concerned:

1.She has a very small frame and bone structure, so I am scared prada and gucci trample over her and she hurts herself.
2. her belly is MASSIVE! I don't know because I have never owned a pom before whether this is normal or if she has worms (hopefully the vet may know)
3. The tip of her tongue sticks out so I think she may have an over/under bite
4. She had watery diarrhea (but maybe this is because of us travelling and change of environment? Gucci had that when we first got him too)
5. She gets along fine with Gucci, but Prada growls and snaps at her literally EVERY time she goes near her.
(I am trying to give Prada chicken whenever chanel goes around so she can associate her to something good and always say NO when she starts growling, but so far... it has not worked at all!):foxes15:

Anyways, these are some of her photos and videos
She is just the cutest little thing but doesn't photo well because of her color
P.s the white bits on her coat are the Panacur worming treatment! She got it all over her so she needs a bath LOL

This is a video of us on our train journey home (click to play)

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Well, I've got a new pup in the house right now so I'm dealing with some of the same concerns.

Diesel is 1 lb 3 oz. He's a rough and tumble little tiny thing, so it's hard to keep him out of the midst of the doggy chaos. I'm constantly trying to slow the bigger dogs down (all 5 and 8 lbs of them!) so Diesel doesn't get hurt. It's a bit of a chore, but I think they are figuring out that 'easy' and 'baby' are serious words, and not to be ignored. Neither would hurt him intentionally, but things get kinda crazy around here at times! Diesel will have to learn that some things are off limit, as Pedro and Gracie both growl at him over their pig ears...But he's catching on, and neither would hurt them.

BUT...We don't allow an untrained pup to run loose without supervision, so he's constantly being watched, and the older two know they are being watched, as well.

I would definitely have the little one checked for worms because of the distended belly, and I agree that the loose stool was most likely from anxiety and stress from the trip.

Not sure about the tongue...It could be a puppy thing (from nursing), or it could be just something she's going to do - maybe she has an exceptionally long tongue, or her bite is off. A dear friend picked up two ChiPom pups last week, and her little female has her little tongue sticking out all the time!

Regardless, I'm glad you got her! She's precious!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone :)
I managed to take her to the vets for a check up
She is apparently healthy and poms are meant to have bigger bellies than chihuahuas, but for the diarrhea the vet recommended only a chicken and rice diet.
I must say Prada and Gucci are also taking advantage of the situation and stuffing down as much chicken as possible LOL! Lots of extra walkies to keep the pounds off :D
Apparently Chanel's bite is also ok, but her tongue is too big for her mouth:p
But still no luck with Prada warming up to her.
She is always growling at the poor thing and I feel so bad, not only because the little one is scared, but also because I don't want my Prada to be sad or jealous of another dog ( if that even makes sense :( )

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Prada is doing what an older dog will do to a puppy. "Listen hear, I"M the boss of you, and don't you forget it"!!! I had an Irish Setter that 'took down' her granddaughter every day! When the granddaughter pup got bigger than her, it didn't matter. Every AM for sure---a snarl, and down would go this huge puppy! Give her time, and don't reprimand her. She's doing what she knows is best for her!!! I doubt she would hurt her. Good luck. Sue

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
She is adorable! Glad she's all healthy except her upset belly but I'm sure that will fix soon. As for Prada not really caring for her new sister....just make sure you treat them all equally. Prada needs to be corrected for ANY growling, glaring, snapping (obviously) or any signs she's about to growl or snap. Put her down immediately if she does it in your lap. She'll learn that the baby is there to stay & that she is no threat to her.

Good luck & enjoy your new baby!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts