Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I need opinions here :) Do these look totally chi to you? lol

First is mom and dad. dad is the white patched one and mom is the long haired brownish one

now, Fawn female (that is fawn right? I get confused lol)

And cream male (that cream right? lol Cuz again, I get confused heheh)

Basically i am considering getting one of them (don't get me started lol Chi's are like chips and you all are a bad influence on me! :p)

I am freaked out cuz of Luna on how big she got and I don't want to make another mistake so I need chi experts here.....do these dogs look full chi and the pups too?

And a question about the long hairs....can the cream pup end up with long hair since he has a short haired parent and a long haired parent?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Don't freak out hun. I know how you feel. When we got Venus and she grew to be 13/14 pounds, almost the size of my moms rat terrier, I was super nervous when we got Jack, just expecting him to get big. It surprises me every day how small he is compared to Venus, and he's 6 pounds - what some people would call big for a chi. I'm no expert on how to judge by puppies, or we would have passed on Venus, but that's probably why the breeder got rid of the litter when they were just 6 weeks old :( All I can say is good luck, and they all look chi to me!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lol its hard not o freak out cuz Luna looked small to me, if not a bit chubby, but I mean heck she was smaller then Willy who is 3.5 pounds as seen in my siggy, but Lord after Christmas she hit a spurt and became a giant lol And pretty much, I feel dumb because I feel like I should have known she wasn't full chi :-( And, she was sold to me at 7 weeks, maybe for the same reason as you.
These pups are 9 weeks, almost 10 I think

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
IDK, but something looks wrong with the female pups eyes to me?
I think that might be from the camera. Venus and Jack's eyes look cloudy in pictures too if I use a flash. That is something to ask about tho, just to make sure.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
They look Chi to me, but the only way to know for sure is to make sure you get a copy of their pedigree (and remember, that's not necessarily AKC or any other database- a 'pedigree' is literally just a family tree.) Most people just feel they're only 'legit' if it's an AKC pedigree but it's not always the case. Granted there's no guarantee without DNA testing too to confirm it's actually the dog listed, but I have known breeders who just keep track on their own of the dogs lineage without actually registering the dogs in any of the databases. =)

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Wait, I thought you wanted your next pup to be a smaller / more standard female?
But it sounds like you want this male? He looks white to me. With a tiny fawn patch. Does he have any other patches?

Can't really tell what mom looks like from the picture.

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The White one with the fawn patch wouldn't be considered a "standard" Chi, but could be pure bred. That is always very hard to say without seeing their papers and pedigree. I can't see the other one well enough to comment. But both parents are well beyond standard size. They look about 10/12 lbs.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quinn , I am not necessarily thinking of breeding with this pup :)
i DO want a small female and one of them is a female, I am just having a heck of a time trying to judge size and if they are full chi lol Luna has me freaked out lol I totally don't trust my own judgement. The female looks more chi to me then the male, but I love the males coat lol The female is close to Willys colour.

I was told dad is 6 pounds and mom is 5 pounds. They DO look bigger in the pic, but pics can be so decieving. I have asked for some more pics of the parents. lol basically I feel ike I am being a pain in the butt e mailing them almost constant with questions hehehe
I am trying to judge too because it is almost a 2 hour drive for me, so its not just a well g o see them kinda thingg. My hubby doesn't know its a 2 hour drive yet lol that will be fun. So I don't think he will want to make the trip twice. Even once maybe lol

Anyway, here are a few more pics

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They have this one too but they are asking pretty much double the price because it is a 'tea cup" lol

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
The last pic you posted is more a standard Chi in looks and size. Now days people call anything under 6 lbs. teacups because they aren't near as easy to find as the bigger ones. And they mark the price up sky high. Don't be pulled in by all of that. Pics can be deceiving, but I can almost assure you that the parents aren't the weights they gave you. The pup in the last pic will probably be about 5 lbs. grown. That is just a guess, but it will be pretty close.

This is a 5/5.5 lb. standard male.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow T, that looks so small compared to the pics of the parents. I am just getting so confused :-(

Here is another pic of the dad

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Yep. I always try to tell everyone how small a 5 lb. Chi really is. They aren't near as big as many would think. That last pic of the Dad helps tell his size better. I'd say 8/10 lbs.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Well I think if you are really concerned about size you should try looking into more quality breeders. I'm not trying to sound snobbish or anything. But it sounds like the people you are finding are probably just through online ads or something of the sort since you don't really know about their breeding practices or lines.
I'm sure if you look up the website for Chihuahua clubs in your area they will have a list of breeders in the club. These breeders may not all be totally top notch either, but your more likely to find breeders with more of an idea about their dogs lines. Even if its not for breeding you still want the healthiest soundest pet possible.

I agree dad looks a bit bigger than 6 lbs, but can't be sure unless I see him in person. Also a breeder who uses the term teacup is a no no to me! I DESPISE that term. I get asked by just about everyone if Phoebe is a teacup. And I lecture them all LOL

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Here is a 4 lb. Standard male. (Chance)

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
T....Chance is just a little toot! lol not so tiny as Jade of course lol but he still looks tiny

Quinn I have looked up breeders in my area and hubby has a serious problem with paying 1500 to 1900 that we've seen

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol I thought about that and I really want to, but I am afraid I am being a big pain in the butt hehehe I feel so bad cuz I keep e mailing and asking for more pics

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
T....Chance is just a little toot! lol not so tiny as Jade of course lol but he still looks tiny

Quinn I have looked up breeders in my area and hubby has a serious problem with paying 1500 to 1900 that we've seen
lol I thought about that and I really want to, but I am afraid I am being a big pain in the butt hehehe I feel so bad cuz I keep e mailing and asking for more pics
Chance is a tiny lil fella'. Hard to believe a 4 lb. Chi is that little, but they are. :)

You can get a Standard Chi for less than 1,500/1,900. Even if you have to have him/her flown to you.

Don't be afraid to ask and request things. If they are straight shooters they won't mind. Get you a cheap postal scale (under 20 bucks) and take it with you. I had a breeder tell me that a pup I was looking at weighed 14 oz. at 8 weeks old. Well guess what, I took my postal scale with me and the lil guy weighed 1 lb. 14 oz. :lol:

I'm headed to bed. It's wayyyyy past my bedtime. :lol:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts