Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my plan is to get a pee pad tray and pee pads for in the house, but i will take her out also and get her used to peeing in the yard with the other dogs. Tray is here:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13025221&findingMethod=rr&
and the pads they sell that go with it. Also a playyard type thing for the kitchen to keep her in, along with her food/water, bed and potty stuff. Playyard is here:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13025218&findingMethod=rr&
I also plan on getting her an actual crate, i thought a small one would be coziest and eliminate extra room to pee/poop in. like this one. It shows a big one but at our petsmart they have a really small one for toy breeds.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3674772&lmdn=Dog
Obviously i'll get food/water dishes and a nylabone or something to chew on and a toy :) Bedding right now will be a towel,lol. Opinions are appreciated and ideas would be super! :D

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Make sure to get human grade ceramic bowls or stainless steel. Plastic has chemicals that leach slowly over time and can get rid of the pigment of your dog's nose making it lighter than it should be.

For bedding I'd try fleece pieces versus a towel, and buy twice as many blankets as you think you'll need. We buy 3/4 yard fleece pieces from walmart and cut them in half. These seem to work out very well and are easily washable/small enough the dog can move them and snuggle them.

Pee pads are the realistic way to potty train a chi. 10 week old Bryco is already 80% on them after just 4 days. He has to pee or poo so often I'm glad I don't have to take him out (rolls eyes). We let Bryco sleep in a large wire crate that's got a bed on one half and potty pad on the other half. Otherwise we'd be getting up 4 times a night to let him out...or waking up to a poo covered doggie ;-) (this: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13418049&findingMethod=rr& in size small)

BUY NUTRICAL!

BUY BABYFOOD! I use Beech Nut, as it has no corn, in the chicken and gravy flavor. It helps get them to want to eat if they aren't eating. Chis MUST eat.

We have that playyard for Bryco and really, really like it. It's so easy to set up a 5 year old kid could put it together.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have that same crate for my dog lucy. I was hoping to get the smaller ones because they take up less room. I have Lucy's plus my boxer's uber ginormous crate. It looks like wall to wall crates in our family room, lol. Hmm you have a good point about the pottying during the night, i could have her sleep in the playyard on a blanket and have her potty stuff there to access, but she may not like it. I guess i'll have to wait and see. I will get the nutrical, i assume that will be at our petsmart, and ill get some babyfood too. As far as the towel, i just figured it would get pottied on in the beginning and i could wash it in hot water and even use bleach if necessary to get rid of any pee odor. I will get stainless steel, thats what the other dogs have. I saw the absolutely cutest little s.s. bowls in a really pretty holder type thingy. It was the most attractive thing i've saw for a dog. Its super low it's mostly just an attractive bowl holder and not really giving any height.;)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
I have that same crate for my dog lucy. I was hoping to get the smaller ones because they take up less room. I have Lucy's plus my boxer's uber ginormous crate. It looks like wall to wall crates in our family room, lol. Hmm you have a good point about the pottying during the night, i could have her sleep in the playyard on a blanket and have her potty stuff there to access, but she may not like it. I guess i'll have to wait and see. I will get the nutrical, i assume that will be at our petsmart, and ill get some babyfood too. As far as the towel, i just figured it would get pottied on in the beginning and i could wash it in hot water and even use bleach if necessary to get rid of any pee odor. I will get stainless steel, thats what the other dogs have. I saw the absolutely cutest little s.s. bowls in a really pretty holder type thingy. It was the most attractive thing i've saw for a dog. Its super low it's mostly just an attractive bowl holder and not really giving any height.;)
I just like the bigger crate because it still is a "crate" and not a "play yard". One is where they sleep, the other is where they are when its light out. It makes it easier to transition them to a crate later on.

You will get to know your pup's potty habits very early on lol. All it took was for Bryco to roll in his poo once in a reg. sized crate for me to say...ENOUGH lol, and revert to the larger half and half crate. It also helps train them to the pads quicker. But what you do is up to you, and what works varies by the dog.

Any word yet from the breeder?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Oh yay! I am so excited for you:)

I have that tray for the wee pads and i really like it alot!! I got mine off amazon, but it's the same brand. I may have to go to Walmart and get a couple more:)

I highly recommend getting a play yard of some sort..I have a baby playpen for mine and it is so convenient!! Libby sleeps in it at night and in it I have a little wee pad, her food, water, and bed.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
my gosh she is pretty :) she reminds me of bella luna and brody

ok these are all Mexican names i found on the net

Damita -meaning Little Princess
Arcadia -meaning Adventurous
Elisa -meaning Dedicated to God
Gitana -meaning Gypsy
Tierra -meaning Earth, land
Tia - meaning Aunt, princess
Raeka -meaning Beautiful, unique