Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You are all invited to come to a Chihuahua Meetup (party, gathering, get-together, ho-down, FIESTA!!!)

Date: Sunday, May 1
Time: Noon (we usually hang until the dogs get tired, usually around 1.5 hours)
Place: Barrington Dog Park
333 S. Barrington
LA, CA 90049

Dog Park Map and Info on their website:
http://www.fodp.org

If you like, check out our "official" Westside LA Chi Meetup website, although you do not need to join to attend !

http://chihuahua.meetup.com/11/events/

You can RSVP there or here (to stay informed in case there are changes) :

Hope you can make it!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I would be there in a Heartbeat! But, I live in Okla....dang it! :x There is supposed to be a Chi Meedtup Group here.....but no one ever shows up. :shock:

sandra

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Try going to:

http://chihuahua.meetup.com

See if there are others in your area. If there are, you could try that way. Also, do you have a Craigslist.org for your city? They have a pet section that you could ppost an announcement.

Aside from meetup.com and craigslist.org (for your city), I would just pick a date, a time, and a place (preferbaly a dog park). If it is a dog park, make sure they have an area for small/shy/timid dogs!

Then I would put up flyers at the pet food store, your vet's office, anywhere people walk their dogs. You could also send emails to local dog walkers, letting them know about it (and that it is free, so they don't think you're trying to cut into business). Most importantly, do you know other Chi owners? Let them know.

Opening it up to all toys might help you get more people there. Don't forget to have copies of your flyer so you can hand to any and every chi/toy owner you come across when you're out and about.

Finally, be prepared to be the only one there! The idea is for it to be a regular thing (we do it once a month, just started doing it twice because we have the interest). If you keep doing the rounds, people will catch on and start coming. My boys and I were all alone the first few times, but then it started to grow. If you build it, they will come!!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Thanks! very good advice! The thing is, there really is supposed to be one. But, it is very poorly organized. I have emailed the so-called "organizer" a couple times, but have never gotten a responce?? I was at "Soutern Agriculture" today (awsome store) for animals. I noticed that they have this enormous Bulletin Board that you can hang "advertisments" on. Someone was advertising the "Pug Meetup Group". I might try to do that. :)

sandra.......I'm also a ThreeDogMom of
Bruiser, Teddy Bear and Chloe :wink: :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You could also crahs the Pug party! People do it to us all the time! LOL

We actually have a lot of Yorkies who come. If your organizer is not on top of it, shoot an email to the staff at Meetup. They are very, very responsive. It could be that the person became organizer and then just lost interest.

It takes a little effort, but it really is worth it to see all those buggers running around and having a good time together.

Martina, who may soon be a Four Dog Mom. Doesn't have the same ring to it, but I guess I'd be a three chi mom, and that's pretty good. :p

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If I wasn't so dang busy right now, I would volenteer to be the Organizer. The first thing I would do....no more Meetups at PetsMArt!! :roll: That place is so busy and extremely crowded on Saturdays.....it is ridiculous! You have to stand in a little corner of the store holding your Chi, cause there are just too many huge dogs. Some are so big they can hardly be handled by a leash. Mastiffs, Boxers etc. Ionly take mine in there during the week. :roll:

I think a small Park would be a nice Meeting place?? Now that the weather is so warm. However, we are entering a bad "Tornado" season here In Okla. Would have to make sure it is a park that has a shelter. Last week we had a terrible Hail storm come through. I have Hail stones in my freezer that are the size of Golf Balls!! It scared my Chi's to death! You cant amagine how loud the noise is when it hits your roof! :shock: Dogs can really since when a "Tornado" is brewing. Mine will cry and get really nervous, wanting me to hold them. They no when it is time to get in the closet! :)

sandra

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is this where I do the "L.A." thing and rub our weather in?? I grew up in Ohio, and I have a tornado story.

I was driving from my folks house to Cincinnati, 45 minutes away. There was a bad storm, but I didn't think twice about driving in the storm. I had the music way, way up when I noticed Half-Pint (my first chi who has since passed on) turning in circles on the seat next to me.

I turned down the radio to try and calm him down, and that's when I heard the storm sirens going off. Tuned into an AM station encouraging everyone to take shelter immediately. I pulled over into a gas station, where several other people were huddled. Halfy and I took cover, and the tornado touched down (thankfully) a safe distance from where we were.

Three Chi-eers for Half-Pint, you're right the dogs can certainly sense when things are off. I'm counting on my babies to let me know if we are about to have an earthquake!

·
Registered
936 Posts
ThreeDogMom said:
Three Chi-eers for Half-Pint, you're right the dogs can certainly sense when things are off. I'm counting on my babies to let me know if we are about to have an earthquake!
I also am counting on Seiah to sense an earthquake. But he's so hyper everyday, so I ask him 'How am I supposed to know if an earthquake is coming when your always so hyper?' Usually he'll calm down when I talk to him so I figure it's one of his moments. :D

My fiance on the other hand has sensed most of the earthquakes in Calif. and in Iran. This weird thing happens to him, right before an earthquake, about 5 minutes, he'll wake up (usually sleeping when an earthquake hits) and wait for it. As soon as things start shaking he goes back to bed :roll: ...what a weirdo! :p He always tells me how he swears he was a Chimpanzee in a past life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts