Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone who may not know, Domo is a 1.5 year old yorkie. He's just under 4 lbs. A few months ago domo's vet mentioned that he felt some knee joint problems when examining him. Does that mean LP? I'm taking him in for an overall exam in a few weeks, but I know a lot of the members here have experience with this. It doesn't seem to affect him now at all. I don't notice him walking funny or anything strange. If it is LP or some kind of orthopedic problem, what steps can I take to make it less bothersome for him down the road? He uses stairs to get to and from the couch and bed already. Should he not go on long walks? Do a lot of jumping? He's a hyper little guy and likes to run around.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Hi, perhaps your Vet could maybe feel some "looseness" around the joint, this could be a pre curser for future knee problems or on the other hand may not get any worse. If I were you I would err on the side of caution and maybe start to do everything you can to strengthen the joints and ligaments around the knee which will only be beneficial for Domo anyway. You can do this by ensuring he gets regular exercise, particularly walking on inclines, swimming if it is possible and a good quality joint supplement are all good habits to promote joint strength. I wouldn't encourage a lot of jumping but the use of steps etc is great.

·
Administrator
5,713 Posts
Keep him fit and keep him lean, extra weight will make any joint issues worse. Add glucosamine and chondroitin to his diet, either as a supplement or by including more foods that are rich in them naturally, like trachea and chickens feet. (All cartilage and joints are good sources)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts