Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all, im not sure if this is anything or not, but recently my 8 month chi maisy is scared of going into the kitchen, she will sit on the mat just inside the door, but thats as far as she will venture, iven if shes thirsty, she will just give out a little whine, and i have to move her water to the door, and her food, she never used to be like this, she would always run in after me and get me to tickle her tummy with my foot. if i pick her up and take her into the kitchen she acts all on edge. i thought it could be the floor as its laminate, and i think she finds it slippy, but we have had the floor for ages now and it never used to bother her, also we have smooth wood flooring the the lounge and that doesnt seem to bother her. the other idea i had, is that when we go out with out her, i shut her in the kitchen as its the safest place for her. but ill only leave her 3 times a week tops, and thats only for about 4-5 hours.

so firstly any other ideas?
and also any cures?

Its getting me down, as im thinking theres something wrond and shes unhappy!!

kind regards Tammy xx

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
My mom's chi ran over some boiling water in the kitchen once that had spilled, he never goes in there anymore and does the same bit -- stays right outside and whines. So, I wonder if something similar happened to your baby, maybe just something very negative associated w/ the room or floor so he won't go in..?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
First of all, your baby is SO cute!!!! :) Roxy started doing something similar. When I'm at home (I'm at my apartment at college right now), we let the dogs out through our basement door into the backyard. So, once they come in, they have to go back up the steps to get upstairs. Roxy was fine going up and down the stairs. Never once did she care. Then, one day, she wouldnt go up or down them! She would sit right at the top or the bottom and whine. She'd wait for me to pick her up to take her up or down. I realized it was because my mom's boots were sitting on the step!! She was just scared for some reason. Once I moved them, she was fine again. Maybe if you moved some things around and she noticed... she doesn't like it. Just a possibility! :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats a good idea, but theres nothing that has changed. the only reason it bothers me is the the back door is through the kitchen, so when sumer time comes round and the back door is open most of the time, i cant see her crossing the kitchen floor by herself to go for a wee. other than that it doesnt bother me...Roxy is also very cute!! xx

·
Registered
150 Posts
Does she have reign of the house when your not home? she may have slipped badly when you were out and now just doesn't wanna do it again.
I would either get throw rugs with small gaps to her food and gradually reduce the size of the rugs as time goes, or just treat/coax her into the kitchen if she has a food drive :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no, i dont trust her with her toilet habbits, for her to have the run of the house, so i have to put her somewhere where its easy to clean, even though she is good most of the time. she might have slipped, or done something that im not aware of. shes not that food orientated, it takes me ages to get her just to eat her dinner!! i have tried to coax her into the kitchen, but even when we are eating, it doesnt happen, she does try, shel put 1 foot out, and shel stamp her feet, but i cant get her to go to the next stage. xx

·
Registered
150 Posts
lol even bits of hotdogs? salem isnt either but he goes nuts for hot dogs and cheese puffs lol although mister is on a diet now lol

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
My Mia does weird stuff like this too but eventually it passes. She absolutely wouldn't come in the kitchen the one day when we moved the island and table to install a ceiling fan! She's just my little weirdo. It's amazing what little thing can bother some of them. The other two don't have these problems.
My husband insists that he cannot get her to come in from the back porch in the mornings. He says she goes and sits down by the other door (two doors open onto back porch) and won't move and that he has to go out there and scoot her toward the other door and then'll she'll go. He recently had should surgery and didn't go to work for two weeks so I was the one to let her in and out. Yes, she'd sit by the other door. I'd turned the light off and walk away. In she'd come right through the doggy door! I don't know why she plays my husband on this but she does!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
My mom's chi ran over some boiling water in the kitchen once that had spilled, he never goes in there anymore and does the same bit -- stays right outside and whines. So, I wonder if something similar happened to your baby, maybe just something very negative associated w/ the room or floor so he won't go in..?
Something like this was the first thing I thought of.

Does she have reign of the house when your not home? she may have slipped badly when you were out and now just doesn't wanna do it again.
I would either get throw rugs with small gaps to her food and gradually reduce the size of the rugs as time goes, or just treat/coax her into the kitchen if she has a food drive :)
And then this. Some sort of unpleasant association.

My Ernie boy won't go out to the porch right now because he knows the next step is outside to do his business. It's very cold where we live and he hates this weather. BUT, if I say, "wanna go bye-bye?" he bolts through the door. These little dogs are too smart. Sometimes I wonder who has who trained. :)

·
Registered
609 Posts
One time, I was cooking in the kitchen and put the fan on over the stove.... well I dropped a very large pan and it made a loud crashing noise. I turned around to see Paco shaking over a small puddle (of urine), lol. Now, whenever I turn the fan on, he wines and promptly leaves the kitchen, lol.

That was over a year ago... some memories are very strong for them.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
My chi goes thru spells like this too. Lately she'll come into the kitchen & wait for me to fix her food while sitting on the carpet infront of the sink. She hesitates and won't come off the carpet to eat her food. I have hardwood floors that she slips & slides on and my twin 5 year olds are accidentally kicking her across the floor. She always gets over as she has no choice because most of my house is hardwood and tile.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts