Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might not seem like much of a victory but to me, it is enormous! As some of you know, Lily has had 3 dental surgeries in 3 years and I say, enough is enough. I'm determined that her most recent surgery will be her last one. To that end I am brushing her teeth every day (as opposed to paying her daycare to do it once a week), using doggy mouthwash (that one still cracks me up :lol: ) and getting her switched from a good canned food to a good dry food.

She's already been eating Eukanuba puppy pellets for breakfast at daycare (where she will eat dry food in the presence of other dogs) but for dinner I've had her on Prescription Diet Canine I/D because of her sensitive digestive system. The canned stuff is great for her digestion and she loves it, but obviously it does nothing for her teeth.

It's clear she has a genetic predisposition to tooth decay, compounded by the neglect she suffered at the puppy mill, but at some point I am responsible for the condition of her teeth. So here's the major victory: I got her to eat Royal Canin Mini Breed DRY FOOD!!!! :blob7:

I bought a bag today and offered her some. She sniffed it thoroughly but nope, not interested in trying it. Now, Lily would eat sawdust if it was soaked in cream, so I soaked a handful of pellets in cream for a few hours (they absorbed all the excess liquid so she couldn't just lick the cream and leave the pellets). She ate a pretty good portion of the soaked pellets, then she allowed me to hand feed her several unsoaked pellets right out of the bag! Tomorrow I'll soak another portion and gradually decrease the amount of cream until she is eating only the dry food.

Since she's had that last decayed tooth removed, she's even stopped fighting me when I brush her teeth. She doesn't like it but she seems resigned to it and I'll gladly settle for that.

I feel so good about this. :flower:

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
way to go lily girl!!!!! i'm so excited for her! (i love lily she's a fave of mine!!) there's that royal canin again woohooo! i gotta tell dr. dan about this i've never seen so many people in one forum that wasn't a food related forum rave about one particular brand.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ozzysmom said:
awww that is so great :D I feed mine wet food twice a day and leave dry for them to nibble on is this ok for their teeth?
I'm no expert (though I seem to be turning into one :lol: ) but if your dogs aren't experiencing any dental problems, I'd say some wet and some dry is probably okay.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
xx-nathalie-xx said:
it's obvious you take excellent care of lily :lol:

kisses nat
Thanks, you couldn't possibly pay me a higher compliment. My heart has always been in the right place but this forum has made me a better mom. I've become much more aware of chi-specific issues but basically, I don't want to look bad in front of you guys. :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts