Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you guys feed lung, do you consider it meat (like heart, tongue, gizzard etc) or does it count as an organ (like kidney, liver, brain)? I've heard both and I do feed lung, but I'm not really sure what to count it as.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I consider it organ. *shrugs* We don't feed it too often, but as organ when we do.

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
I've wondered about this too. I just thought it was meat. Not sure that it secretes anything and I thought that organs generally secreted hormones and such.

·
Registered
923 Posts
There is a HUGE debate anywhere you go. I figure it I count it as organ, they will get it every so often... whereas if I count it as meat, I might "over feed" (as hard as it is to get).

I agree, though, that it doesn't secrete anything. Also, it FEELS like meat not organ. Heh.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
I have heard/seen it mentioned as both ways organ/meat. But personally I consider it a meaty meat. This is something I found on Catster:
Scientifically speaking, lungs are not secreting organs, i.e. glands. A gland is an aggregation of cells specialized to secrete or excrete materials not related to their ordinary metabolic needs. (Secreting organ - definition of Secreting organ in the Medical dictionary - by the Free Online Medical Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.)

& another one I found:
Life is Better with Sheltie Hair: Raw Food Diet: Our Average "Menu"
"What Exactly Counts as "Organ"
An organ is anything that "secretes". These include: liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas, thymus (also called sweetbreads), testicle, and brain. Items that we often associate with organs, but more accurately count as muscle meat when taken in the context of a raw diet, include: heart, gizzard, tongue, tripe, stomach, intestine, and uterus."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts