Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently read the thread titled "puppy needs" in the Articles section and I have a couple of questions. I think I'll just number them, so if anyone wants to answer a particular one, it would be conveninent. :)

1.) I am getting my Chi on Friday, and we are taking him straight to the vet's office for a check-up. Do you think that's a good idea? Should we wait a day? We have other pets in the house, and I thought it would be a good idea to know if the pup has a parasite in his system. Would it too stressful for the dog? He is going to be in a carrier with a blanket with momma's smell. We're also going to have Nutri-Cal handy.

2.) Second, the article suggested giving plain yogurt to the puppy, which we always have at home 'cause I LOVE it. Should we give him fat-free, reduced-fat, or regular? Does it matter? (I think I will add this question to the list of questions I am asking the vet :) )

3.) Third, can I take the new puppy out on car rides if he is always on lap or in a carrier? Like when we take our car through the car wash? Or drive-thru coffee? I would never leave him alone in the car, but if there is a quick errand like going to the post office or to a store for one item, I thought it might be some kind of socialization for him to stay in the car and look out the window with one person, while the other person runs into the store.

4.) Our other dog eats Innova (the green package, not EVO or puppy), should I feed the pup Innova or Innova puppy? It would be difficult to feed them different food, but I can manage if I have to. I've read that it doesn't matter but I don't know. (Another one for the vet as well :) )

5.) I also thought we would give him canned food for the first week or so. Is that a good/bad idea?

6.) We give our other dog Innova cookies, Zukes mini naturals, dehydrated pork liver, Nature's Recipe (petsmart's training treats) as treats. At what age can I start to give any of these treats to the baby boy? Should I start his training with kibble?

7.) Okay, just one more question. He is tiny! How much energy should he have? Should I expect him to run around and play for 20 minutes, and nap for an hour? When should I be worried about how much he is napping? He is a pretty laid back little guy, and when we got our other puppy, she was always full of energy and ready to get in trouble. I guess I don't know what to expect from a chi pup.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I want to be the best mommy I can be for this little pup. :)

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
question #4: i always fed my puppies puppy food for the first 9-10 months and then switched to adult food.

congratulations i can't wait to see pics of your new little guy :)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
First of all congrats and welcome to the forum! I will try to answer all of your questions to the best of my ability, so here it goes:

1) Sorry to answer your question with a question, but did the breeder recently take your new chi to the vet? I know the breeders I've dealt with took my chis to the vet right before they came to me. If you chi didn't go to the vet recently, I would take her since you have other dogs in the house. Maybe it's good to get all of the stress out of the way.

2) I would give fat free personally. Also, just make sure you DO NOT get the kind with aspartame in it. Also, you only want to give a little bit as too much can make your chi get diarhea (sp?).

3) Trips shouldn't be a problem. If possible I would put the puppy in a crate or in a car seat for dogs for safety purposes. For socialization, I would take your puppy to places like PetSmart, Petco, the bank, the post office, etc. but only once your chi has had all shots.

4) I would personally give the Innova Puppy formula if possible because I know the content is a bit different. You could definitely ask the vet too for his/her advice as you stated above.

5) Canned food is not a bad idea. However, I would try to keep the puppy on the same diet that the breeder had him on. This will prevent your chi from getting an upset tummy. Trust me, you dont' want to upset his tummy. From the stress of travelling and from the stress of me changing her diet, my chi had diarhea for the first two weeks I had her and I mean really bad. If you do change his diet from what the breeder had him on, make sure you make the change very very gradual. In other words, mix the new food in very slowly...little by little each day. You should probably take at least one to two weeks to switch over to the new kind of food completely. I hope this makes sense. Also, if you are going to give canned food, choose a holistic brand, such as Merrick canned food (I highly recommend this brand).

6) I think with the treats, it varies, but you should look at the feeding guide or instruction on the bag that the treats come in. It normally tells you I believe. For now, I would just mainly give him the food. Get him used to that first before introducing too many new treats as this may upset his tummy. He will be under alot of stress adjusting to his new environment and such so you dont' want to stress his digestive system too if possible.

7) I got my chi when she was 7 weeks old (yes I know, too young). She basically was up every hour, but she mainly just slept. I dont' think it was until she was a couple weeks older that she actually stayed up and played running around and stuff. I know when I first got her, I had to sleep on the couch and she slept on my chest. I think the sound of my heart beating helped her sleep. An alternative to this would be to get a clock and put it next to him, which will mimick the heart beat. Also, another good thing to do would be to get hot water and put it in a bottle and wrap it with a towel or cloth. Then, your baby can snuggle up to it. This will mimic the warmth that he was getting from his brother/sister and or mother.

I hope what I said made sense. Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, good luck! Welcome to the forum, and congrats! Keep your questions coming. That's what we're here for... =)

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Zero & Co. said:
I have recently read the thread titled "puppy needs" in the Articles section and I have a couple of questions. I think I'll just number them, so if anyone wants to answer a particular one, it would be conveninent. :)

1.) I am getting my Chi on Friday, and we are taking him straight to the vet's office for a check-up. Do you think that's a good idea? Should we wait a day? We have other pets in the house, and I thought it would be a good idea to know if the pup has a parasite in his system. Would it too stressful for the dog? He is going to be in a carrier with a blanket with momma's smell. We're also going to have Nutri-Cal handy.

2.) Second, the article suggested giving plain yogurt to the puppy, which we always have at home 'cause I LOVE it. Should we give him fat-free, reduced-fat, or regular? Does it matter? (I think I will add this question to the list of questions I am asking the vet :) )

3.) Third, can I take the new puppy out on car rides if he is always on lap or in a carrier? Like when we take our car through the car wash? Or drive-thru coffee? I would never leave him alone in the car, but if there is a quick errand like going to the post office or to a store for one item, I thought it might be some kind of socialization for him to stay in the car and look out the window with one person, while the other person runs into the store.

4.) Our other dog eats Innova (the green package, not EVO or puppy), should I feed the pup Innova or Innova puppy? It would be difficult to feed them different food, but I can manage if I have to. I've read that it doesn't matter but I don't know. (Another one for the vet as well :) )

5.) I also thought we would give him canned food for the first week or so. Is that a good/bad idea?

6.) We give our other dog Innova cookies, Zukes mini naturals, dehydrated pork liver, Nature's Recipe (petsmart's training treats) as treats. At what age can I start to give any of these treats to the baby boy? Should I start his training with kibble?

7.) Okay, just one more question. He is tiny! How much energy should he have? Should I expect him to run around and play for 20 minutes, and nap for an hour? When should I be worried about how much he is napping? He is a pretty laid back little guy, and when we got our other puppy, she was always full of energy and ready to get in trouble. I guess I don't know what to expect from a chi pup.

Thank you so much in advance for your help. I want to be the best mommy I can be for this little pup. :)

Hello there,
1, How old is the puppy? I am sure he will be fine....

2, I have never heard of yogur but while you are at the vets you could ask then.

3, Taking him/her in the car with you is fine but I would never leave him/her in the car alone.

4, You can change the puppies food to Innova puppy but you will have to slowly change it.;) adding alittle mixed for the first few day.

5, I made that mistake and there is hardly anygoodness in them so really I wouldn't bother. I just give the it soaked at night for a change or some scrambled eggs.

6, Not sure about this as I am from the uk.

7, Again this may change in each pup, Kasper is always active....were as Ella used to rest much more, but saying that pups should be very active. Kasper hardly ever sleeps but when he does it will be for around two houors.

These are only my opinion, everyone is different.

·
Registered
51 Posts
#1-If the pup has had a vet check, I think you could wait on that, but it doesn't really matter.
#2-If your puppy is eating his puppy food, I don't think supplementing with yogurt is necessary, but it might be nice as a treat. I would ask your vet.
#3-Car rides are good. I think you can leave the pup in the car alone if you are making a quick trip into a store as long as it's not too hot or too cold.
#4-I would ask your vet.
#5-How old is the pup? If he can eat dry food already, I'd stick to that.
#6-I'd take it slow with the treats-as you get to know your puppy-you'll know what is right.
#7-Mine we're very active but then they'd all of a sudden crash. It really depends on the age and on the pup.
Congratulations and enjoy your new puppy.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT !!!!!!! QUESTION 4 AND 5
Ask the person where you are getting your puppy from what they are feeding it and if you want to change it do it very gradually otherwise you could end up with a very sick little puppy if you just give it whatever you feel it should have x x lots of luck x x

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
1. it does not matter as long as you have his first shots
2.yogurt as a treat not much
3. car rides are okay as long as your chi is in a carrier and the seat buckle is holding the carrier
4.puppy food changed gradually if different from what the breeder is giving him.you can feed an all stage dog food like natural balance which you can buy at petco or online
5.i personally would just crush the dry food and add some water to make it pasty looking for about two weeks more less

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Re: #3 ~ Rides in the car are great especially if you plan on taking the puppy everywhere with you after he's had all his shots. My little one is too small to ride in the car seat we have so I put her in her carrier and fasten that into the car seat. That way she sits up high enough to see out and she loves it. When she's bigger she'll go into the car seat. I think the sooner you begin taking them in the car the better, as it becomes just another part of their day. If they only go in the car to see the Vet they're not going to like the car for long! Best wishes with your new little one. Be sure to post pictures.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I know breeders that tell you to give small amounts of yogurt during the first week you have your new chi because it will boost their immune system due to the good bacteria that's in yogurt. If you give small amounts, this should'n't be a problem, but will actually be good (at least in my opinion).

·
Registered
98 Posts
Innova is A GREAT food, I would ffeed the puppy formula though, unless you go with EVO, that is a all-life stages.

Yogurt is great too and so is cottage cheese.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts

Many breeders state in their contract that the dog must see a vet withint the first 2-3 days. I odnt nessicairly thing imedaitly upon picking him is is nessicary but i doubt itll do much harm, infact it might be best to get that intial check up over and out of the way so he can focus on settling in.

2.) Second, the article suggested giving plain yogurt to the puppy, which we always have at home 'cause I LOVE it. Should we give him fat-free, reduced-fat, or regular? Does it matter? (I think I will add this question to the list of questions I am asking the vet )

You want to use all natural fat free, organic, none flavoured yoghurt. i wouldnt give too much (1 teaspoon every other day.) the probiotics in the yoghurt help with any stress upset, but yoghurt is still a darily product and to much dairy will upset the tummy so 1 teaspoon everyother day would be more than enough.

this is more than fine. PLEASE never drive with the puppy in your lap (or loose) make sure theres always someone else in the car or the puppy is securly in a car carrier or specially desighned car seat. otherwise Yes keep trips short at first and build up with lots of praise! Its good to get them used to the car early!

4.) Our other dog eats Innova (the green package, not EVO or puppy), should I feed the pup Innova or Innova puppy? It would be difficult to feed them different food, but I can manage if I have to. I've read that it doesn't matter but I don't know. (Another one for the vet as well )

What does the breeder feed? feed the puppy the same food the breeder feeds at first, you want to slowly wean puppy off the food the breeder feeds and onto innova puppy, innova is a good food but id feed puppy untill the chi is 9-12 months of age.

i would stick to dry food, wet food can often be too rich, you also tend to have the problem with chis becomming picky eaters, if he decideds he prefers the wet food over the dry food switching him back onto dry will be very difficult, Dry food is much better for their teeth.

you can start training him with treats as early as 8 weeks, just keep training (and treats) to a minumin and slowly build up...however if he likes his kibble enough to accept it as a training treat theres nothing wrong with that!

puppies tend to have 3 modes, eat, sleep play. the majority of those should be eat and sleep...i wouldnt worry about sleeping too much to be honest, just make sure not to overehert the pup. if hes been playing for an hour then crashes, dont wake him up, let him sleep for a few hours...our pups have always tended to be awake for an hour, sleep for 2 hours a similar kind of scale would be what id expect, puppy may be more active, but i wouldnt expect any less active than that :)

good luck with your puppy and be sure to get plenty of pictures...and feel free to ask ANY questions youd like!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts