Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have really been tossing the idea around get a playmate for Lady. She tolerates all dogs but only seems to get excited about small dogs. There is another chihuahua in our neighborhood that she just loves. They are adorable together. I made an initial inquiry about the little guy in the link below this morning (via email). This is the same breeder that I got Lady from. I am pleased with her as a breeder. This is a tiny dog (2.1 pounds) should I worry about how small he is? Is he bound to have health issue, short life due to size? There is a video link embedded in the link below.

Caesar

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
He is just gorgeous! I thought he was lovely and then I saw the video of him with his constantly wagging tail! I hope you get him coz I've fallen in love already!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
He is super cute but I personally would worry about the size. A friends Chihuahua has the same weight (she rescued him from being kept in a rabbit cage) and I was shocked how tiny and fragile he was compared to Rocky.

Also accidents can happen really quickly. As we were all sitting in the living room, the dogs playing, my friends tiny Chi fell off the sofa and layed on the floor without moving. He had to go to the vets straight away as he had a seizure. That was really scary and I am sure if he was bigger he would have been fine falling off.

Also I know that she always keeps him in a little fabric crate when she is gone as her other 2 Chihuahuas are a lot bigger compared to him and she is scared of accidents to happen (which I can totally understand).

I am not telling you that you shouldn't get him but just trying to show what can happen and how much extra care and attention he will need. If you think you can handle it than you should get him :).

·
Registered
139 Posts
He is adorable! I have two his size. You just need to be really careful, accidents can easily happen with tiny ones.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Oh is he beautiful! Yes, there are concerns with his size. I would weigh if you think Lady would be okay playing with a dog that small? Is she gentle or rough? Dominant or submissive? Do you currently have stairs to the couch/bed for Lady? If not, you'd need them for this guy for sure.

If you think Lady will be okay an you guys can handle the few extra precautions you'd have to take for him, is say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Oh is he beautiful! Yes, there are concerns with his size. I would weigh if you think Lady would be okay playing with a dog that small? Is she gentle or rough? Dominant or submissive? Do you currently have stairs to the couch/bed for Lady? If not, you'd need them for this guy for sure.

If you think Lady will be okay an you guys can handle the few extra precautions you'd have to take for him, is say go for it!

Sent from my iPhone using PetGuide
Lady is exceptionally calm and gentle. I don't she think she would be too rough. He is very tiny. I think he is adorable but Lady is 5.5 pounds. The breeder said they would be fine together. I trust her on this since she knows both dogs, remember i got Lady as an adult. We actually don't have stairs for Lady. She can jump to the couch and jumps down too. We put her on the bed and she does not jump down on her own (our bed is one of the higher beds). The nice thing about that is, she stays up on the bed all night which I kind of like. If we added stairs, Lady could get up and down too....hmmm. I do like the fact that I can walk Lady but I doubt this little guy would walk far.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Oh and when the breeder emailed me, she told me of another dog she is selling. He was also used to breed. I always loved this one and saw him when I got Lady. He is 3.5 pounds and I love his coloring. This is Prince Valiant. I think my heart has been quickly steered in this direction!

Princevaliant

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I wouldn't bet that he can't walk far. Mylo has had 2 hours worth of walks a day since he was 12 weeks old and then ran around the house and played for hours) He was about 2lbs then. I also believe that Bella (belongs to ~LS~, I think she's 2.7lbs) does several hours of walking a day and also gets let off to run around with the bigger dogs.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Oh and when the breeder emailed me, she told me of another dog she is selling. He was also used to breed. I always loved this one and saw him when I got Lady. He is 3.5 pounds and I love his coloring. This is Prince Valiant. I think my heart has been quickly steered in this direction!

Princevaliant
He is cute but I much prefer the first guy. He just has a really sweet face and I love the way he seems so happy the whole time he got petted.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
He is cute but I much prefer the first guy. He just has a really sweet face and I love the way he seems so happy the whole time he got petted.
I am worried about how small Ceasar is. Prince Valiant is a confirmed walker. He loves walks and does well on a leash I am told. Some of the same issues related to a small pup might still apply as he is 3.5 pounds, still smaller than Lady at 5.5. I really like the tri-color, he and Lady would have a nice contrast in appearance while the coloring of Caesar is much like Lady minus the mask. If I decide to see one of them, I'll check out both and see which Lady seems to prefer. There is a huge difference in price (over a $1,000 difference between the two). Why is it the smaller they get the more expensive they get? They are both AKC registered as is Lady.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Jaxx is 3.85 pounds and he can do just about everything. If it isn't too hot we normally walk about 5 miles a day. He can get up on the couch and other furniture all by himself and get down too. The only place he cannot get up onto is our bed but I like it like that. I like that if I want to take a nap and put Jaxx on the bed I know he will not get down (he tried it once before I could catch him and never tried it again.)
The only thing I am very careful about kids picking Jaxx up but I think I would by that way even with a 8-10 pound dog. My rule with the neighborhood kids is if they want to hold him they have to sit on the ground.
I think if it were me I would prefer the one that is 3.5 pounds. They are both adorable but at 3.85 pounds I worry about Jaxx getting stepped on or something and getting hurt. I think I would go nuts worrying about a dog that is under 3 pounds and likely won't get any bigger.

·
Premium Member
5,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ouch! That's a lot if money! Because the smaller they are the more sought after they are because small=cute.
Aww, I know we are all biased to our own but I think Lady is adorable and she is a 5.5 pounds! I guess another factor I have to consider is my indoor cat who is 13 pounds! Lady and the cat pretty much ignore each other so I doubt there would be a problem. I do hate that Lady seems to have taken over the kitty bed and the cat does nothing to hold her ground!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Smaller they are the more time and expense the breeder has to put into them to make sure they will be healthy and self sustaining (from diseases etc). Also my two little ones are full of energy, I wouldn't bet that Ceasar wouldn't be able to walk far. But when you got to see them you will know which one is for you :)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm another one with a wee chi, and I agree that being tiny doesn't mean they can't go out on walks. Lyra has gone on walks with Wren (the husky) and me, and kept pace, for all that she had to take 4 steps for every one of ours. ;)

Smaller chihuahuas aren't necessarily prone to more illness in their life than the bigger ones, though sometimes that small size is due to a congenital problem like a liver shunt or hydrocephalus. They are also more likely to retain baby teeth (but, really, a lot of chis need retained baby teeth pulled) and the tinier mouth means even more crowding with their teeth, so brush those chompers or prepare for routine dentals. I do also think many of the bitties have luxating patellas.

However, if Caesar was bred by a responsible breeder and she was showing him, it seems most likely his limbs are sound, and at 15 months, he'd very very sickly if he had a liver shunt and showing symptoms if he had hydrocephalus. And if he's already neutered, he's probably had any retained baby teeth pulled, already. So, health-wise, I expect he's in good shape.

As others said, while the smaller dogs aren't exactly more accident prone, if they do fall off of something or get stepped on, they can get hurt more easily. But, at least in my experience, if you use common sense, you avoid most potential accidents.

In the end, it comes down to personal preference. Some folks love the itty bitties, some prefer a dog that feels sturdier, some aren't fussed about size one way or the other, because other traits being right are more important to them.

I do think a 2lb and a 5lb dog can play safely, if the 5lb dog is gentle.

But, having said all that, it sounds to me like your heart is really with Prince Valiant, and if that's the case, that's the boy you should bring home.

(Also, I just have to add, looking through all these photos, the breeder's little 'doggie dioramas' are awesome and hilarious.)

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
All of her dogs are gorgeous so just see which ones personality you're drawn to. I'm not bothered about size really. Mylo is charting to be between 5 and a half and 6 and a half pounds and he's a sturdy little thing. That's a great thing for me because I want to have kids in the future and I won't have to worry as much. He runs around and bangs his head on the floor or headbuts us when he's playing and doesn't even notice! I like ceasar not because of his size but his happy temperament in the video.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts