Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my little monkey got spayed today & some baby teeth pulled - I of course started crying when I dropped her off but everything went great she has a tiny little incision and a cone on her head! She has been quite groggy since we brought her home which is normal but has pee'd and poo'd and drank lots since she has got home! Here is a pic to share with everyone - she hates the cone on her head but she will just have to live with it!

just happy the surgery is over and cant wait for her to go back to her old self!

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've never seen a cone on the head/neck used for a routine spay.

·
Registered
6,831 Posts
Aw she's such a doll! Glad everything went smoothly. :)

·
Registered
4,172 Posts
Poor little pumpkin! So glad she did well. I am a nervous wreck thinking of it. My girls go in about 2 months.
Hope she is resting and will feel more like herself soon!

·
Administrator
11,989 Posts
Awww! Bless her. I am glad everything went well. Was she bothering the stitches? If not then I wouldnt it.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Neither of mine got cones for spay or neuter but they also didn't bother their incisions.

Such a cutie all groggy :]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my vet said she should wear it til the stitches come out - & i know marley and she will be biting at those stitches if i took the cone off...its kind of uncomfortable for her but she will get used to it...I thought it was always procedure for them to wear a cone i guess not?

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
my vet said she should wear it til the stitches come out - & i know marley and she will be biting at those stitches if i took the cone off...its kind of uncomfortable for her but she will get used to it...I thought it was always procedure for them to wear a cone i guess not?
My friend works at a vet clinic and she said that it is something they always do their so that they don't eat at the stitches..Libby will, so I hope they put one on her!

·
Banned
6,940 Posts
She absolutely should wear it, you are being a good momma to make her. All it takes is a few licks when you aren't looking and an infection can set in. I have never NOT seen a cone used for a spay? Any time mine have stitches they have needed the cone and bad! LOL.

Not sure why people here are giving advice for her to not wear it, I absolutely believe it is best and safest, ... I mean, why risk it?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She absolutely should wear it, you are being a good momma to make her. All it takes is a few licks when you aren't looking and an infection can set in. I have never NOT seen a cone used for a spay? Any time mine have stitches they have needed the cone and bad! LOL.

Not sure why people here are giving advice for her to not wear it, I absolutely believe it is best and safest, ... I mean, why risk it?:rolleyes:

thanks for your thoughts :cool: i completely agree! Rather be safe than sorry & dont want her to end up with a infection or an open incision!

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I am glad she is done with her "big girl" procedure. She will up and back to normal in no time.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I think you could watch her and she'd be okay. Maybe keep the cone on when you wont be able to watch her?

That's just me, I don't think it'll hurt her keeping it on what 10 days? Just for comfort of course but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
When I had Jazz spayed, my Vet didn't have a cone small enough, though she did attempt to retrofit one for Jazz, which frankly had limited workability. She also gave me some stuff.....I don't recall the name of it, but it was a paste with a really nasty flavor apparently......to smear around, not on, the incision, so that Jazz wouldn't lick. Wouldn't you know it, first thing Jazz tried to do once she woke up enough was to attempt to lick her incision. She didn't have the cone on then, nor the ointment around the incision site, because she'd been sitting with me the entire time since the surgery so I could monitor her behavior and condition. But once she started licking, that was it. The ointment went on and one lick of that dissuaded her from licking any more! Which was a good thing, because that damn cone simply would NOT stay on her!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts