Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The girls are both 7 months and it's time for them to be spayed. I called the Los Angeles humane society and they set me up with a local shelter that has a spaying / neutering clinic, they go this Sunday morning and I was told I'd get them back by the afternoon. It's $100 each, plus free microchiping and medication is included in the price.

I'm a nervous WRECK. I made the appointment yesterday and I've been thinking about it none stop, it's making me nauseous.

Oh, by the way Olive says "HI"....

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
It is so nervewracking having them go under for anything. Of course your girls will be fine but it doesn't stop it from being scary :( sounds like a very good price and glad they also will chip them for you...heck my stupid vet charges $75 JUST to microchip!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Venus was barely over 3 lbs when we got her from the shelter. She was healthy, but way too thin. She got her spay before we got her home the day after her spay, and she never once acted like anything happened to her. She had only 2-3 stitches and she didn't even scar. She was bouncing around everywhere right away despite us trying to keep her calm. I think the recovery depends on the dog just like with people.

That's a great price for the spay surgeries. I called about getting a dog spayed that I might have adopted off of Craigslist (before I got my new rescued yorkie and mini poodle), and it was going to be around $200 with the rabies shot that the vet required and the pain medications.

I hope everything goes well with your two little girls.

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Make certain that you have a list of things to do, places to go and people to visit. Do not just plan to sit and worry for the day. You'll need to be rested and calm to care for them. Remember that.

I had both Hope and Ruby spayed on the same day. Eden, who came along later was spayed on her own. Having both done at the same time is really great. That way the non-surgery one is not jumping on the recovering one, etc.

I took a few days off work and we just cuddled and rested.

I had 3 done within 6 months and each one responded COMPLETELY differently. I almost wrote a post about it to help others.

It is actually good that it is soon. I booked ours a month out and fretted for a month. You just have a few days.

·
Read Only
1,949 Posts
They will be fine :). Lion & Penny were done at a low cost shelter clinic as well. I almost would feel more comfortable having the shelter do it, just because their vets spay/neuter SO many tiny kittens/puppies/etc. Both of mine were out of it the first day or two and then bounced right back.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, your post are making me feel better :)

I figured getting them done at the same time would be better for them AND me. That way one wont bother the other. They normally sleep in bed with me (high bed) but I'm planning on sleeping on the couch and setting up a pallet on the floor next to me, but knowing the they'll want to just be on me constantly.

I work from home so I'll be able to be there with them afterwards. If I had to predict how they'll react after the surgery, Olive will be sluggish and sleep a lot, Lily... haha I have a feeling Lily will be the drama queen and cry a lot. When Olive got her shots she never had soreness or whined, where Lily acted like she was bruised all over for a good two days.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well today's the day. I brought the girls in early this morning and will get them back this afternoon. I started crying on the way there but once I walked into there waiting room full of other dogs and cats who were there to also get fixed I felt a bit better. There was a male dog there who looked just like Lily and he was so cute.

Now I just wait and worry. I'm thinking of going to the store and getting them some little tshirts so they don't mess with their stitches. I'm so scared for them.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I know it's hard not to worry. *hugs* And they will be home before you know it. Go clean something or go shoping, it will make the time go faster.

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Checking in to see if RansomMusing has her little ones home yet. Hope she lets us know.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey everyone! The girls are home, my roommate came with me to pick them up. Olive was very quiet and sleepy on the way home, Lily was very alert and crying a lot.

Once we go home Lily peed on her pad right away and Olive pooped. They both ate a big meal of Ziwipeak and were still hungry for more. They're now sleeping on me on the couch.

I'm so relieved to have them home and to see they're ok.

I was able to get two $30 off coupons for the girls so paied only $140 for two spays and microchiping.

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
Wow. That is a crazy good deal!! We couldn't get Odie to eat or drink anything after her spay, she was so sick. Glad yours are both doing great. Now you don't have to worry about it anymore!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Yey!! Glad they're home with you now. :)

Just make sure you prevent them from moving too much. They tend to act up especially when the pain meds are still working.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much everyone.

The hardest thing right now is stopping them from jumping off and on the couch. It's not very high, but I'm worried about it

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Glad they are home safe and sound.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Hi Olive!

It's getting time for me to do the same for Holly. I'm still waiting to hear back from the shelter I applied to. The cost for spaying is only $20! I don't know if it includes micro chipping, but that doesn't matter as it's such a good deal! I already got Holly chipped anyway (cost $30). If they accept me it should happen sometime towards the end of next month, which couldn't be better timing as Holly will be 6 months old. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

Hugs to you and your pups!

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My prediction was right, Olive has been very quiet and sleepy while Lily has been anxious and has been crying off and on. Last night we slept on the couch and they just woke me up licking my face like they always do, looking for breakfast. I hid their morning pain pill in their food and they gobbled it up.

They both seem really good this morning, although that means they're jumping and getting too excited at times.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts