Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1

My and my baby Millie doing funny faces hahah! She is eleven weeks old in a couple of days, and is able ton I on walks then cannot wait! So happy with my baby chihuahua she makes me so happy! Started to learn her simple tricks such as 'sit' 'leave it' and 'stay'
Any tips on learning her how to walk nice on a lead?

Premium Member
Mammy and Millie <3

Very cute photo. I've always used a harness for my crew. As their neck is so very delicate and one of my chi's pull when she walks lol. If you are using a harness, you can start by letting her wear it in the house for short periods til she is used to it. Once your ready to walk her, start slowly and use treats and positive reinforcement. She will be walking like a pro in no time 馃槉

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #3
Well i actually have a collar for her, would you recommend getting a harness or will the collar do?
I got a lovely pink diamant茅 matching collar and lead!

Premium Member
As Chiluv04 said a harness is much better their little necks are very delicate and they are safer.I have known dogs wriggle out of collars on a walk into the road

Registered
I agree With the others, always a harness for a delicate little neck. There's no reason why she can't wear her collar as well to look pretty.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #7
Okay thank you for the advice guys!
I've ordered this harness. I'm really lookin for are to taking her on walks, how many times a day do you all walk yours?

Registered
I don't blame you--I would be soooooo in love with her if I were you!! I simply adore that photo of the two of you "screaming" at the camera!!! You should frame it. :D I've never been any good at training. I declare I don't know how Lulu has learned all she knows. lol I will say, though, I do use a harness while walking so she never has pressure on her throat. The harness you posted a pic of looks fine. I also like one called a Buddy Belt in the summer as it's very strappy so she wouldn't get hot.

Here are a couple of pics of Lulu with a Buddy Belt on.

Registered
haha I love that picture and how you both have the same expression! I agree with the others about harnesses, they're much safer for chihuahuas and their fragile neck/trachea. I have some collars too, but I don't use them with a leash (just to look pretty :p).

As for training her to walk on the leash, bring some high value treats (tiny boiled chicken pieces or cheese never fail lol) to encourage her to walk if she's refusing or whenever she stops. Also I would recommend taking her out for walks no matter the weather to get her used to wind, rain, cold, wet muddy grass early on. Some dogs can have issues with these things.

Registered
:hello1: Welcome & since your baby is still very tiny I would recommend a harness vest. The one you posted a picture of I have found not to fit such a small dog. My girl at 5lbs is still able to slip out of that one & when she was 3lbs it was just way too big even though it is an xsmall. Amazon.com : Soft Mesh Comfy Step in Dog Vest Harness for Teacups, Toys, Minis, Puppies, Small Dog Breeds 2-16 lbs. Baby Pink, Sky Blue, Black, Red, Camo, X-small, Small, Medium, Large, X-large (Baby Pink, x-small) : Pet Supplies

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
She is just amazing! This morning she was hiding behind the curtain and you could see her shadow threw it and she was peeking out to see if I could see her then running out thinking she was as surprising me bless her!
How old is Lola? Also love those photos of her she is gorgeous!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you guys I will take all your advice on board :) I am going to take her to pets at home today so that I can pick a harness that fits her well.

Premium Member
I agree with the others, the harness that you ordered may not be a good fit right now. But she may eventually grow into it. You can still use the pretty collar you got her, to wear with her harness. I like the harness that Tina posted her Lulu wearing. It's a buddy belt harness. And it comes in tiny sizes and would likely be a great fit for your girl since it is adjustable. I'm not sure where you can order them in the UK, however you may find some on eBay from an international seller. Also Susan Lanci Harnesses are awesome too, and adjustable. They are made to order, so can take a while to get.

This is the buddy belt size 2 modeled by my Ava who's 3 1/2 lbs full grown
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae17/meoshyah83/A347B42F-3ADF-494F-A4B2-617B17642F16_zpskzht7tem.jpg

Susan Lanci xxs
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae17/meoshyah83/3C9DB4E6-A1F3-48BE-8E1D-ABF110075D70_zpsbxsrx9um.jpg

http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae17/meoshyah83/17789E40-DEA0-409F-AF1B-5FAE0E73B9C3_zpsyt09iiws.jpg

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #16
Love the buddy harness you sent a photo of its lovely I will have a look on the Internet, I'm going to go to pets at home today so will find a good fit there :)

Registered
If ur on a budget since bbs are a little pricey I opted for a ferret harness for car rides and shoppin cart/carrier clippings when KC was itty bitty size xxs

Premium Member
Your welcome. That one is the purple Python. I also have one in a classic pink color with crystals. Buddy belts are pricey but well worth the investment. The classic buddybelt can be found for $40 or less in ebay or chewy.com. If I were you I'd wait til she's around 6 months or so. And for now do as your doing and go and look at something in person to fit her now, or try a harness like Pidge is suggesting.

Here's the buddy belt with crystals
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae17/meoshyah83/1BD2B30C-5C81-42AB-AF2A-E6E84548038E_zpscxpsjvze.jpg
http://i953.photobucket.com/albums/ae17/meoshyah83/33601B28-27FE-48E8-8698-795B668E9ABE_zpsescvqszy.jpg

1 - 20 of 59 Posts