Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya folks!

My chi, Flea is 2 years old and very bowlegged. She came from a backyard breeder - who basically used her to push out puppies - and obviously didn't care about bringing new babies into the world with bad constitutions. Now, Flea's legs are not bothering her now....but at times when she is running, jumping, she will fall...then immediately right herself and carry on. It doesn't seem to cause her any discomfort whatsoever (aside from the ocassional faceplant).

I do know this situation CAN get worse and that dogs can get surgery for it. My vet advised me against surgery ..saying he wouldn't do it to his own dogs. It means weeks of discomfort and limited movement and no guarantee that it will work.

Having said this - I do know that glycosamine can be beneficial in helping joints - esp. knees. And anything I can do to avoid future surgery is what I want to . My dog's food (natural balance duck and potato) does not contain glycosamine..but I am planning to purchase some over the counter @ my local pharmacy.

I was just wondering if anyone else applies liquid glycocamine to their dog's food - and if so - how much? She is 4.7 lbs.

*IN the meantime, I am making sure she jumps onto pillows when she jumps off the bed/couch, etc.....for less knee impact. **

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
I would greatly recommend the supplement. I give Kemo some of my pills that I take it has Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM. I give him a third of a pill a day. I mix it with Liverwurst. You really cant give too much MSM....and I think the same for Glucosamine. EACH DOG has different needs and it is up to you to adjust the dosage, start low and work your way up. Check I-dog message board they talk about it alot do a search on it.
My pills have 500 mg Glucosamine
400mg Chondroitin
500 mg of MSM
Kemo does not have problems but I am being proactive. Keep your dogs weight down too that will help. You should find out what grade (level)your dog is at and I do think surgery would help and give quality of life and the sooner you do it BEFORE arthritis sets in they will fair much better. Get a second opinion. NO it may not be easy but it may be worth it. Absolethe (?) has alot of info on it too, maybe PM her. :wave:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts