Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poor Pixy has a Luxating Patella and needs surgery :( ! I am so nervous. Does anyone know if there is any other way to correct this problem without surgery?? My vet is going to charge me about $2,000 for this procedure. Is this a normal price or am I getting scammed?? I would appreciate any info/ advise :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
LUXATING PATELLA ?

What is Luxating Patella, and what are the symtoms ? I have never herd of this before ? Please let us chi owners know all you can on this.

Smidgen's & Chassis mom

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
If I were you I'd get a 2nd opinion, just to be sure. It sounds like you don't fully trust your vet? I don't think my vet would ever try to scam me or recommend a surgery that Lily didn't really need... if I had doubts, I'd find a new vet.

I'm sure others here will have some more opinions and info to offer. Whatever you decide, good luck with your Pixy. :)

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
Hi! remember me?

My Koke is having the Luxating Patella surgery today.
Just wanted to let you know that for x-rays and the price of the surgery that is about right.

Here is a link for info

http://www.workingdogs.com/vcpatlux.htm

Edited to say: No there is no other way to correct the problem. If you go to the link and read the info you'll see why.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: LUXATING PATELLA ?

beth said:
What is Luxating Patella, and what are the symptoms ? I have never herd of this before ? Please let us chi owners know all you can on this.

Smidgen's & Chassis mom

Hi there,
A luxating Patella is when the knee cap gets dislocated and the animal no longer can walk ok on that leg. If not treated, it can become much worse. The only way I found out something was wrong is because my Pixy started limping and would sometimes cry out from the pain. I guess its common among small breeds. Pixy is only 10 months so I never expected her to have this problem so soon :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ms_P said:
Hi! remember me?

My Koke is having the Luxating Patella surgery today.
Just wanted to let you know that for x-rays and the price of the surgery that is about right.

Here is a link for info

http://www.workingdogs.com/vcpatlux.htm

Edited to say: No there is no other way to correct the problem. If you go to the link and read the info you'll see why.

Good Luck!
Ok, thanks for the info :) I hope your Koke does well and recovers fast.

·
Registered
4,825 Posts
[quote="Cute Pixy
Ok, thanks for the info :) I hope your Koke does well and recovers fast.[/quote]

Thank You! And good luck to you and Pixy too!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kemo's Mamma,
The vet said she was a grade 2 or 3 and that surgery was a must. I took her to a different vet yesterday and got a second opinion. She also agreed that Pixy needs to have surgery. The good news is that this vet was recommended to me by several people and she is going to charge $800 instead of $2,000.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Cute Pixy said:
Kemo's Mamma,
The vet said she was a grade 2 or 3 and that surgery was a must. I took her to a different vet yesterday and got a second opinion. She also agreed that Pixy needs to have surgery. The good news is that this vet was recommended to me by several people and she is going to charge $800 instead of $2,000.
Oh yes that grade should be done-they say 2.5 and up....how wonderful that the vet is recommended and cheaper thats a BONUS!!! :D
Hope all will be great and swiftly recovered

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cute Pixy said:
Kemo's Mamma,
I'm glad you got the 2nd opinion and that you feel a lot more confident now. But why such a difference in price? Any ideas? I'm always skeptical when I am quoted too low a price. :lol:

Good luck with the surgery and recovery. I'm sure you're doing the right thing for your baby. :)

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Hi there! Great deal on the surgery, my guess in the difference in price is the type of surgery. For grade 2, 3 the normal procedures are a trocheoplasty where they just dig out a bigger groove for the kneecap, and place holding sutures on both sides to keep it from popping out further. Or an imbrication where they just relieve tension on the other side and it helps keep the patella from sneaking over and luxating. Both are relatively easy procedures for someone who is experienced.

The second type of procedure which is a more "permanent" solution that is used mostly for grade 4 and 5, is a patellar tendon replacement (tibial tuberosity transposition), where they shave off the bone that connects the lower part of the patellar tendon to the leg, and move it over, and apply permanent pins to keep the tendon in it's new position, and the kneecap will follow.

I'm guessing that one doctor thought the second procedure was necessary, but the second doctor thinks the dog will do fine with the first type, either that or it's just a WHOLE LOT cheaper =)

It's something that is commonly done with these small breed pups, and we're seeing less and less of it as breeders have been selectively leaving highly susceptible luxaters out of the breeding circle. Good luck with the surgery!

-Nate

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, my Killer had to have sugery on both her rear legs due to luxating patella - I was so worried. We had 1 leg done March 7 and she is doing so well I called my vet to see if we could schedule the second one early - they recommend waiting 2 months between surgeries. It was awful when I brought her home her backside and whole leg were shaved and he little leg was so swollen - but she is a trooper and we exercised her leg as much as possible and she was walking on it within 2 days - she did remove her sticthes (even with the lampshade on) and we had to have them put back in - and still I highly recommend this surgery. You would not beleive the difference it makes - you can really tell the other leg is giving her problems, she was 1 yr when she had the first surgery and total for both legs is $3,000. She will get the other leg done on May 16 - we can commiserate! She did have her bones shaved and her whatever tightened.

Good luck to you and your little one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on Pixy

I finally brought Pixy home after having to leave her for 2 nights at the vet. She is sleeping a lot and cries a little. When I first saw her, she started crying :cry: maybe she was saying to me, " mom! look what they did to me". She was overjoyed to see her toys and was really thirsty. I think they only gave her a minimum of food and water. She has a pink cast on (so cute) and is learning how to walk on it. She is also starting to hop on her good back leg and lifts up her hurt leg. She is in good spirits. She was given an anti-inflamitory medication and a pain medication called Rimadyl. I recently read the article about this drug and how it can be fatal. I am terrified of giving it to her now. I think I should call the vet and request a different med. What do you suggest??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts