Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tim is at the vet now with Madi, because she was still limping today.

The vet diagnosed her with Luxating Patella and we're going to have to take her to an orthopedic surgeon!!

i am FREAKING OUT!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
Oh shoot. That's why I posted on your facebook that I hoped it wasn't her knee. First things first though.... take a deep breath Emily. Find out from your vet what stage the knee is at. There are different severities. Just because her patella luxates does NOT mean automatic surgery. Get all the information first and then make a calm and rational decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'm trying to be calm and rational :) It's a good thing Tim's the one at the vet, though :) they're doing x-rays now. I know it's not the end of the world, but she's just our little girl, you know??!!

The vet said it would have happened eventually, even if she hadn't had the accident, but i feel like such a bad puppy mom right now!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
Oh wow. I'm so sorry. But like Brodysmom says, breathe.

There are many stages of luxating patella and right now you don't know anything, other than a general statement by the vet that she has patella issues. If I know you, you've already hit the internet to do your homework, and you're thoroughly researching this issue as we speak! So you're already finding out everything that we can tell you here, other than perhaps some anecdotal information from other members who've gone through this.

Keep us info'd, keep breathing, keep taking those baby steps as you work through this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,558 Posts
so sorry you and Madi are going through this :(
hopefully, it won't mean surgery; but, if it does, just know that
many dogs have this and make a full recovery. keep us posted.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
Emily, you are NOT a bad mom!! If she was genetically predisposed to a luxating patella, then NOTHING you could have done would have prevented it from eventually happening. OK?

The good thing is that she is young and healthy. This is just a bump in the road you will have to get through. Maybe she will need surgery to correct it, maybe not. It's not an emergency. You have time to do some research and gather information. Many dogs have luxating patellas and live long normal lives, ok? The x-ray will give you the information you need to decide what to do.

If she does end up having to have a surgery, there are people here who have been through it who can help you. We are all here for you!!!

((( hugs )))

Tracy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, the vet is already talking surgery - $1,000-$1,500 - and who knows how much recovery time.

I just don't want it to affect madi's quality of life. she loves to walk and run and play and fetch -she'll still be able to do those things, right?!?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh wow. I'm so sorry. But like Brodysmom says, breathe.

There are many stages of luxating patella and right now you don't know anything, other than a general statement by the vet that she has patella issues. If I know you, you've already hit the internet to do your homework, and you're thoroughly researching this issue as we speak! So you're already finding out everything that we can tell you here, other than perhaps some anecdotal information from other members who've gone through this.

Keep us info'd, keep breathing, keep taking those baby steps as you work through this.
and yes, i'm already researching online - but everything is pretty much saying surgery! At some point - i just hope not right away!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,596 Posts
Aww Emily am so sorry for you and wee Madison.
Hopefully it wont mean surgery right away.
Will be thinking of you all. xxxx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,441 Posts
The vet is calling the specialist in Indy now. she might be going in for surgery tomorrow!!!!!!
Wow, is it that severe? What a roller coaster. So sorry you are going through this Emily. I know there are people here who have had the surgery done and hopefully they will chime in with some helpful information. Is it just one knee or both??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,206 Posts
OK, I don't know anything about your Vet or the severity of the issue, and don't really know much about luxating patella, either. That said, do NOT rush into anything. Madi isn't dying. This issue is NOT affecting her to the point she's completely debilitated. You have time, time to do more research, time to get a second opinion, time to see if there are other alternatives. I know you care about her and want her taken care of, no more discomfort, etc., and want to be a good chi mom. I get all that. Still, there's NO HURRY! If a little more research, a second opinion, more information, presents you with other options rather than immediate surgery, or even gives you complete reassurance that you're doing the right thing by HAVING the surgery, then I urge you to take the time while you have it, while you have that option.

This all sounds so rushed and frantic (maybe it's not and I'm reading more into it) when there IS no emergency in the true sense of the word. I'm not trying to downplay your concerns or Madi's condition, not at ALL, just attempting to inject a little breathing room and time for a little more reflection and research before you jump into surgery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
708 Posts
Oh I am so sorry Madi has LP, I felt the same way as you now, when I found out that Peppi has LP, just crying and crying for days. After that I spoke to two really good orthopedic specialists, went to three other vets to find out as many opinions as I could! At the and I decided to wait with the surgery, because Peppi is not in pain and never ever limped, although she has grade 2/3 in her right leg. I know that one day we probably have to go in for the surgery and it's killing me :(
Fingers crossed for Madi
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
16,071 Posts
Oh Em, I'm so sorry to hear this. I do agree you shouldn't rush into anything. She could go for years without needing the surgery depending on the severity. Did they grade the LP's? I would get a second opinion at least. Many times if it isn't causing pain, they wait. I know you are scared, and this is so much info for you all at once. I think they are kinda rushing you though, and not giving you time to do some research. It really does help relieve anxieties for you and Madi both to really understand everything completely. Vets do this stuff everyday, so sometime they don't think to take the time to explain in depth. We wish you and Madi the best through all of this. I will be praying for you guys. (((Hugs)))
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,271 Posts
I agree with the rest ... Chico has LP in his right hind leg. He still runs and plays and shows no sign of pain. He only has problems trying to jump up on the chair or couch, but he does accomplish it sometimes. take your time and check things out....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
0 Posts
Ah Emily, I am so sorry to hear about Madi.

Our last dog a cavalier had it, but we didn't know until he was about 8, when one day he went down the patio steps and let a yelp out, he was in awful pain and had to have the operation that day. I wonder if we had known beforehand and if he had surgery to repair it, would it have prevented it slipping out so badly, it ended up being quite an intensive surgery as he had damaged the whole area and it had to be wired and pinned together. 6 weeks after it was done it slipped out again and the wires snapped and had to be replaced, but that was only because the damage was so severe from the injury.

After all that he was fine, obviously it took a while to recover from the surgery, but once he did - he was perfect again :) well as perfect as the poor ol fella could be, he had a lot of problems. :(

So if it happened one of my dogs, and it was diagnosed as needing surgery, I would certainly go ahead and get it done as soon as possible. I really believe that Ringo's was so bad because it went undiagnosed and untreated until the injury.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, I don't know anything about your Vet or the severity of the issue, and don't really know much about luxating patella, either. That said, do NOT rush into anything. Madi isn't dying. This issue is NOT affecting her to the point she's completely debilitated. You have time, time to do more research, time to get a second opinion, time to see if there are other alternatives. I know you care about her and want her taken care of, no more discomfort, etc., and want to be a good chi mom. I get all that. Still, there's NO HURRY! If a little more research, a second opinion, more information, presents you with other options rather than immediate surgery, or even gives you complete reassurance that you're doing the right thing by HAVING the surgery, then I urge you to take the time while you have it, while you have that option.

This all sounds so rushed and frantic (maybe it's not and I'm reading more into it) when there IS no emergency in the true sense of the word. I'm not trying to downplay your concerns or Madi's condition, not at ALL, just attempting to inject a little breathing room and time for a little more reflection and research before you jump into surgery.
oh, i agree! I feel completely rushed! But, just spent an hour talking to tim and feel a little better about it now. I have been doing research all morning (who needs to work anyway :)) and the vet said she thinks it's probably stage 3, which would definitely need surgery.

We have an appointment wednesday with the specialist - just to talk about it and see what's going on - if she doesn't need surgery right away, we may put it off, but if she does need it, this is really a good time, work-wise for it to happen.

I would go for a second opinion, but there isn't another vet in the area i trust - at all. I've heard really good things about the vet clinic we're going to in indy, so hopefully they'll be honest with us.

it seems crazy that it went from not an issue at all to suddenly so serious, but i'm not sure i would have noticed either way. I feel like i've always thought her back legs moved funny.

My issue is just that she gets back to normal and is able to run and play and do all the things she loves again. The look of joy on her face when she runs just melts me, so if surgery will restore that, then I'm okay with it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,056 Posts
Oh no I' so sorry to hear this. Your friends are all here to give you support. There's nothing you could have done to change this, the fact is even if you knew before you picked her that she'd have this you would have still chosen your little Madie.

I know nothing about this so all I can't offer any advice sorry. I'm just sorry this has happened, I know how upset you must be feeling. Once it sinks in and you get some knowledge on board I think you'll feel a lot better.
 
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Top