Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, Maia had to go to the vet today because she has had runny stool for a few days and yesterday it had a tiny bit of blood in it. I had to take a stool sample in to rule out worms, which thank goodness it came back negative for worms. The vet thinks that it's due to her chew bones and possibly her food. So as of right now she can't eat for 24 hours. Starting tomorrow she has to be on a bland diet for 3 to 5 days which will be boiled chicken and boiled rice, then she also starts amoxicillin to kill any bacterial infection she may have. I also have to put a dietary supplement on her bland diet. Right now she acts like she's starving to death, and I feel horrible that she can't eat but I want this problem to go away...... I've decided to change her food as well. She's been on Royal Canin Chihuahua 28 but I'm going to put her on Blue Buffalo Basics for puppies. It doesn't have wheat, corn, eggs, soy or anything else like that in there. My only question for everyone is, seeing that she's going to be on a bland diet for almost a week, do I still have to mix the new food with the old once she goes back on kibble????? I hope everyone else's pup's are doing well.....

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh sweetie sorry Maia is not feeling well. I hope she bounces back in no time.
Once it's time to come off the bland diet, I would instead of mixing old food
with new, I would mix the new food with a bit of the bland diet for a couple
of days only, to ease the process.

·
Registered
7,558 Posts
just curious how many days she was on antibiotics after her spay a month ago...
she could have a touch of antibiotic induced colitis. maybe give her half a teaspoon
of unflavored plain yogurt (one with active cultures) twice a day. hope she feels
better soon :)
(I'm not a Vet, or Vet tech; this is just a remedy that has helped my dogs and
many of my friends...)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LS, I was hoping someone would say that. I want to get her away from grains as soon as possible.

Jerry'smom, she was on antibiotics for about a week after her spay appointment. I was wondering about that but the vet seems to think that had nothing to do with it. Now she's on amoxicillin for 6 days. If she has loose stool after this I am going to try the yogurt because it will have to be because of the meds.

Thank you both for your advice it really helps a lot!!!!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
You can try adding a spoon of canned pumpkin to each meal as well,
for a couple of days in order to harden her stools. Keep us updated,
I know it can be very frustrating and stressful when our babies are
under the weather. Hugs.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Sound very much like what Axle had a month or so ago. Turned out to be rawhide that he had swallowed and it irritated his tummy. He was on antibiotics for 3 days and bland food for 5 and he bounced right back so I'm sure Maia will be the same :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope she bounces back very soon!!! I was up all last night with her because she couldn't get comfortable to sleep and then when she finally did get comfy, she had to get up and go to the bathroom..... I hope she sleeps better tonight. The vet also told me no more rawhide chewy's, so I got rid of all of those as soon as we got home.

Thank you all again for your advice. I am writing all of these remedies down so that I can try them next time, even though I hope there is never a next time with her.......

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Canned pumpkin is good to have on hand, it lasts a while, and anytime your pup
has a bit of a loose stool just add a spoon. Most dogs love the taste too. I
always have it in the cupboard because when I take in rescues I usually have no
knowledge of what food they were given, so to avoid diarrhea I add some
pumpkin to their new food. It works like magic. Good call on dumping the
rawhide, seems it causes issues in a few dogs. You can always try bully sticks,
they seem to be digested easier. Hope you both sleep better tonight.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LS, I've decided to only give her nylabones for a while. She seems to like them a lot. I'm definitely going to grab some canned pumpkin while I'm at the store tomorrow. So far she's doing better, but that's only because she has no food in her stomach. She's following everyone around the house waiting for a crumb to fall on the floor..... she's so hungry. I feel so bad..... She keeps looking at me like I'm being mean to her for not feeding her. I so can't wait until morning when I can start her bland diet....

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Oh don't you worry so much, dogs can easily go a day without eating.
It'll give her system a much needed break. You are doing the right thing.
I know it's tough though, my Rocky & Benji are on a very strict diet, and
it's so tempting to give into their sad puppy eyes, but I know I can't for
their own good. Just give your little one extra cuddles tonight. :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi sure hope her little belly is back to normal soon do you buy the pupkin in a can ive never tried it but ill get some too

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
just curious how many days she was on antibiotics after her spay a month ago...
she could have a touch of antibiotic induced colitis. maybe give her half a teaspoon
of unflavored plain yogurt (one with active cultures) twice a day. hope she feels
better soon :)
(I'm not a Vet, or Vet tech; this is just a remedy that has helped my dogs and
many of my friends...)
I was going to suggest the same thing...plain yogurt ALWAYS when they are on antibiotics.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts