Chihuahua People Forum banner

Luxating Patella

650 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Ms_P 
#1 ·
Hi,

My little 8 and half month baby chi,had surgery on her right hind leg 4 days ago for a laxating patella,at the moment she is restricted to her crate more or less as she has to have strict rest for 4 weeks (you try resting a bouncy chihuahua!) she is doing really well,she is putting full weight on it now.The main problem is complete boredom for her,i have her out with me on the sofa alot but when she is in play mood and wants to jump down i have to be a bit strict and stick her in her crate to stop her hurting the leg....i am finding it really really hard and i feel really awful for her,but what can you do? i suppose i have to stick with it as it is for the good of the dog in the long run. Has anybody else on this forum had laxating patella with thier chi? i would love to hear if anybody has,i could do with some support....

Paul and Pebbles xxxx

#2 ·
My chi Koke has had both of her rear legs done. Not at the same time though! She wore a cast on each leg for about 2 weeks, that was enough to slow her down considerably. After the cast came off she was on pain meds for a couple of days, then she just couldn't go up and down stairs or jump. She has never been able to jump on the couch without using a step so I just removed the step for a couple of weeks and lifted her up and down.
You are right about it being for the good of the dog to get it done. She only holds her right leg up now when it's really cold outside, it was the worst one, the left leg she never holds up anymore. I do not regret having either operation done at all. It's a little tough at the time, but you have to remember it's only temperary. The end result is soooo worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.