Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I have tried every sample of raw food out there.... My chi will NOT NOT NOT touch it :( She has terrible teeth and I really want her on raw food!

So can I make my own?

I was thinking of buying some raw chicken breasts and slicing them real small, putting them in little containers and freezing them. Or should I do beef instead? Like raw stew meat and then cut it smaller? I happen to know she like raw stew meat :)

I am nervous of feeding the raw chicken breast in case she get salmonella. could that happen???

Should I add veggies to the diet? Cooked or raw? Mabe steamed carrots??

Ok sorry so many questions!!!!! Thanks :):):)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Ok, slow down. You can really harm your dog if you are not feeding a raw diet correctly. You can't just give them a cut up chicken breast or some steak and call it good. That is NOT balanced. Without calcium and phosphorus in the right ratios, she could get VERY ILL.

Veggies are not needed or required. If you choose to use them, they should be steamed and completely broken down into a slurry. Otherwise they wont' digest. If you fed a raw carrot, it would pass in the stool looking just like it did when it went in her mouth.

Raw stew meat would be fine. ONLY if you fed it along with edible bone and some organs as well. A raw diet is balanced IF it is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs. You MUST feed the bones. You MUST feed the organs. You MUST feed mostly meat in those percentages.

You will start with bone-IN chicken to begin with. Then slowly add other proteins over weeks or even months. Eventually you will be feeding an 80/10/5/5 balance of raw foods.

When you say you have tried every sample of raw food out there, are you talking about premade raws? Like Nature's Variety, Bravo, Primal, or Stella and Chewy's? Did you use the frozen or the dehydrated?

Here's a link to get you started. It's a long thread, but the first post has the information you need and please read through the links also. Please don't just dice up some chicken or stew meat and feed.

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/showthread.php?t=49576

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for that tip! Wow I am clueless I thought it could be as easy as just getting some raw chicken and cutting it up! I will NOT do that lol!!! It was just a thought lol!

Yes I have tried many pre-made raws, I got yet another new sample yesterday one I havent tried yet its called, Natures Premium. She seems to hate it. I even put a litle piece in her mouth so she would see how good it tastes and she spit it in her bowl and I know shes hungry shes been scratching her bowl for her EVO......

I tried a bunch that were frozen and shaped like hamburger patties, then the ones I hoped would be perfect, they were the size of little icecubes and came in a white bag. She hated them to. Those were chicken.

I have tried the dehydrated, it was in a black bag call Maxum or Maxim. She acctually didnt mind that! But she did have a hard time chewing the meat ingredients, they seemed really chewy....

Do you think the dehydrated is as good as the frozen raw? I can go buy that again and pick out the chewy fatty chunks and get her to eat that :)

Or do you know of any other deydrated brands I could get online, Maxum is the only kind I have found here.

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!! I would looooove to get my girl on better food!

I am going to go to the store and get a couple little frozen raw chicken wings see if she will eat those today!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
What Tracy said.

It's cheaper and easier to do what we do also of she is asking for her kibble throw it out she can smell it and if you give in she won't change

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I better put the kibble in the garage then, I have 2 other BIG dogs and they eat dry food. CC is the only one who is being switched to raw.

I am thinking of doing dehydrated raw instead, since i know she liked the brand Maxum. I am searching around for dehydrated found this stuff

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/

Yes No???

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I've never fed the Honest Kitchen but have heard good things about it. We do raw but not premade/prepackaged. We get meats from the butcher, grocer & from the hare-today website (basically a butcher for pets). To start you can get a chicken breast to feed her (cutting up not necessary...that is what would clean her teeth!). We started my Chi's on soley chicken necks for the first 2 weeks to get them used to raw. They loved it! Even my grandfathers extreamely picky Pom loved the chicken necks.

I've been feeding raw for a few months & Maribelle is giving me a hard time with being picky & up until now I've allowed it. She'd be happy eating ONLY bone in chicken but I know that is not ok so I'm in the processs of a little battle with her. She will not get any meats until she eats her organ because I know she needs it. She had a few licks this morning...but that's it. I'll offer it to her again tonight & if she doesn't touch or finish it...back in the fridge for tomorrow. Sounds mean but you have to be stern with them especially when WE are the onees that know what is best for them.

If you want to do dehydrated thats great. But I would strongly suggest NOT to continue to get a different food until you find one she likes (which could take forever!). Also...she may like it for a few days or weeks but then get bored with it & stop eating again. Someday she'll have to learn to eat what is put on her plate & you are the one that will have to teach her. I'm a pretty strict Chi mommy but going through what I am with Maribelle I know what you're going though & I know just how manipulative these little turds can be!

Anyway, good luck. And if you decide to go with prey model raw Tracy's link that she posted is the BEST place to start. I still look at that thread from time to time if I need to find some info about a certain thing...or I just ask. :)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
Ziwi Peak is IMO the next best thing to real raw. I know others on this forum would agree. It's a dehydrated raw.
A real raw diet with bones is best, but you have to do your own research. Raw feeders on here can definitely help you, but you need to read articles and really understand why they need an 80/10/10 ratio, and what can happen if you don't follow the prey diet correctly. It's something that should not be taken lightly.
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your baby girl. :)

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
You can certainly start with chicken wings. They are very bony, but that's Ok since it will firm up her stool and most dogs really enjoy crunching through the bones. I cut the wings into 3 sections, the drumstick part, the middle part that has the two long bones, and the wing tip. One whole chicken wing is probably too big, depending on the size of your dog. Brody is 5 pounds and eats 2-3 ounces a day. That's not very much food. So be aware that overfeeding is really easy to do and you don't want to do that.

The Honest Kitchen is a great food as is ZiwiPeak. You'll have to decide what you want to do .... prey model raw that you portion out for her with a variety of meats, bones, and organs.... or a premade raw, either dehydrated or frozen, or a jerky kind of kibble - that is ZiwiPeak, or a dry mix - Honest Kitchen - that you mix with water and fresh ingredients.

Once you decide what you want to do, then do as Heather suggested and make up your mind that she will eat it and stick to your guns. Switching around all the time makes them very picky eaters. Brody is Mr. Picky so I know where you are coming from. Raw is great for him because it's not the same thing in a bowl every day. I mix up his meat varieties (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, rabbit, etc.) so that he gets something different all the time.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree raw feeding is not something to rush into. It's so important to do your research before starting with anything, and then to get a regime going and keep track of what you're feeding and how much etc.

I am currently feeding Ziwipeak, and so far I think it is a great dehydrated raw food. It smells so nice lol. Hopefully going to move on to raw feeding in future once I feel confident enough to put it into practice.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've never fed the Honest Kitchen but have heard good things about it. We do raw but not premade/prepackaged. We get meats from the butcher, grocer & from the hare-today website (basically a butcher for pets). To start you can get a chicken breast to feed her (cutting up not necessary...that is what would clean her teeth!). We started my Chi's on soley chicken necks for the first 2 weeks to get them used to raw. They loved it! Even my grandfathers extreamely picky Pom loved the chicken necks.

I've been feeding raw for a few months & Maribelle is giving me a hard time with being picky & up until now I've allowed it. She'd be happy eating ONLY bone in chicken but I know that is not ok so I'm in the processs of a little battle with her. She will not get any meats until she eats her organ because I know she needs it. She had a few licks this morning...but that's it. I'll offer it to her again tonight & if she doesn't touch or finish it...back in the fridge for tomorrow. Sounds mean but you have to be stern with them especially when WE are the onees that know what is best for them.

If you want to do dehydrated thats great. But I would strongly suggest NOT to continue to get a different food until you find one she likes (which could take forever!). Also...she may like it for a few days or weeks but then get bored with it & stop eating again. Someday she'll have to learn to eat what is put on her plate & you are the one that will have to teach her. I'm a pretty strict Chi mommy but going through what I am with Maribelle I know what you're going though & I know just how manipulative these little turds can be!

Anyway, good luck. And if you decide to go with prey model raw Tracy's link that she posted is the BEST place to start. I still look at that thread from time to time if I need to find some info about a certain thing...or I just ask. :)
Thank you so much for the advice! Its so nice to have some where to get all this knowledge from since the vets around here feed SD/hills and dont really tell me much about raw at all.

I think I will start with the Dehydrated raw and add some meat into it, that way I am not feeding her the wrong stuff, I am to knew and not knowledgable enough to make my own food for her. And I am not sure if I could even go near an organ ewwwwww I have a very weak stomach.

But giving her some raw chicken wings isnt grose, that should be easy. I was going to buy some today but didnt end up driving all the way to town, so tommorow I will get some :)

And yes I do give in to easy with her..... I feel bad after a day and then just switch her back to kibble. My bad, I have to get a sample of what I have decided to feed her 100% and then let her chose to eat it or go hungry. I will be strong hahahaha!

Ziwi Peak is IMO the next best thing to real raw. I know others on this forum would agree. It's a dehydrated raw.
A real raw diet with bones is best, but you have to do your own research. Raw feeders on here can definitely help you, but you need to read articles and really understand why they need an 80/10/10 ratio, and what can happen if you don't follow the prey diet correctly. It's something that should not be taken lightly.
Anyways, I wish you the best of luck with your baby girl. :)
I am going to look up Ziwi Peak :) I am not ready to take the chance on not making the right food ratio. I will leave that to the experts. thanks for the advice

You can certainly start with chicken wings. They are very bony, but that's Ok since it will firm up her stool and most dogs really enjoy crunching through the bones. I cut the wings into 3 sections, the drumstick part, the middle part that has the two long bones, and the wing tip. One whole chicken wing is probably too big, depending on the size of your dog. Brody is 5 pounds and eats 2-3 ounces a day. That's not very much food. So be aware that overfeeding is really easy to do and you don't want to do that.

The Honest Kitchen is a great food as is ZiwiPeak. You'll have to decide what you want to do .... prey model raw that you portion out for her with a variety of meats, bones, and organs.... or a premade raw, either dehydrated or frozen, or a jerky kind of kibble - that is ZiwiPeak, or a dry mix - Honest Kitchen - that you mix with water and fresh ingredients.

Once you decide what you want to do, then do as Heather suggested and make up your mind that she will eat it and stick to your guns. Switching around all the time makes them very picky eaters. Brody is Mr. Picky so I know where you are coming from. Raw is great for him because it's not the same thing in a bowl every day. I mix up his meat varieties (beef, pork, chicken, turkey, rabbit, etc.) so that he gets something different all the time.
Thank you for all your great advice! Your dogs teeth are gleaming white! I wish!!!!!!!

I have decided to do dehydrated raw. Thats easy and safe, I dont want to screw up the ratios I am not near knowledable enough :)

I agree raw feeding is not something to rush into. It's so important to do your research before starting with anything, and then to get a regime going and keep track of what you're feeding and how much etc.

I am currently feeding Ziwipeak, and so far I think it is a great dehydrated raw food. It smells so nice lol. Hopefully going to move on to raw feeding in future once I feel confident enough to put it into practice.
Thanks :) I am starting to learn it is NOT something to rush into, I thought it was as easy as cutting up a chicken breast.... wow was I wrong lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Thank you so much for the advice! Its so nice to have some where to get all this knowledge from since the vets around here feed SD/hills and dont really tell me much about raw at all.

Thanks :) I am starting to learn it is NOT something to rush into, I thought it was as easy as cutting up a chicken breast.... wow was I wrong lol
I am SO HAPPY that you are here listening and learning and asking questions! That's so great! We are all happy to help you. I wish that everyone would do as you have and really research the best diet for their particular dog and make an informed decision. Good for you! :hello1:

Which dehydrated raw are you going with?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brodysmom- Thanks :):) I looooove my little dog so much and want the best for her :) I know its almost to late for her teeth, as my vet says its normal and she will loose them all by the time she is 7 and my brushing her teeth is pointless. Nice huh??! If my vet would have told me when CC was a pup how raw food and bones would benifit her teeth...... arrrrg

I am on ziwipeak website right now, I am trying to decide between ziwipeak and the honest kitchen. I like the idea of the honest kitchen, that I can add just add some raw chicken breast in and all the reast of the nutrients and food are already in there. But I like ziwipeak to..... Oh the decisions lol.

I have to do somemore reading on each site and mabe get a sample from each food to and see what I like better. And then force the litte bugger to eat it, no MATTER what lol!

I am so happy that so many of you are so willing to be so helpfull! Its not easy especially when your vet cant help and thats the person you trust with your dogs health ya know......

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I just read like a million reviews on the Honest Kitchen...... Now I am not sure I want to feed it.

Heres a quote I took from someone about he HK-
"And oh, it's not raw. Labeling it as raw seems to be a gimmick. It's dehydrated with heat above 120 degrees, that's not raw at all. And how much above 120 degrees? They won't tell us. It's not fair to label a product raw when it's not raw"

Another quote about some of the stuff coming from china-

"The Honest Kitchen uses ingredients from China! Although I used to feed this, I have stopped and will not feed it again. One of these posters here opened an account to come on here to post a review after I posted mine about the use of ingredients from China. In my opinion, I think he works for the honest kitchen. He claimed that they were open about this, they were not until very very recently because someone brought it up on their facebook page, they did delete that person's comment on the facebook page but not before others read it and also inquired. They finally had to admit it because the cat was out of the bag. The tainted pet food problem a couple years ago caused the death of thousands of pets, and this was due to an ingredient from China. "

Omg...... This raw pet thing is so confusing.... Who is right? What is right? who knows!!! LOL

Mabe if I add some of my own raw foods to the HK it will be ok.... Who knows...

Anyone know any links to other "real" dehydrated raw foods??????

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
If you start digging, you are always going to find reviews that say a food is good, or a food is bad. Anyone can write those reviews. I think you have to look at the ingredients for yourself and talk to others who have used the products and then make up your mind.

For what it's worth, just about every vitamin we have is produced in China and then sent over here to be packaged. I just found this out recently. Calcium, fish oil, multivitamins, etc. It's from China. And that goes for vitamins that are put into dog food as well. I guess it's just not cost effective to produce vitamins in this country.

As for dehydrated raw, I like Stella and Chewy's. They test every batch for pathogens. Of course I think that prey model raw (the 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organs) is right for us because I know exactly what I am feeding him. It is meat from the grocery store, the same stuff I buy for my family.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats so true everyone will have something bad and good to say about all the dogs foods.....

I just went to Stella & Chewys website, There food sounds really good and its acttually raw!

I just emailed them to see if they know of any online companies that sell to Canada! Heres hoping!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Heres a quote I took from someone about he HK-
"And oh, it's not raw. Labeling it as raw seems to be a gimmick. It's dehydrated with heat above 120 degrees, that's not raw at all. And how much above 120 degrees? They won't tell us. It's not fair to label a product raw when it's not raw"
THK foods are human grade meaning it is safe for human consumption and that would only be possible with the meat being slightly cooked and pathogens killed. The vegetables in THK are considered raw though. I add raw meat to my dogs' food and truthfully I like that THK is human grade and safe enough for me to eat...and yes, I have tried THK dog food myself!

Another quote about some of the stuff coming from china-

"The Honest Kitchen uses ingredients from China! Although I used to feed this, I have stopped and will not feed it again. One of these posters here opened an account to come on here to post a review after I posted mine about the use of ingredients from China. In my opinion, I think he works for the honest kitchen. He claimed that they were open about this, they were not until very very recently because someone brought it up on their facebook page, they did delete that person's comment on the facebook page but not before others read it and also inquired. They finally had to admit it because the cat was out of the bag. The tainted pet food problem a couple years ago caused the death of thousands of pets, and this was due to an ingredient from China. "
The ingredients from China was a big topic of discussion on another forum and I posted about this concern there so I will copy and paste my comment on THK and it's ingredients from China.

Quote:
"Regarding the concerns over ingredients sourced from Asia, not all of the formulas contain ingredients from Asia!

First off let me address the concern over ingredients from China, the only ingredient that might possibly come from China is celery and even that is only obtained from US operated farms in China and as a last resort when supplies from the US and Europe have already been exhausted.

Besides celery, the only other ingredients from Asian countries are papayas, bananas, and coconut and none of those ingredients (including celery) are in The Honest Kitchen's Verve, Thrive and Prowl formulas for those that are concerned about ingredients from Asia. The formulas that might contain ingredients from Asia are Keen, Force, Embark, and Preference.

So rest assured that you can feed some of THK formulas without settling for ingredients from Asia if you feel strongly about that, you do have options if you want to stick with THK. I will admit though that I am not overly concerned about the ingredients from Asia since a lot of the foods that I eat myself come from a variety of Asian countries."

End quote.

I am not going to tell you what to feed, that is entirely up to you. Just addressing some of the concerns you had to help you with your decision making process. FWIW, I do think that Ziwipeak is the better of the two foods when comparing Ziwipeak and The Honest Kitchen. I cannot afford to feed Ziwipeak to my three dogs, especially my husky, and it is a lot easier to have all three dogs on the same food anyway so I feed THK and am over the moon happy with the results I've gotten with it.

Hope that helps somewhat ease your concerns.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Huskyluv- Thanks so much for all the advice! This decision may seem small to most people lol but for me and lots on her its big :) Its so hard to decide and all the reading I have done has just made it harder.

But after hearing your rave reveiws on THK and reading some more things I have decided to buy some and just go with it!

Now I am sure my picky pup WONT eat it, but I read some advice on how to get them to eat. And I WONT give in this time I know she wont starve herself and will eventually eat it, I just have to stay strong when she cries at me lol!!!!

:):)

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I know how important and hard it can be to find a great food that our pups do well on so I'm glad to help when others can use it. For the picky eaters in my family I never give in to them and they will eat whatever I give them eventually, it usually takes a week or two for them to finally give in and stop holding out and while it may be hard for us to watch it is so much better for us and them in the long run if you can get through it. I'm like you and very particular about what I feed my dogs and always thoroughly investigate any food before I decide to give it a go with my three.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know how important and hard it can be to find a great food that our pups do well on so I'm glad to help when others can use it. For the picky eaters in my family I never give in to them and they will eat whatever I give them eventually, it usually takes a week or two for them to finally give in and stop holding out and while it may be hard for us to watch it is so much better for us and them in the long run if you can get through it. I'm like you and very particular about what I feed my dogs and always thoroughly investigate any food before I decide to give it a go with my three.
I am glad to see I am not the only one who does so much research on dog food lol. Takes me forever to find the right one :)

Thanks again! I have emailed 4 places in Ontario to see if they still have or know about THK in Canada :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I have been told that I could NOT get THK in Canada forsure now, they are hoping this will change in the next couple months, they are trying to get through border regulations.

Sooooo I ordered the SMACK dehydrated dog food, in both chicken recipes! The place I ordered it from is only 3hrs away!!!!! Yay I am soooooo excited to get it now :)

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!!:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts