Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will eventually have another Chi. I would like a boy. People have tried to scare me off males because they say they spray all over the house. I have had two other males (terrier and golden retriever) they never did. I was told if they are spayed early enough they will not "mark" their territory. But do any of you have experience owning both male and female Chi's. Do any of you who have males see this as a problem? Any difference in temperaments between your male and female?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the temperament goes with the individual dog. My male is more laid back than my female. My male isn't fixed and he did spray but only for a couple months. Strange, huh? It was like a phase he was going through and then he stopped completely. But I do know a lot of people have a problem with males spraying when they're not neutered. I'ts better to get them nuetered anyway, if you dont plan on breeding.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I agree that it varies on the individual dog, but you greatest bet to avoid marking is to get them neutered at about 6 months. Zeus was neutered at 6 months and I've never had a problem. My previous dog, Pongo, was neutered at about 8 months and he would mark if another dog entered the house or if we went to someone elses house, I had to watch him like a hawk because he would mark their house.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
I only have a male and his temperment is wonderful. I didn't get him neutered until 8 months and he was just beginning to mark a little but it stopped when he was neutered :lol:

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
My lad started to mark his territory at about 6 months old ,
He was then neutered and has never done it since :)
he is ultra laid back and a very cuddly lad :)

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Gizmo is having more accidents lately...but not spraying yet...I am planning on getting him neutered within the next month or so...

Gizmo is very laid back...but I think that is just his temperment....

I really think it just varies from dog to dog...I heard female chi's could be more aggressive...which is why I got a boy (I didn't know better)
.but all the female chi's I have seen are very quiet..and sweet...so I don't think the sex is an issue...I think it's the individual dog...how he was/is raised and if they are spayed or nuetered that makes the difference.. :wave:

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
Kemo wasnt neutered til 11 mos and while it took awhile for him to settle he marked a little til he was comfortable with us, then he marked when I got Bindi but in general he is not a marking dog. The earlier the better do not let that deter you....boys are very affectionate :)

·
Registered
15,323 Posts
I have 2 boys and I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! And they love eachother. They are very affectionate and extremely loyal (at least mine are :D ). I will eventually get another chi as well but I will get a female.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Chico is well tempered. he gets excited like all dogs do, but he's not bouncing off the walls 24/7. he isn't fixed, and doesn't mark. my grandmother used to have a female chi, and she was fine with adults...but boy was she mean to me! i was just a little kid when she had her, and everytime the dog saw me she would bark and growl and snap at me. (probly because she wasn't raised around kids)

but, i think it all depends on the dog. they all have different personalities and different temperments.

·
Registered
433 Posts
When I was searching out Callisto I was dead set on a long haired female. Now when I think about getting a second I'm fairly certain that I want a short haired male. I don't think it makes much difference which you pick now, you're going to love them no matter what!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Zabet said:
When I was searching out Callisto I was dead set on a long haired female. Now when I think about getting a second I'm fairly certain that I want a short haired male. I don't think it makes much difference which you pick now, you're going to love them no matter what!
Callisto looks like a relative of Punky!!!!!

·
Banned
9,271 Posts
I would say boys are more loving and laid back Ozzy has never marked he was neutered at 6 months :wave: and he is 18 months and still squats to wee :D

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Daytona @ 3 wasnt fixed till last week he never marked Inside.
Females do mark also however Lady never marked inside.
Sturgis at 10 months was neutered Last week also, Sturgis is a marker.
But he doesnt do it in the house as long as i use the belly bands. I am hoping once he is completely healed I will no longer need the bands :D but i dont have my heart set on it.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
hehe :D

i can't say either male or female .
males are more energetic....but they are both superlovers :D
cosmo is a bit more jealous ...but can be by the fact that he was here first

kisses nat

1 - 14 of 14 Posts