Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive asked a few times on here about training but it seems to have gotten so much worse :(

We have plently of pads out, we spray them with training spray, praise her if she pees on them and punish her and send her to her bed when she doesnt. But she still does not undertsnad at all :( It has gotten so much worse as she has started peeing on the couch when Im sitting on it and she sometimes pees on my feet when Im standing or right in front of people. She understands its bad because she runs straight to her bed...but still she doesnt stop. Crate training isnt really an option as its not really a problem when we are gone, but when we are home and I cant keep her in a crate all day....

we put her on the pads every few hours to get her to go but she never does, she just waits till we arnt looking and pees on the couch or on the floor.

Any ideas? She seriously does something like this everysingle day. Also could this have anything to do with heat? She is just coming out of her first cycle and it wasnt this bad before at all.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Yes being in heat can make things worse, as they are hormonal and 'marking' to attract males. I would use the tether method which means a leash attached to her and then to you when you are home. Watch for cues, whining, circling, sniffing, and take her to a potty pad, lots of praise/treats when she goes potty. Punishment doesn't really help with housetraining. If you do catch her in the act pick her up and say "Uh uh uh" then take her to a potty pad. I had to use a potty pad in an apple box when Zoey was younger and I'd leave her in there till she went potty. Dogs respond A LOT better to positive reinforcement rather than punishment.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, I will try the tether, thats a good idea, then she cant sneak away! I still worry about my poor couch though because she loves to pee on it while I sit there :( She gets fixed in a few weeks, hopefully that will help.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
She sounds like she is confused as to where you want her to potty. Instead of putting her in her crate/bed when she has an accident - take her to the potty pad. You can't "punish" her - you need to be correcting her & showing her where you want the behavior to happen. ("punishing" only makes the behavior worse as you're noticing) The key is catching her WHILE she is peeing. If you don't - you're going to continue to have problems. The more you catch her when it happens (tether her to you or keep her confined to where you can see her at all times, in order to accomplish this) & show her where you want her to go potty - the more clear it will become for her.

It's going to take a lot of work from YOU rather than just expecting her to one day "get it". Like most everything...we get out of something what we put into it. A couple weeks of vigilantly watching her & correcting her & I bet you'll see a huge improvement. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
It really sounds like she is trying to tell you she has to pee which is why she's peeing by you - she is just confused the poor thing. She is trying! :) Once you get the right kind correction going I bet you'll have great success!

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Do you Not take her outside to pee? If there was any confusion with where my chi was supposed to pee (I can't believe I'm going to tell you this) I would tinkle in the grass (when no one was watching of course) & it seemed to always work.
I strongly agree with the other posts that she sounds like she's trying to tell you but you're not picking up on the signs. When you see her pee on her pad, do you give her lots of praise?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
If there was any confusion with where my chi was supposed to pee (I can't believe I'm going to tell you this) I would tinkle in the grass (when no one was watching of course) & it seemed to always work.
Bahahahaha!! I've never heard that one before. :D I'd be more inclined (if I was going to go that route) to pee in a cup & pretend to pee as I dumped it out. That way the scent is there so they think I peed. But (thankfully) I've never had to go that far. :lol:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Bahahahaha!! I've never heard that one before. :D I'd be more inclined (if I was going to go that route) to pee in a cup & pretend to pee as I dumped it out. That way the scent is there so they think I peed. But (thankfully) I've never had to go that far. :lol:
I'm glad I got a laugh out of someone!! I live out in the country & when you have to go--you go! Haha

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Honestly i think it's you not her. She 9 months and shouldn't have these problems still. She should have good bladder control my 10 month old prob gies every 3 hours maybe longer. I would think about changing your training method confine her where her pads are and go back to physically putting her there. Don't send her to bed it makes er bed a negative place and she will start to hate it.

I only yell if I see my 4 month old going and then put her outside to finish We've only had a few mistakes but I'm on her like a rash. I think another month ad shell be perfect like daisy.

I would start from scratch tho. Crate training is fab and doesn't involve being crated the whole time just after meals for short periods when you're out I physically carry her outside and after she has had a nap I carry her out she has recently started taking herself outside

Hopefully after her hormones calm down shell be better

Good luck

·
Registered
912 Posts
These are great ideas you've been given! :) Just call it a wrap and start with a good fresh feeling and a great new plan. The tethering idea is perfect IMO. That way you're sure to catch her in the act. Then, like others have said, bring her to where ever you want to her potty and tell her to potty. If she doesn't go do something else for maybe 5 or so minutes, and back to the potty pad, "Time to go potty!" :)

And in all honesty, I too, have "pottied" where I want my pups to "potty", only outside. :D lol. It works...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sounds like she's marking over your scent. If so, you should see a big improvement after the spay, when the hormones recede.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My Chi, Chico is almost potty trained. He is 3 1/2 months old. Between me and my hubby, we notice that when he has to poo, he tries to go into dining room. His favorite spot is by the window. It's usually about 4 hours after he's had breakfast or supper. Then one of us takes him outside to potty. Sometimes we miss the cue and he goes into dining room to poo. He likes to eat his poo, so we try to catch him before he goes. He does both outside and we give him treats when he does. He usually uses the pad to pee quite often during the day. He comes looking for his treat after he uses pad. He does pee outside if we take him out. He is crate trained. It's like trainging a baby to go potty. Just trial and error to find what works best.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I a going thrpugh training my new pup,

My rules are,

Never shout or smack my pup,
Only if caught in the act I say no and put him outside in the garden 2 seconds after is no good.

Don't have loads of pads as pup will learn to use only them so training to go outside takes a heck longer. Why can't your dog go in the crate when you are at home?

My routine is 7am get up even when eyes can't open and I can't think...sleep walking comes to mind, if there is a mess I simply put Red outside and clean up. (last two days there has been no mess..yippee)
Then while both dogs in garden I go and make their breakfast.
Jake is fed indoors and Red outdoors, this is because Red will go and poop during his breakfast or immediately afterwards.

Then approx every hour I put the lads in the garden, Jake only goes out so he doesn't think he is missing out on anything.
If I need to go out Red goes in the crate

If I need to go upstairs, into the kitchen or use the toilet Red goes either in the garden or the crate.
I have a panel from my other crate that goes from the wall to my sofa to stop Red going to pee and poop behind the sofa.

The reason he does this is because though he knows its wrong he can do it in secret, so to make sure I can see him at all times the panel went up.

Time, patience and consistancy works and if I was you rather than put your dog in the crate I would put your dog outsiode so that your dogs learns outside is the place to go to potty.

Good luck on whatever routine you decide to do.

Deme x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts