Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I have been away for quit some time but have been working long hours and have been real tired by the time I get home and get dinner done and all of the animals feed, but anyway my question is Oreo is 7 1/2 months old now and he is not nuetered nor will I nueter him since I got him to breed to my females, but he has just started to mark in the house at time. The rest of the times he will go potty outside. How can I get him to quite marking in the house....Also the girls are not in heat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Luckily, I've never had this problem, but from what I've read, male "marking" is very hard to correct. It's a behavior problem more than a housebreaking problem. First, you will need to find every spot that he's marked in your house. There are special black lights that you can buy at pet stores to help you find all the spots he's marked. Treat every area with an enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution. Dogs tend to mark the same areas over and over again.

Then, stop giving him run of the house. If you confine him to one area, it's easier to catch him as he's lifting his leg, and then you can correct him. You could also try belly bands. The dog likes to "see" the results of his marking, and the band makes that impossible. Most dogs also hate the feel of wetness against their bodies. Once the dog gets used to not marking, you can try to remove the band. If he starts again, put the band back on him, to remind him.

Here's a really good deal on Belly Bands on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4352155541&category=20743

Good Luck! :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks I'll try the bands to see if that does not help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.