Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IS there a difference? Ive never owned a chihuahua. I picked out a breeder and she has a litter of four and i get pick of the litter. Ive only ever had pugs so i need help to picjk out a male or female?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Hi and welcome - when do you get your new chi baby? I know I'm prejudiced, but to me chis are the best breed of all! LOL They are so cuddly and loveable and have such great personalities.

My last 3 chis have all been female. I just prefer females, but that is a personal preference. I really don't think there is any difference as far as intelligence and personality. More important than gender is the socialization and training. Best of luck with your new baby, and be sure to post some pics when you can.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They were born Easter Sunday and they can come home when they are 10wks. I get to go on mothers day weekend to pick out my chi! Im a first time chi owner so any advice is more than welcome, Please go in the chatoom if you want to talk further.

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I have one of each and find no difference regarding personality or behavior I had Ozzy neutered at 6 months so he has never hiked his leg and squats like a girl so their is no difference at all - I would advise just go and see which pup you bond with and then later turn them over :lol:

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
id agree...there doesnt seem to be a real difference in behaviours between the 2 sexes so long as the puppy has good socilazation it shoudl be fine.

personally id go look at the puppies, sit with the for a while and see which one you find yourself pulled to more...it may be the colour, it may jus tbe the one that seems more alert to your prescnece or wants your attention more...but one will basically chose you and then once youve picked your favorite out...thats when you take a look to see whether its a littl eboy or little girl your bringing home...

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
i picked a girl cause i wanted to dress her up in frilly stuff lol, but i am looking for a boy for the near future :) so it won't matter what you take home now cause you will be addicted and get another lol.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I only had girls until I met Frasier. I was looking for a girl when I got him. But I knew he was mine and he knew I was his as soon as we saw each other.

Some say boys are more kissy and loveable; others say there is no difference. Some say boys might mark in the house. I've been lucky there. Frasier does no humping and no marking.

The only differences I have seen are that I have to buy baby blues or lavendars instead of pinks clothing-wise because I don't want to cause Frasier to have an identity crisis. :? :D And, you can't rub a boy's tummy the same way you would a girl's. :shock:

Just go spend some time with a group of puppies and the one you're supposed to have will pick you. :D

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Welcome to the forum. :) I know that you have a lot of questions, and the best advice I can give you is to read through all the old posts on this forum. If you want info on a particular subject, then use the forum 'search' button. Congratulations on getting your first little Chi! :p

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I have always went for females but its just cause I like to doll them up. You can a boy also there is not much a difference besides the boys marking other then that all chihuahua all dogs have different personalities I think you just need to go to a breeder who will let you play and have time with a few different puppies both male and female and see which match the personality your looking for...GOODLUCK :wave:

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I have a boy, but It was his dad that I fell in love with and when he was born he looked just like his dad... now he doesn't<POUT> <POUT> but he has a lot of his dad in him.... he is alot of his mom too... a perfect blind....

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
i always wanted boys , because i heard they were sweeter than girls ( boy was i wrong ) now i have paris too .....and she's just as sweet !!

my boy is a real boy though.....that means ...he's hyperactive, barking at sounds etc etc :D

kisses nat

·
Registered
530 Posts
When I got Charlie I was looking for a boy because I'd heard that females can be less playful and we'd always had male dogs. Charlie is exactly what I was looking for but now I'm going to get him a little sister. :lol:
I'd definatly go and meet them and just pick one who's personality seems to fit you. Good Luck! New puppies are so exciting!!! :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Dogs like children are unpredictable at best..... As the mother of 3 (humans that is) I can attest that gender is no guidance for personality. My oldest son is a proud member of the A&M University band, he plays a flute and is enlisted in the service. My youngest is a girl and she is a rough tough softball player who will bruise and bloody herself on any play any day of the week.

Unlike our children we can spay and neuter our dogs :shock: after which you are simply left with a loving family member. I use to breed and show Bloodhounds, now that is where gender preferences come into play. Life is easier just having pets to love.

Oh and my middle child.. my #2 son... He thinks he is Japanese and wants to live in Japan after school. He is so proud of himself for coming up with names for our chihuahuas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts