Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya all, i have a bit of a problem, my 6 month old chi doesnt seem to be bothered by food. ill put her breakfast out about 8am, but she wont eat it, so i have to throw her 1 biscuit, some times she will eat it, and then realise that she is actually hungry, other times she will just pick it up and hide it somewhere. i have now just started to leave her food down, thinking that she might be hungry later, but the hours tick by, lunch time passes, and nothing, so i leave it down till dinner, again i coax her, she may eat 4/5 biscuits and then she walks off. other times shes just not interested. i have tried staying in the room untill she eats incase shes lonely, i have tried bringing her food in the lounge so shes with me. I know shes hungry cause she sits and begs for food when we eat. i dont give her anything though. i havnt changed her food and i do put a bit od water with them.
i try to be hard and say to her youl eat it if your hungry enough. but then i worry. i have even poored a bit of gravy over them, but shes not interested. and have also cut up tiny tiny pieces of meat to mix in.
I just dont know what else to do. she seems happy, and shes going to the toilet. PLEASE HELP xxxxxxxx:(

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Is she underweight? A 6 month old puppy should be offered food 3 times a day. A healthy dog will not refuse food over a long period of time. If she's lean, but active and playful and growing - I'd tend not to worry. If she's lean but depressed or acting or looking sickly, I'd have a vet look at her to make sure there's nothing else going on.

I do know that frequently adding things to her food and changing it up (adding meat, toppers, gravy, etc.) creates a very picky eater. I've been there and done that. Once you know she's healthy, just pick a food you want her to eat - offer it and then put it up after 20 minutes. No food, no treats, nothing at all until the next time she is scheduled to eat. Then repeat. I'm not a fan of free feeding, although some do it with success.

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
I probably wouldn't walk a puppy for 2.5 hours their joints are soft and not developed properly and that sort of walk could damage her as a guide they are meant o have 5 mins for every month old they are!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
+1 for what Brodysmom said. Maisy sounds like a playful, happy puppy so I wouldn't be too concerned. I would cut out the biscuits though. No treats if she's not eating her food.

I'm not so sure about the 5 min for every month old they are rule for walks. When they are very little I wouldn't do an enforced walk for an hour but a 2.5 hour stroll for a 6 month old doesn't sound like too much for me. I would judge by the dog. If she's having a blast and isn't distressed then and I was taking my time walking along, I wouldn't worry. If she starts to act like she's not enjoying the walk or getting tired I'd cut it short.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
What kind of food are you feeding her? Some foods just don't appeal to the dogs. I like Orijen or Acana, Honest Kitchen has great foods too, with Honest Kitchen you add meat to their food so that might appeal more to her. I agree with what Tracy said leave the food down for 20 minutes if she doesn't eat, that's it, then offer for the next meal, and I would cut out treats, Zoey went through picky phases but would still eat people food or treats, so I quit giving her everything but dog food, then she'd eat the dog food. Also adding some canned/tinned food helps sometimes. I had to do that with Sebastian, he wouldn't eat just plain dry food.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Bailey is exactly the same but he has treats which really we should cut out, sometimes he will eat his food just before bed at night, maybe not all of it. I know we have to cut out treats but he just looks so pitiful when he looks at us with those big eyes but that is our problem. Bailey will eat anything but his own food. So if your chi does the same you know there is nothing wrong with her, just being picky and you need to be harder like I need to be. :)

Joy xx

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Something the OP said jumped out at me.

I know shes hungry cause she sits and begs for food when we eat.
No, that doesn't mean she's hungry. It just means she wants what YOU eat, because it tastes good.

Provided she's healthy (and it sounds like she is) she will NOT starve while you work to get her on a good feeding regimen. When I first rescued Tango, he just would NOT eat, period, unless I sat with him and fed him food by hand, bite by bite. It looked like that's what he was used to....his previous owner kept him caged pretty much fulltime because she had 4 large dogs and was afraid he would get eaten. So she fed him bits of food by hand through the cage bars.

There was NO way I was going to continue doing that. So once I got him vetted and back to health, I changed things up. I just put his food down and if he didn't eat it after 15 minutes I picked it back up again. Was it hard? Yes! But I knew I was doing the best thing for him. He went on a hunger strike for about 24 hours, eating nothing but the few pieces of kibble I offered him by hand, close to his bowl, to give him the idea that that's where his food was. I did feed him Nutracal in between times, so he wasn't without nutrients. And he did drink. Other than that, I just left the food down for 15 minutes then picked it back up again (he was eating 3X a day at that point.) After about 24 hours, when I put the bowl down, he DIVED in and ate everything. To this day both my dogs eat ALL their food at each meal (they're fed twice a day now)

Too often, owners end up getting trained by their dogs rather than the reverse when it comes to food. They're so little and we get so concerned that they're going to get sick if they don't eat. Yes they are little, but they're much more hardy then we give them credit for. AND they know how to play us really, really well!

Harden your heart and offer food 3X a day, and pick it back up again if it's not eaten, and after a day or two of this your dog will be attacking the food with a vengeance. Don't feed people food, don't feed treats in between times, don't flavor the food with anything. If he doesn't eat after that, it's time for a vet visit because something is almost certainly wrong. A healthy dog won't starve themselves, it goes against every instinct they're born with.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I too noticed the begging comment.

I was told a long time ago that a dog doesn't have the train of thought to hurt themselves e.g. starve themselves for attention. Now whether or not I believe it isn't the case, but if she is hungry she'll eat. I don't free feed as I have a couple hogs in my house, but many freefeed with success, perhaps try that with a dry kibble?

I do second what Tracy said about giving treats etc is just setting her up to be a picky eater, if she's healthy and active, just find a quality food and stick with it, she'll eat if given a firm touch. If she's acting down or lethargic etc. then perhaps speak with the vet.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hiya guys, thankyou for all your comments, i have read them all carefully. and have taken everything on board. today, i fed her her biscuits in the morning, which she did eat, then for lunch, after a bit of coaxing she ate half her lunch. but hasnt eaten her dinner. so i have picked it up and saved it for the morning. Shes still full of life, so im not worrying. i have given my partner the riot act where treats are concerned, as he is a bugger for giving her tit bits when hes eating. i feel like i have to watch him like a halk when food is about, as hes a soft touch. i will keep working at it....Persistance will pay off...(i hope, lol) xxxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Hiya guys, thankyou for all your comments, i have read them all carefully. and have taken everything on board. today, i fed her her biscuits in the morning, which she did eat, then for lunch, after a bit of coaxing she ate half her lunch. but hasnt eaten her dinner. so i have picked it up and saved it for the morning. Shes still full of life, so im not worrying. i have given my partner the riot act where treats are concerned, as he is a bugger for giving her tit bits when hes eating. i feel like i have to watch him like a halk when food is about, as hes a soft touch. i will keep working at it....Persistance will pay off...(i hope, lol) xxxxxxxx
Bubbles, I know there is a bit of translation here, but when you say biscuits in the morning, what does that mean exactly?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Yeah, I wondered about the biscuit comment too.

One other thing. It may be that your dog is ready to transition from three meals a day to two. I fed Tango 3x a day till he was about a year old. Jazz on the other hand was ready to transition to 2x a day by the time she was about 6 months old. How did I know? She didn't eat all of her noon meal, and sometimes not all her evening one either. So I gave her a little more kibble in the morning and the evening, and skipped the noon one all together. She went back to eating ALL her food.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My pup, Maya, is extremely picky, and what seems to be a success one week, she may turn her nose up at it the next week. I feed her the same type kibble every week, but supplement with various meats and a homemade blend dogfood, just to make her food more appealing. I also have to take the kibble, from time to time, and just throw a small pile around the house. She loves searching for it, and then eats it when she finds it.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
These pups can be very stubborn when it comes to eating. When ivy was little I had to toss her food on the ground like a toy so she would eat lol. We had to make a game out of it otherwise she wouldn't eat. I worry about hypoglycemia if she isn't eating much so make sure she gets some nutrical for a supplement. She may just not like the food you are giving her. Hey....I had to try 3 different foods before I found the one Ivy loved. But don't give any treats/snacks or table food or you will create a monster lol.

Lori

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hiya all, by saying biscuits, I mean her food, she has bakers biscuits for puppies, which I put a bit of water on to soften for her. She did eat her breakfast this morning, only ate a 1/4 of her lunch, so I picked it up for her dinner, where after turning her nose up she did eat it. I havnt given her any treats today, she seems a bit confused. I will have to see what tomorrow brings. Something else tho, when I got her out of her box this morning her Back end was covered in smelly ploy gunk, and her poos have been a bit runny today, I've had to give her 2 baths today, I dont think it's related though. Xxxxxxx

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was going to say maybe she is ready for just 2 meals a day. I have stopped Chis lunch time one as i thought he looked to be getting a little chunky.
Ive never had a problem with him eating hes such a pig maybe thats because ive never pandered to him i dont know.
He is fed raw so maybe he loves it so much he just cannot refuse lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hiya all, i have a bit of a problem, my 6 month old chi doesnt seem to be bothered by food. ill put her breakfast out about 8am, but she wont eat it, so i have to throw her 1 biscuit, some times she will eat it, and then realise that she is actually hungry, other times she will just pick it up and hide it somewhere. i have now just started to leave her food down, thinking that she might be hungry later, but the hours tick by, lunch time passes, and nothing, so i leave it down till dinner, again i coax her, she may eat 4/5 biscuits and then she walks off. other times shes just not interested. i have tried staying in the room untill she eats incase shes lonely, i have tried bringing her food in the lounge so shes with me. I know shes hungry cause she sits and begs for food when we eat. i dont give her anything though. i havnt changed her food and i do put a bit od water with them.
i try to be hard and say to her youl eat it if your hungry enough. but then i worry. i have even poored a bit of gravy over them, but shes not interested. and have also cut up tiny tiny pieces of meat to mix in.
I just dont know what else to do. she seems happy, and shes going to the toilet. PLEASE HELP xxxxxxxx:(
hi i had the same problem with my mine in the end i had her on fresh chicken and ham anything she would eat to get her started its now 6 months later and she is board with it she now eat royal cannin no problem if you use cans of dog meat add small piece's of carrot and a few pea's it will make a change in the smell and tast to them so try it and see what happens my little one is just try it you might have a picky one like me lol

·
Registered
809 Posts
I notice that you have commented that it has been a "struggle" for the past day or two but she is eating some. In my opinion you are still trying too hard. Put the food in a bowl, put the bowl down, leave it for 15 minutes, pick it up if she hasn't eaten. Don't try to coax her to eat. Don't sit down with her to try to convince her to eat. These actions could lead to bad habits just like adding stuff to her food could (see Tink's post). You don't want a pup that only eats if you are sitting on the floor with her or coaxing her to eat each bite.

If she's not eating at all you can give her some Nutrical during the day to keep her blood sugar up but no treats or people food! Going on a 24-36 hour hunger strike won't hurt her but she will learn to eat when the food is presented.

My dogs all eat two times a day and are thrilled to see their kibble, eat it immediately, and don't question why it doesn't have turkey or meat or gravy on it. Some nights I do add a little extra but that's rare. Once your girl is eating well and consistently you can start adding in some extras but always add them to the bowl, never feed her from your hand while eating your dinner, and make it a special occasion, not every day.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think they can all be finiky at times.
Mine has his times of it as well.
Sometimes he will eat hard food/sometimes not.
but boy would he gobble down table scraps if allowed. LOL...
What I do... Put his food in some warm drinking water, let
it sit til moist and give it to him. That way it helps ensure
he gets enough water since he's no big water drinker.
Many times I have had to fed him by hand just to get him
to eat his food. I think he's a little spoiled but I hate seeing
him go w/o a meal, thou he could prob. lose a few lbs. LOL...
Hope this helps some, and hope your baby gets herself to
eating well on her own.
God bless.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts