Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
FINALLY..I've waited forever! I only have one pic..and it's from my cellphone and was during the ride home. Fiance was nice enough to drive the 4 hours home so I could cuddle him in my lap!

I LOVE him. <3 <3 <3

Oh, he weighs a little under 2 1/2 lbs. He did very well in the bath and now smells lovely instead of kind of like pee, lol.

He's very shy and wants to cuddle into me constantly. If you look closely at the picture, he has oddly colored front nails. I'll try and get better pics tomorrow but I'd like to give him a break for now. The nails have a brown discoloration around where they emerge from the toe itself. The back nails look normal..but the front ones are all like this and evenly so. There's some weird white spots near the surface of the nail on the brown as well, reminding me of when I bend a nail backwards and it turns white. The nails don't seem quite as smooth as his back nails either... I hope it's not a fungal infection or something worse. I'm making a vet appointment for a check up and I will have them look quickly. I don't think it's regular coloration, as it doesn't look like anything I've ever seen.

More pics to come tomorrow!

·
Registered
10,596 Posts
Awww he is adorable!!
Congrats!
Are you sure the nails arent just cause of his coat colour?
Darla has some nails with a little white on them and others are full black, she has 3 colours in her coat.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think so. His back paws have multi colored claws but they look very different. The colors blend in smoothly and the nails are shining like normal puppy claws, the front claws are very lackluster and don't shine at all.

If I run a fingernail gently over the surface they aren't smooth like the back ones. I don't know..maybe they are supposed to be dark and the breeder used a dremel and rubbed the color off? I'll email her and ask. She did say they were trimmed just recently...but the black nails in the back aren't like that.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
He is so cute!! Looks likes a butterfinger blizzard..from DQ..he is perfect!
lol a butterfinger blizzard.. perfect!!! You are so right! He is just adorable..Congratulations on the new family member.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much! ..and I agree...he does look like one! <3

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! I was so excited I thought I'd burst. When we got home I bathed him, dried him then made him a little sweater out of some thick socks I bought just for that purpose.

He did very well and just let me put it over his little head and fit it properly. He acts like it's not even there, which is a relief! My house can be chilly sometimes and I want him to be used to sweaters. He ate a little, then right now he's crashed on my lap with the sock sweater still on..<3

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
VERY CUTE! Congrats!

Not sure about the nails, I know some dogs just have discoloration, or the dremel thing is possible with the texture difference... hopefully you'll get an answer and its nothing.

·
Registered
16,946 Posts
wow!!! i just love his colors! awww!!! what a cutie! i cant wait to see how he looks when hes more grown up! and goodluck at the vet tmorrow i hope that nail discoloration is just normal ;)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Aww, congrats on your gorgeous pup!! I think merles are so interesting...especially in his coloration. :) As for the nails...I believe a couple of my pups went from light to dark nails as they got older so I wonder if his are just beginning to change color? It wouldn't hurt to ask the breeder about the texture difference though. Good luck at the vet....I hope the visit goes perfectly!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
New pictures everyone! Fresh from this morning. He slept in his crate just fine and I set the alarm really early. He was crying after being silent all night so I was betting it was bathroom time, sure enough, he peed outside and was brought to bed for a nap..then play time!

Huh, can't I sleep a little longer?

What did you just go and get? Are those toys?

No..it's just some weird thing that clicks at me...

I'll just get cozy on mom's lap. ( Mind the Pajamas. Lol )

So comfy here...

Wait! That clicky thing IS a toy!

Erf! I really gots it now!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
More pics...Took the sad little fraying sock sweater off him. I'd love to sew it up but I don't have anything to do it with. It'll do for now.

What's this? ( Sorry, didn't notice the camera focused on his ear! )

*After a scratch* Hey! Quit kicking me!

I'll show you!

Getting a little sleepy...

I think I want a nap, mom. Quit clicking at me already!

Good night!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here's a closeup of his claws.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts