Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed Lacey is losing more fur. She is 15 weeks so could this be her losing her puppy coat:confused: I remember when Addy lost her coat she had big bald patches but since Lacey is SC and dark it just seems more pronounced :( She's eating well ...and plays like a maniac. Weighed her this morning and she has gained an ounce and a half since bringing her home last week.

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Oh no! I would get her to a vet and have them do a skin scraping to make sure she isn't having any underlying issue? I don't think SC lose their puppy coat like that!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh no! I would get her to a vet and have them do a skin scraping to make sure she isn't having any underlying issue? I don't think SC lose their puppy coat like that!
Ugh!!! Seems like it got worse over the weekend. I looked at her this morning and was shocked :(

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Yeah that is a lot missing! I know sometimes stress can cause them to lose fur/shed, but it seems more than that. Is she itching? It doesn't look red/irritated, but I so would have her into the vet pronto.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know she had some missing on her right side when I brought her home. Michelle said she thought it was from the feeding tube. But now that has gotten alot worse and she has some missing on her left side too :(

Oh...not really itching.. just the occasional ear scratch

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I would definitely get a skin scraping done too. That's not normal. There might be some overall thinning, etc. but not whole patches missing like that. Looks like it might be demodectic mange?

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Yes, definitely not normal. Good luck at the vet! :)

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
Let us know what they find out! I did google pics of mange to see if it looked like what she had, but everything they show is so far gone b'c it wasn't treated there just isn't much of a comparison...let us know what the vet says!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
(I know they all have the demodex mites in their fur, but sometimes stress can let them over-take? But I am looking at pics of it online and it doesn't look the same so now I am very curious!)

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
(I know they all have the demodex mites in their fur, but sometimes stress can let them over-take? But I am looking at pics of it online and it doesn't look the same so now I am very curious!)
Right, sometimes it causes a problem for puppies as their immune systems arent as developed. Reese had a small round bald spot on his side when we got him that turned out to be demodectic mange. We didnt treat it, just kept an eye on it and his immune system kicked it on its own. Usually I think though its defined, round spots that grow, and usually its more concentrated on their face/head. Maybe Lacey has a different type? Ill be curious to hear what the vet says, she has lost quite a lot of her coat since the last video I saw.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I agree with you Kristi. The pictures I found on the web for either demodectic or sarcoptic mange were so severe. I can't imagine that's what she has!!

This is demodectic mange...

This one is sarcoptic mange ....

I'm anxious to hear what the vet said too!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Aw I hope everything goes well at the vet and they can help settle this. The ladies gave good advice. Def not normal. Kizzie and Shayley are dark SC and their coats have never been like that while losing their puppy coats or weather change. Bless her heart! Will be looking for the update hon!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The vet said it was Demodex:( But not of a contagious kind. He refered to it as "inconvenient". He said it was genetic. He didnt do a skin test because he didnt want to break her delicate skin. She is too small for any treatment right now. He said what brings it out is stress and hormones. He said best treatment is spaying her but of course she is not big enough. He is putting her on an antibiotic daily just to prevent infection and wants to see her every 2 weeks to monitor it and her weight. I just pray she puts on weight soon!!!

She went crazy in the waiting room. So many BIG dogs she wanted to play with. I had a hard time containing her. She is not afraid of anything. She has the most amazing personality for a chi.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He said not all dogs have it. Its in there genes or not. That its most likely stress that caused her to lose it so rapidly over the weekend. He wanted to know who was taking care of her. Of course since I work all weekend hubby was the care giver. Hubby assured me he was giving her alot of attention. Vet said she could just have missed me :confused:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Demodectic Mange (half way down) Demodex it doesn't look like it is something that is genetic? Not as if you are going to breed her anyway ha ha. I do think her being on a better diet will help her immune system amp up.
Kristi...thanks for this information!!! It makes sense. Hopefully over time her new diet will help. The vet seemed pleased that I was feeding Ziwipeak. I also have some Nupro and the article mentioned supplementing with it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts