Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I regularly receive magazine updates from the Dogs Trust as i participated in a sponsered dog walk a few years back to raise money for homeless dogs for them :)

I was reading an article in my last magazine, in which they had stated the number of "handbag dogs" they had coming in for re-homing over the last couple of years had steadily increased, these included Chihuahua's, Poms, Yorkies etc etc.

What i found really sad was apparently a lot of these dogs were not socilised properly, wouldnt walk on a lead as were to terrified as they had always been carried everywhere, and just didn't basically know how to behave like dogs. :(

I don't want to start a debate but what do others think of this, as i do think it is quite sad, i don't know if other UK members watch The Only Way is Essex, but there is a white shortcoat Chi on there that just constantly shakes & looks traumatised, gets dressed up in stupid outfits and gets wheeled about in a pushchair, and to me just seems to get treated like a child / accessory :foxes15:

Prehaps i'm mean but both my dogs walk on the legs they were given. I very rarely pick any of them up in fact my Chi hates being picked up.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I believe that you LOVE your dog by allowing
him/her to still be a dog along with all the love
you give them.

Of course I say that while I sit here typing with
Jax curled up in my lap.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think a dog can be a lap dog and a purse dog. Epic practically lives in a purse when I've got her out shopping, or on transit when she's not technically allowed. But any other time (i.e. on the sidewalk, or in dog-friendly stores including everything from PetSmart to the poshest furniture boutiques downtown) she walks on her own legs.

On the other hand, I do have a problem with these types of articles. They make it sound like it is such a huge problem finding homes for these dogs. Yet, it is partially (if not entirely) because the rescues are absolutely nuts themselves and want to collect up all the dogs and keep them in their geographic area.

I am in a major city, and I frequently pop into the animal shelters here. I've done so about a hundred times in the last several years. There are NEVER small, highly adoptable dogs. There are RARELY even big dogs. The runs are maybe 10% to 25% occupied at any given time, and just by the considerably less adoptable dogs (behavioural issues, barking, no cats/no kids, physical limitations) so it isn't like we truly have a pet overpopulation problem the way it is portrayed in the media. I am sure there are bigger overpopulation problems in other parts of the world, but here in Toronto (which is a decent sized city in its own right), you can't find a "purse dog" in a shelter all that easily. Heck, you can't even easily find a Sport prospect - a young, prey driven, over-the-top active dog that should be the EASIEST dog to find in a shelter because they drive their owners crazy! So to the rescues in the rest of the world... We have lots of room! Send some our way! But in reality, they won't even entertain adoption to those out of their immediate area, so what can you honestly do?

A while back, my husband and I inquired on a long-distance dog. We were willing to hop on a plane to meet in person and carry the dog home fully at our expense. We are more than well qualified, and have many references. But the rescue wouldn't entertain a long distance placement. Another one: We recently inquired on a local adoption through a small dog rescue, but were denied because two of our existing dogs were intact at the time (the male has since been retired and neutered) being fully registered, active competition dogs. They've never been bred intentionally or otherwise, to each other or to any other dogs. Yet that precluded us from being a home for that dog. So, when a fully qualified, active training/sport home can't adopt a dog because either a) they're long distance, or b) they've got other purebred, registered, actively competing pets that are intact for the time being then there IS a problem. But it isn't an overpopulation problem.

Phew. Rant over. :)

Can you tell we have been a little disappointed with the whole formal adoption process??? I stick to browsing Craigslist and Kijiji now.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I follow your line of thinking Redlilly, just because I think dogs are wonderful for what they are and they should be able to be what they are happily in a safe, loving environment.

I explained to everyone our dog has 4 legs which lets us know she is twice as capable of walking as we are. And I am not one for putting her in a bag and sneaking her into places that she has no interest in. I know our dog could care less about the shampoo isle in Target or what's selling at Costco. I personally wouldn't want to live life and see life confined in a bubble ~ so I don't do that to her. We make sure she has plenty of time with her people, she has not known loneliness ~ she has learned to entertain herself and be on her own a bit~ she is comfortable with us, never met a stranger she fears & she comfortable with herself ~ to us that's important. We don't dress her up (she has sweaters for warmth when weather dictates the need) and she potties outside. Daily she is around people and critters who adore her, and she usually meets someone new every single day but she is expected to behave ~ just because she is a cutie-patootie doesn't mean she can jump all over someone and go nuts and act like a terror.

It makes me so sad when I see a dog trembling in fear because life scares it. To me that is every bit as neglectful as not providing unselfish love, medical attention, proper nutrition, etc.

Everyone does their own thing and believes what they believe, the above is just what works for us. And even though we don't put her in a bag and take her shopping and dress her up for tea-parties we love her to bits and she is happy. Like Christabelle I say this as she sleeps snuggled in behind me at the office ~ we share a chair :) she comes to work with me daily.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Tulula would love to be carried everywhere and is a nightmare to walk, and I do make her, she does all that shaking business at first but soon gets over it. And teddy who loves walking and also joins my husband on a run now and then, and loves it, there is no way you could carry him around he would go mad. I do believe that they should use their legs, but some may not like to.

·
Registered
3,727 Posts
All mine walk except Twiggy, she has a carrier only because she's tiny and walks on three legs. I believe they are dogs, even if they are small and cute. Mine wear clothes, sweaters or jackets, only when it's cold, I have two that have very little hair and sit and shiver if the weather dips even a little. But they are expected to act like a dog and walk like a dog once they have all their shots.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both my two dogs wear rugs when its cold & wet, as my boy is a drip and hates getting wet. Infact i do have to admit they have more than one each, Penny hs a jumper when its cold & a waterproof rug and Nero has an array of waterproof, fleece, and other rugs to keep him dry & warm. These are used for a purpose, i dont see the purpose in hoodies and little outfits.

I'm not saying its wrong at the end of the day people can do what they like with their animals.

everytime i tell people i have a chihuahua though they atuomatically think its this little thing that is helpless and is all dressed up and cant do anything for it's self. My little girl is the most independant dog i have ever known, she would have given my Rotties a run for their money :D

I let her be a dog, because formost thats what she is regardless of her size, she goes out for walks gets filthy runs round like a loony and she loves it, :happy3:

I'm not dead against dogs wearing items when its for a reason, attached is a pic of Nero in his Weatherbeeta rug waiting to go out ;-)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Cute! I love how it's reflective that would help me at night verifying the poo ~ reflective patch drops Bingo I have action!

And yep to each their own ~ Grandma always told us to tend to our own knitten' it was pretty solid advice :)

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I think a dog can be a lap dog and a purse dog. Epic practically lives in a purse when I've got her out shopping, or on transit when she's not technically allowed. But any other time (i.e. on the sidewalk, or in dog-friendly stores including everything from PetSmart to the poshest furniture boutiques downtown) she walks on her own legs.

On the other hand, I do have a problem with these types of articles. They make it sound like it is such a huge problem finding homes for these dogs. Yet, it is partially (if not entirely) because the rescues are absolutely nuts themselves and want to collect up all the dogs and keep them in their geographic area.

I am in a major city, and I frequently pop into the animal shelters here. I've done so about a hundred times in the last several years. There are NEVER small, highly adoptable dogs. There are RARELY even big dogs. The runs are maybe 10% to 25% occupied at any given time, and just by the considerably less adoptable dogs (behavioural issues, barking, no cats/no kids, physical limitations) so it isn't like we truly have a pet overpopulation problem the way it is portrayed in the media. I am sure there are bigger overpopulation problems in other parts of the world, but here in Toronto (which is a decent sized city in its own right), you can't find a "purse dog" in a shelter all that easily. Heck, you can't even easily find a Sport prospect - a young, prey driven, over-the-top active dog that should be the EASIEST dog to find in a shelter because they drive their owners crazy! So to the rescues in the rest of the world... We have lots of room! Send some our way! But in reality, they won't even entertain adoption to those out of their immediate area, so what can you honestly do?

A while back, my husband and I inquired on a long-distance dog. We were willing to hop on a plane to meet in person and carry the dog home fully at our expense. We are more than well qualified, and have many references. But the rescue wouldn't entertain a long distance placement. Another one: We recently inquired on a local adoption through a small dog rescue, but were denied because two of our existing dogs were intact at the time (the male has since been retired and neutered) being fully registered, active competition dogs. They've never been bred intentionally or otherwise, to each other or to any other dogs. Yet that precluded us from being a home for that dog. So, when a fully qualified, active training/sport home can't adopt a dog because either a) they're long distance, or b) they've got other purebred, registered, actively competing pets that are intact for the time being then there IS a problem. But it isn't an overpopulation problem.

Phew. Rant over. :)

Can you tell we have been a little disappointed with the whole formal adoption process??? I stick to browsing Craigslist and Kijiji now.
I wish the perception of the media would be true. Unfortunately, when our rescue gets a call to pick up 30 Chis at one shot from ONE shelter, I can assure you in parts of the US, the problem is almost catastrophic. California is particularly bed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.