Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I been noticing my little chihuahua has a few bottom front loose teeth, and another one or two on the side. I did try removing plaque by scrapping it but it took a very long time and I still was a bit scared to get near the gum line myself..

I started using PetzLife Oral Care spray. And I bought Dental Fresh (to add to her water) by Synergy Labs. It has good review on Amazon as well.

But my question is... is there any way I can help save those loose teeth? Any natural ways I can help her get her mouth in better shape without going to the vet for a teeth cleaning? I wanted to get some advice, I'd rather avoid an expensive pet cleaning since she would have to be put under, and her teeth pulled.

Any Advice? Last time I went to the vet for her checkup he skipped looking at her teeth since she growled, I never thought of checking her teeth until a little while ago myself. I feel awful since I myself have a few bad tooth so I know they can be sore at times...

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Sorry, but a vet visit is imperative to get her teeth better cleaned/pulled. Growling is NOT reason for a vet not to look at her teeth. Sedation is very safe now a days. I don't know of anything that would retighten loose teeth.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but a vet visit is imperative to get her teeth better cleaned/pulled. Growling is NOT reason for a vet not to look at her teeth. Sedation is very safe now a days. I don't know of anything that would retighten loose teeth.
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will have to try toschedule her an appointment next week and go from there.

Does any of your Chihuahuas have teeth problems as well? What type of maintance schedule do you use? Oh and how much does it cost for a teeth cleaning? I was reading online that it costs about 300 bucks.

Maybe if I try to keep her teeth healthy after her 1st teeth sedation cleaning maybe I would only need a teeth cleaning every other year? Or maybe if I can keep her teeth clean by brushing and using the spay and drops she might not need to go back as long as her teeth stay clean?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
839 Posts
Chihuahuas are notorious for having teeth problems. Many need teeth pulled at young age. It's imperative that you brush their teeth if not every day, then at least more often than not (5 days a week, or something like that).

Price of cleaning will depend greatly on where you're located and the individual vet, but a few hundred dollars sounds accurate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts