Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newest chi Ziggy (6mo) came home Thursday night. Since the moment he arrived he has been barking, growling and running hiding (while doing the aforementioned) from my 16 year old son...who is GREAT with dogs! All the other 3 chi's immediately made up to him as have all our previous dogs and my parents dogs, and really most dogs he meets!! Whats up??? What can we do? I have been having him hold him (Z not happy but puts up with it) and telling him no when behaving badly to my son. I am thinking of having him sleep in his day carrier on my son's bed to see if that might bond them. Other than that, I am at a loss. HELP:(

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
It is possible that a teenager mistreated him before he came to you? Something definitely seems up with this. Have your son give him treats and love on him. I would only allow your son to give treats for right now. Let him work with him on coming to him for treats after he gets used to him a bit. It may take some time for him to get secure with teenagers. Have you had him out an socializing him with other things? How is his reaction with strangers? Men in general? other children?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i think the treats should help alot and him sleeping with your son should start a bond it seems good luck

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is possible that a teenager mistreated him before he came to you? Something definitely seems up with this. Have your son give him treats and love on him. I would only allow your son to give treats for right now. Let him work with him on coming to him for treats after he gets used to him a bit. It may take some time for him to get secure with teenagers. Have you had him out an socializing him with other things? How is his reaction with strangers? Men in general? other children?
good question, I am going to check with the breeder to see if any teenagers were around or could have had access to him. This is just so strange. I take him to work with me along with the rest, and he has met everyone this week and done well. Not as good as my free spirit Alvin, who actually runs up to greet people. But he doesn't cower or growl. And, he's great on our walks at the park. I am really big into socializing them. My feeling is that they deserve all the respect that large breeds get in the social/outgoing areas.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts