Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new and looking for some advice from those of you that have a number of Chihuahuas.

I have two well established male Chis. They are 3 years old and love each other very much. We want to add another to our brood but we have some worries.

They are not happy with other dogs and can be mean to new dogs that may come over from time to time. They are also not very happy around puppies - they're a little scared of them.

How do I go about introducing another baby? We're probably going to get another male but would anyone advise getting a female instead?

I hope you don't mind me coming straight on here and asking for advice but I was sure I could get some great help here.

Thank you in advance xxxx

·
Registered
47 Posts
We just added a 4th dog a male chi, number 1 is a 2y f yorkie and 2 and 3 are 1 year old male Chi's. I too do not have the perfect dog home but it works for us. ( they are not all friendly to dogs and such) Each one of them have accepted number 4 differently .Number 3 was the worst he was not happy,he was afraid and growled everytime the puppy looked at him.We questioned our sanity several times. The last 3 weeks have been alot of work with the new puppy and watching over the pack but as each day passes the furbaby is growing and the dogs are bonding.Just do it slowly and show lots of praise to the others for being gentle and good boys.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I think that they may get along with a female chi better, but if you are set on a male chi then try introducing them outside your house where they perceive as their territory to protect and then bring them back home.
Sometimes it does take time for them to get along and sort out their pack hierarchy, but they will get there

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
There are so many varibles here. I get new dogs here a lot. Some fit in like they were here always, some take awhile to fit in. A new baby is annoying, be sure to only let them be together under supervision at first. That said, it only took a day before Babushka was running full time with the pack. She had no trouble fitting in. The same with Sherman, he was about 4 months old when I found him and within minutes he was playing with everyone while Chumley, 10 months old, took a couple of weeks to be accepted. I guess the best advice is do it slowly at first and read your other two dogs as to how much exposure to the new baby they can stand. When I bring any new dog home home, I sit in something like a computer chair where they can't all jump on me and scare the new dog. After they calm down and start settling down, playing or curling up in their beds, I slowly lower the new dog in my hands so everyone gets a good sniff, about a minute's worth. Then back into my lap. I repeat until my other dogs are bored, about three times, then let the new one go. It works pretty good for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I think that time and taking it slowly will be the key - the smaller and younger of the two is the 'baby' and I think he will struggle the most at first. I'll be doing crating and meet ups outside of the house in the beginning.

It's a mix of apprehension and excitement. We're just 'ready' to have another Chi - it feels like the right time. I don't think you ever get over the longing for a new baby in the home. The 'nesting' period before they arrive, the cute puppy things they do... very exciting times.

Thanks again xxx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts