Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok am getting some more pics from the breeder :) Here is a few pics of Luna's parents....I see where she gets her size from lol First two are of mom and second two are of dad...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
She looks A LOT like her dad! Everyone was saying she looked like her mom and I didn't see it but her dad totally! Her mom looks more like she could be a Pure Chi but just from not so good lines. Her dad looks like a mix to me though. Maybe Chi x Rat terrier? Or a few other things thrown into the Chi background possibly.

Anyway, yep I think Luna gets her looks from her dad!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quinn, I am wondering maybe if mom is pure (and maybe like you said not from great lines) and dad is a mix, would that make Luna maybe 3/4 chi kinda thing? Or even if dad was 3/4 chi. He looks chi, just big and same kinda features as some of MChis bigger ones :)I totally see her in her dad, though I see her in her mom too. I think she looks like dad, but her features are softened by moms look.

Here is mom pg again

And here is a few recents of Luna

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I think they all are cute.And dad might be fullblooded or 3/4 chi.But either way Luna looks just like her dad.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes Luna has a bit slimmer of a face like her mom, I see that now.
And her dad may only be half or only 1/4 or maybe 3/4 you never know. Her mom may also be slightly mixed. I'd probably think Luna is around 1/2 chi, though she could be more could be less no way to know really. Even the vet DNA tests are not all that accurate from what I've heard.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really? :-( I was hoping it would be pretty accurate. I was going to ask the vet about it when I took Rosa in for her yearly shots in March

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Enjoyed seeing the pics of Luna's mom and dad. Easy to see that double dose of black/tan/tri. lol We have 4 black/tan chis, one tri color chi, and one tri color mix chi/terrier. The other chis are chocolate, fawn, reds, and cream. Lots of variety here..:)

Of course any speculation I might make will be purely that "speculation" ..lol But I think mom is full chi (deer type head) and dad is the mix because of his flat skull shape between his ears. Anyway, I love them both.. I have big chis and little chis, kinda like people of all races... under the skin we are exactly alike!!
Blessings, Deb

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
No, from my understanding the tests aren't that accurate. I'm sure the ones the vets do are more accurate than the home kits. Still worth a try, but I've heard some REALLY ridiculous results from the tests.

Someone I know with a small dog (and small I mean like 8-10lbs?) whose results had St.Bernard as a good portion. Ummm yeah NO. Maybe they mixed up the results... Anyway I'd be wary about what the results say. Also they don't tell ALL the dogs in the lineage either in some cases.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I think the mum looks something like a terrier cross...I am not seeing chi there...those paws the overall shape of her..jack russell/beagle/ something...very sweeet looking she is...my gradnmother had a mutt like that looked like her she was the sweetest dog..not a chi mix.

·
Registered
881 Posts
i think her dad looks like my German Hunt Terrier Louis

and this is his size compared to Baby he is 11.9lbs and baby is 4.8lbs

doesnt matter what they are they are still beautiful

·
Registered
354 Posts
i do love the pics, small, large short or tall, black or brown they are all beautiful. I would not trade mine for any other dogs in the world.

:)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I had a response written but my browser crashed... I'll try to recreate it but I'm running out of time, so here's the short version lol :p

Firstly, Luna really does look like her parents! I agree that her mom softens Luna's father's features.

Secondly, I thought that maybe I am crazy but I almost see some pug in the father. That could make him a bit bigger, stockier, and square off his head and muzzle a bit. Also, I can't tell for sure, but his tail looks pretty curly from the second photo (but of course, dogs can look like all sorts of mixes without being any of them!). Dad's definitely a mix, and mom still looks like a mix to me, but I agree that it really could go either way. I love the dad's expressions in those photos though! too cute!

I had some stuff about DNA testing written too, but I can't remember it all. I just know that there's a lot of controversy about it, with some people claiming it is fantastic and others saying that it's a complete waste of money. The only things I do know are that there were a lot of issues raised when that list of "ancient breeds" (which dogs are more closely related to wolves) came out. Also, you want to make sure that the test you use has an extensive database of breeds. Many seem to be missing a lot, from what I've seen, and so your results won't be accurate (assuming they work, of course- if they don't then there's nothing you can do!)

Here are some of the links I found- I think the first one is the best, since they tried a few of them:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204518504574416810535466706.html
http://www.canineheritage.com/general_faq.html
http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-accurate-are-dog-breed-dna-tests.html
http://www.azcentral.com/families/articles/0520SCI-DOG-BREEDS-ON.html

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the links ;-) I am short on time but I will definately give them a read later. I have been meaning to look up some of the DNA info

1 - 18 of 18 Posts