Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else's chi have a loose knee cap?
a month or so before i took sissy to the vet for her constant peeing.(glad to announce she doesn't go as often)... but the vet at that time says that sissy has a a loose knee cap in her right hind leg. :(. Poor sissy.

he said it doesn't look bad since she is figuritifly young (3yrs) and this is common for chi's (?)

does anybody else's chi have a loose knee cap? if so how do you deal with when issues a rise in walking?

i massage her leg alittle if she has trouble... she walks fine after ward

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Its called a luxating patella & what we recommended you have a vet check for prior to adopting a dog...if its just loose, then, it isn't luxating yet, but that just may have been how the vet described it to you so you understood.

They are "somewhat" common with chis. Treatment usually is initially glucosamine supplements, if it gets really bad, she can need surgery which is $1200-$1500 per knee. Some never need surgery, others do.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Lola has LP.. it was triggered last year when she jumped up for the post and then was limping for a few days after.. we got told she would need surgery and i was deverstated :(
After a week to see how she was gettn on it got better and she was weight baring so they decided surgery wasnt needed..
To this day Lola is fine but u can see on some cold mornings her leg gets stiff and she has a bit of a wobble to her walk.
U have to be soooo carefull with jumping, running and play fighting!
Mine get carried away some times and i have to calm Lola down bcoz im worried shes going to hurt her leg more!
Keep your eye on it, and be aware its there :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts