Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

I've actually been a member here for quite sometime as i did look into getting a Chihuahua a few years ago but ended up getting another Yorkshire Terrier instead! Our first Yorkie lived for 14 years then our second one we just lost 4 weeks ago aged just 3. She had a brain tumour and she went downhill so fast...I think i'm still stunned by it all to be honest...I still can't believe she is gone. She was very tiny, only about 3lbs...but there was a big character in that little body! She was stunning...beautiful coat, very pretty...and just a total treasure...she was my life and i don't think i'll ever get over it. I feel cheated...she should have been with me for many many more years...but i'm so thankful she came to me and i was lucky enough to have had her in my life.

so...after much thought...and many tears...I have decided i would love a smoothcoat girl.
I am not in any rush, I still need time to come to terms with it all...I understand it may take some time to find a good, reputable breeder and the right girl for us. Early next year would be wonderful!
I was hoping some of you UK members might be able to point me in the right direction? and share with me your experiences of your search ...good and bad! Do you know of any good breeders that have litters due/planned early next year?
Your help would be very much appreciated.
Looking forward to making new friends....Kindest regards, Kerry.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So sorry to hear your sad news..... Run free little one.

Where abouts in the uk are you? Im in the uk. Ill keep my ears open
Hi there!
Thanks so much for your kind words.
I'm in Oxfordshire. :)

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
How heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I know how hard it is to lose our little ones. RIP little Pixie. I'm in the states so I can't recommend a Chi breeder for you, but I wish you all the best in your search. x

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
oh how sad, RIP little Pixie. I am in Australia, so I also cant help out with a breeder. I hope you find your chi baby soon :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will keep my eyes and ears open. My breeder is from Hertfordshire
How heartbreaking. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( I know how hard it is to lose our little ones. RIP little Pixie. I'm in the states so I can't recommend a Chi breeder for you, but I wish you all the best in your search. x
Thankyou!
and thankyou for your kind words. x

·
Registered
187 Posts
Awww, so sorry for your loss, its just heartbreaking isn't it :(

We're hoping to maybe have a litter the early part of 2011 if our girl ever comes into season :rolleyes:

You can always try the KC website or Champdogs though :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awww, so sorry for your loss, its just heartbreaking isn't it :(

We're hoping to maybe have a litter the early part of 2011 if our girl ever comes into season :rolleyes:

You can always try the KC website or Champdogs though :)
Hi! whats your girl like? i'd love to see some pictures of her!

I have been looking at the KC website and have a few names to contact through the British Chihuahua Club...so we'll see how it goes!

Thanks again! x

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi there. I'm in Oxfordshire too!

My advice is to do your research and don't buy a dog from anyone who doesn't have as many questions for you as you have for them- you want to get your puppy from someone who really cares where their dogs are going to, because that shows they care about how they breed and raise those dogs in the first place.

I searched for quite a few months for a good breeder. I brought up the list on the Kennel Club website of all the registered breeders in surrounding counties (there's none in Oxfordshire itself) and particularly the KC Accredited breeders as these are more likely to be reputable.

I contacted a few breeders by email and had mixed responses (and in some cases no response at all) and finally found the breeder I got Alfie from. They were brilliant. I can't speak highly enough of them. They invited us round to their house and we spent 2 hours there meeting the dogs and talking to them, there was no pressure at all to buy a dog from them and you could tell that they really loved and cared for their dogs.

I don't know if they have any litters due, but it's worth getting in touch with them. They mostly breed long-coats but they do have short-coats too, and even of they don't have any litters due they may be able to point you in the direction of another good breeder. I'll PM you their details.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi there. I'm in Oxfordshire too!

My advice is to do your research and don't buy a dog from anyone who doesn't have as many questions for you as you have for them- you want to get your puppy from someone who really cares where their dogs are going to, because that shows they care about how they breed and raise those dogs in the first place.

I searched for quite a few months for a good breeder. I brought up the list on the Kennel Club website of all the registered breeders in surrounding counties (there's none in Oxfordshire itself) and particularly the KC Accredited breeders as these are more likely to be reputable.

I contacted a few breeders by email and had mixed responses (and in some cases no response at all) and finally found the breeder I got Alfie from. They're based in Trowbridge in Wiltshire, which is about an 80 minute drive from us, and they were brilliant. I can't speak highly enough of them. They invited us round to their house and we spent 2 hours there meeting the dogs and talking to them, there was no pressure at all to buy a dog from them and you could tell that they really loved and cared for their dogs.

I don't know if they have any litters due, but it's worth getting in touch with them. You'll find them in the Accredited Breeders section of the KC website- they're the only ones in Trowbridge. They mostly breed long-coats but they do have short-coats too, and even of they don't have any litters due they may be able to point you in the direction of another good breeder. Tell them that Rosie who has Alfie recommended them ;)
aaww Thanks Rosie! thats so kind of you. :)
where are you in Oxfordshire then? We are in a place called Carterton...hubby is at RAF Brize Norton.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hi, we're in Abingdon. My brother-in-law lives in Carterton and my Dad lives in Black Bourton, so we're often up your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi, we're in Abingdon. My brother-in-law lives in Carterton and my Dad lives in Black Bourton, so we're often up your neck of the woods.
Just got your PM! ;-)
Wow! small world huh?!
We have been in Carterton nearly 7 years now...our longest posting yet!
If i ever get my Chi girl we will have to meet up! ;-)

·
Registered
152 Posts
Definitely, I'm sure Alfie would LOVE to meet a lady-friend. It might get him over the unsuitable crush he's currently nursing for Ruby the chocolate labrador in puppy class, I've told him it would never work out but he won't listen!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Definitely, I'm sure Alfie would LOVE to meet a lady-friend. It might get him over the unsuitable crush he's currently nursing for Ruby the chocolate labrador in puppy class, I've told him it would never work out but he won't listen!
aawww poor Alfie! that's so funny...choc labs are rather gorgeous though...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm tearing myself away before it gets any later! :-S
Just wanted to thank those of you that have taken the time to message me with words of sympathy and advice...I really do appreciate it and hope to stay in touch with some of you.

Night all...Kerry.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts