Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that some of the people on the boards own Macs. I've been a PC guy for a long time, but have been curious sometimes. I was looking at possibly picking up a used mac laptop to play around with. What I'm looking for is one that can do basic things, and hopefully run as new of the version of mac os as possible (for as little as possible). With a PC laptop, I know what processor speed, memory, etc, I would need to get decent performance, but I don't know with macs. How fast of a processor would I need and how much memory? I see that you can pick up used macs on ebay for decent prices sometimes, but I don't know if they're too old to be useful

·
Banned
3,566 Posts
Problem is mac is you pretty much buy them from apple as is, you can put more memory in and a larger harddrive etc but as everything is made by apple you can't really source things from other places, Currently they're intel core 2 duo.

Are you looking for a laptop or desktop? You could probably get a 2nd hand one my old emac will still run everything but I prefer my macbook :) As for OS you do need Tiger which is the current up to date one, not sure how much stuff runs on Panther I struggled even getting itunes to run as they'd updated it all. Also Leopard is coming out later this year and ooo it looks good hehe that and CS3 and I'm away ;)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'd be looking for a laptop. I have enough desktops around... lol. I know what you mean about the way that Macs are much more proprietary than PC. That's why I've tended to PC. What I'm basically looking for is to try and figure out how fast of a processor and how much memory would be worth it. For instance If I found a windows laptop with 300 to 500mhz processor, I'd avoid it if at all possible. I'd know that hardware wise it wouldn't do much. Is it the same for mac? How much power do i need to run the latest OS with decent performance? Also.... the ability to connect to my wireless network would be needed

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
My PowerBook G4 runs the latest OS no problem and will be running Leopard as soon as it comes out :D It has 1.67 GHz processor and does everything I need it to do. I mainly work in Photoshop. I could do all my freelance artwork on my laptop but I prefer working on my iMac because it has a larger screen.

I also have an older iMac that has a slower processor. I did my freelance work for years on that computer :wink:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jen said:
My PowerBook G4 runs the latest OS no problem and will be running Leopard as soon as it comes out :D It has 1.67 GHz processor and does everything I need it to do. I mainly work in Photoshop. I could do all my freelance artwork on my laptop but I prefer working on my iMac because it has a larger screen.

I also have an older iMac that has a slower processor. I did my freelance work for years on that computer :wink:
As I said, I'm at a loss when it comes to macs. When I browsed on ebay to see how much they run, I saw several ones that were 5 to 600 mzh processors for a couple hundred... but I know i wouldn't buy a pc that slow, I wasn't sure if Macs were fundamentally different. I heard at one point that macs did not need as strong hardare to run it's OS, but i don't know if that's true anymore

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
i don't know about that one brian. i had an old iBook G3 but it had a 1.33 GHz processor. even my old iMac has a 1 GHz processor. they also have OS 10.2 on that laptop and Leopard will be OS 10.5 so that is a jump. my very first mac was a mac desktop and i did have to eventually replace it because i wasn't able to use the newest OSX on it.

i found this...
http://lowendmac.com/musings/07/0618.html

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hi Brian... I wouldn't take that ebay listing you posted. It seems to be an older iMac running a G3 processor. The G3s are really getting old and I know you wouldn't be happy with it. You basically couldn't upgrade the OS when it comes out because the processor would be WAYYY to slow.

At home I've got a 14" iBook running OSX10.3 with a 1.33Ghz processor and I do most of my freelance graphic design on it no problem. Meaning: I run Adobe CS1 (intensive software) without an issue.

At work, I'm on an AWESOME 2.66 Ghz dual-processor and running 10.4.9. It's blazing fast and can run CS3 without any hiccups.

If I were you, I'd look into the ibooks and powerbooks with G4 processors. As with PCs get as much RAM as you possibly can. Like this one (though it could use a bit more RAM...http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-iBook-G4-1-42GHZ-512MB-60GB-SD-14-1_W0QQitemZ190128572506QQihZ009QQcategoryZ4602QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
11,144 Posts
ChiFan said:
Wow... I am NOT having luck with the forum! I posted a nice message, then when I went back to edit it, it was gone! Hmmmmm...
hi :wave: i sent you a PM about the posting delay a few days ago :) we have to moderate the first 10 posts of every new member due to the type and amount of spam we get here. there is a delay because the new posts/threads won't appear until a mod validates them :wink:

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
How much are you looking to spend on one? A friend of mine has one that he's wanting to sell...its a really nice one...I'll have to get the details from him though, but he's just wanting to upgrade his to a newer version.

And I absolutely looove mine! I had never even looked at macs before I bought mine. I was just wanting a new laptop & my friend convinced me that I should get a mac. I don't think I'll ever own a pc again! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts