Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am new here. My name is Krystle. :hello1: I am 24 yrs old w/ 2 kids. 5 yr old girl named Kalli, and a 2 yr old boy nick-named Bubba because he is a 3rd generation (not my idea!). I also have 2 chi babies.
One is almost 7 months old, male, white with blue merle markings and a semi-long coat. His name is Chi Chi. I say semi long coat because he is not as long coated as some of the long coat chi's I've seen, but he's definitely not a smooth coat. He has the best temperament and is a total lap dog/lover. For 7 months old you hardly know this dog is around. He never yips, is not under foot when you are trying to get around, and only wishes to be in your lap and cuddle with you. He's great with the kids as well!
My other is a female chi. She is almost 5 months old. She's a smooth coat, mostly white with patches of dark brown almost black. Her name is Annie. She is my little spazoid! haha I love her but she is very excitable. She's been a much more difficult pup to bond with because she's so hyper but once she hit 4 months she started calming down and really I have grown to love her more than I thought I would with the way she is! lol She is my girl. She's very playful, lovey but is very obnoxious up in your face type Chi. She does some yapping, but not as bad as some small breeds I've met. Overall, she's a good girl.
The two are from different litters, different breeders, and different bloodlines. I do plan to breed them, and have spent months educating myself on the task. I've spoken to 2 different chihuahua breeders, as well as breeders who do other breeds just about whelping in general. Obviously I plan to wait to do so. The problem I'm running into is every vet I have spoken to (even my regular one) is so all about encouraging spay and neutering and really won't even discuss breeding. I would really like to find a vet that is more supportive or at least one that I know will not be jumping down my throat about spaying/neutering them.

At any rate, that's my story. I always wanted a chihuahua because of their small size but never thought I could get one that would be good with kids. Well, both of my Chi's are GREAT with both of my kids. I couldn't be luckier! So now I have my dogs and my kids and everyone is making it in perfect harmony. I can't wait to start chatting it up with other Chihuahua people like myself. I've recently only begun to appreciate this awesome loyal little breed of lovers!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Hi welcome

Do you have pictures?? Your boy will either be a long or a smooth coat there's no in-between at 7 months his coat wouldn't be full anyway as it can take up to 3 years for their coats to come in!!

If you are going to breed them you may wish to find a supportive vet a lot of them are pro spay neuter unless you are improving the breed (which IMO is the way it should be)

Anyway welcome and I'd love to see pics

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Welcome! Look forward to seeing some pics :)
Annie sounds a lot like our girl Miley, totally wild and crazy. She is 7 months now and finally starting to mellow out and has become more of a snuggler, it really does make it harder to bond with them when they are running wild all the time! We have been enjoying her so much more now.
Both your chis sound very sweet. Pics pics pics!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Welcome!!!
Can't wait to see some pics of your Chi's, they sound lovely !

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
They're both very cute. Welcome to the board. :)

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Awww they are cute, one word though, if she doesn't grow a lot more you might want to find a different stud, as you aren't supposed to breed a bigger male to a smaller female, can cause problems and you might have to pay $1,000.00 for a C-Section. Just a heads up :) They are cute though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yup, I am hoping she gets bigger for sure!!!! Just waiting to see!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Breeding is such a touchy subject I dont want to offend u at all with what I'm gonna say!

Personally I wouldn't breed your boy (merles aren't allowed in the uk but that's not the reason why lol) your girl is more to standard than him so by breeding him to her your puppies wouldn't be an improvement on her which basically what you should be aiming on is to improve the parents!!

He is quite a bit bigger than her with only 2 months difference I think he'll always be bigger than her when you find a helpful vet and have them both health tested he should be able to tell you if annies pelvis is big enough for whelping!! If you are dead set on breeding him I would probably prove him on another dog (bigger than Annie) to see what size pups he throws just because he's bigger than her he may only throw small puppies!

If they are registered (and if ur breeding them I assume they are?) you could try showing them or at least ask a judge to look at them to see if they are breedeirthy we can all give opinions (not that you askedfir them lol but seriously everyone has an opinion on It :D) but they are the best people to tell you whether or not your dog is worthy so to speak of being bred!

I'm really glad you came on here and said you were doing your research so many people think it's a case of getting two dogs together and letting them mate it's so much more than that I really hope you find a nice supportive vet especially as if you breed and Annie needs a section you want someone you trust

·
Premium Member
16,071 Posts
Awwww, what cuties! Welcome to the boards. :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are Annie's spots Blue? Dark greyish?
No, actually they are REALLY dark brown, almost black. They look black, but in the sun you can tell they are dark brown. Her sister was a dark brown almost all over... I almost got that one, but I let my daughter pick, and she picked Annie :) No regrets!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Breeding is such a touchy subject I dont want to offend u at all with what I'm gonna say!

Personally I wouldn't breed your boy (merles aren't allowed in the uk but that's not the reason why lol) your girl is more to standard than him so by breeding him to her your puppies wouldn't be an improvement on her which basically what you should be aiming on is to improve the parents!!
Everyone has an opinion, and that's fine, that's why they are opinions.. LOL

Besides that, why do you say that she is more "standard" then he is? Just curious....

Merles are a controversial part of the Chihuahua breed, that's for sure. I have never been partial to the full-colored merles (don't know the exact term) but I love that he is merle on white... People always tell me how beautiful he is and how they have never seen a chi with markings like that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts