Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it normal behavior for a chi to seek out that which causes pain? I have several cats, some declawed, some not. Of the ones who aren't, two have on many occations swatted at my chi when he's gotten too close or too wild. He yelps out but instead of running away and learning to leave that cat alone, he turns, snarls and goes after that cat even more provoking more scratches and yelping and so forth. If the cat causung him pain doesn't teach him no, what will? I yell at them both but then he just gets all cowering and won't listen. I have teouble with normal training anyway. If I need him to come to me, the more insistant I am, the less he listens. I can't alway be nice and playful about it. Sometimes I need him to listen right at that moment. He's not a puppy so its not an age thing. But the way he purposely goes after the cat that's already hurt him looking for more really annoys me. Is this typical chi behavior?

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If I was to judge by my lot, then yes!!:rolleyes:
Adam in particular is a bully towards the cats and has a running battle with Banjo (my 14Ib moggie!). Despite getting scratched on the head he will still try and attack him......which is pretty pointless coz his pathetic little teeth cant even penetrate Banjo's extra thick coat!!
Ive tried every method you can think of to try and stop him and whilst they work whilst you are actively doing them (treats, telling no, spray bottle, leashing) the minute you think he's got the message and stop he's right back to kitty bothering again!!:foxes15:

Let me know if you manage to stop your hooligan.....Id love to know how!!LOL:D

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I have two that bother my cat. She was raised with dogs and is very dog savy, but she's getting a little annoyed at them. They just want to play. A few nights ago was the first time I saw her get mad enough to swipe at Smoke. She had her claws in and didn't hurt him, but she's finally had enough. Luckliy, when I pick up the spray bottle, they will back off and let her walk through the room.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me know if you manage to stop your hooligan.....Id love to know how!!LOL
LOL I certainly will. :). At least I know we're not alone. The cats who don't hurt him seem to be less interesting to him. Those he'll lay next to or sleep with without antagonizing them. But the ones who do hurt him he just eggs on, like he want to get it and have a reason to get pissed at them. Like he considers them a challenge to be battled with.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm guessing he's just trying to show dominance over your kitty by not backing down. So while I'm sure it does hurt him, he just isn't giving up. I'd either continue a verbal correction consistently whenever he starts going after the cat (reminding him that it's not his duty to be taking control; that YOU are in charge of them both) and the squirt bottle idea sounds good as well.
When you say you yell at him and he cowers; but doesn't listen; do you mean he stops/cowers but then goes right back to it? Or does he actually try to challenge you in some way?? When my crew does something naughty (Tequila who's about 8 months now has started trying to push her limits by jumping up on the table.) Every time I catch her, I verbally correct her and she'll immediately jump down and sulk... but that's fine; because she needs to respect my command. It does get repetitive... but some dogs take a little more to 'get the hint' than others and really test their limits. It's about you showing that you will enforce/follow through with every command you make. From the sounds of it, if the pain from a scratch and your verbal commands aren't enough of a correction for him you may need to use a squirt bottle, pop can with pennies; or even time out in a crate when he starts to get out of hand; so that he doesn't get out of control about it. With some stubborn dogs if you let them get away with an inch; they'll take a mile. =/ I don't think that's the right wording for that metaphor but I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say LOL.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm guessing he's just trying to show dominance over your kitty by not backing down. So while I'm sure it does hurt him, he just isn't giving up.
This is exactly what's happening.

When you say you yell at him and he cowers; but doesn't listen; do you mean he stops/cowers but then goes right back to it? Or does he actually try to challenge you in some way??
He cowers and either goes back to it, or he sulks away and the comes creeping over to me with his ears back and his tail down and wants to crawl into my lap. He never challenges me directly. That's something I've never tolerated from any dog I've owned.

It's about you showing that you will enforce/follow through with every command you make.
I'm pretty sure he knows I'm boss. The second I raise my voice, or clap my hands loudly, or even look at him quickly, the ears and tail go down and he either tries to climb up or he rolls over on his back. But when he's distracted, like with the cats, he doesn't always pay attention.

if the pain from a scratch and your verbal commands aren't enough of a correction for him you may need to use a squirt bottle, pop can with pennies; or even time out in a crate when he starts to get out of hand; so that he doesn't get out of control about it.
I may need to try the squirt bottle but I hesitate to use his crate. I don't want him to associate it with being punished.

With some stubborn dogs if you let them get away with an inch; they'll take a mile. =/ I don't think that's the right wording for that metaphor but I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say LOL
LOL yes, I know what you mean.i

·
Registered
383 Posts
I had two Irish setters who just wouldn't stop chasing and biting porcupines.
We'd take them for a walk in the woods or my husband would take them hunting and next thing you know they had a mouthfull of quills.
They never figured it out LOL.

I had another setter when I was a kid and he chased a skunk once, well that was the last time he did that. I guess it's easier to learn your lesson when the nose is offended rather than the pain sensors LOL. I always said if porcupines could give the dogs a smelly squirt instead of a mouthful of quills I'd bet that would change things.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
LOL I certainly will. :). At least I know we're not alone. The cats who don't hurt him seem to be less interesting to him. Those he'll lay next to or sleep with without antagonizing them. But the ones who do hurt him he just eggs on, like he want to get it and have a reason to get pissed at them. Like he considers them a challenge to be battled with.
Wow, you've just described Adam perfectly there!!LOL He is a bully to all the cats TBH but those that just hunker down when he grabs them just get pinned down and their ears cleaned out, then they are free to wander off. Banjo objects quite strenuously to this treatment and so fights Adam off!! In fact Adam is sporting a lovely big scab on his ear from his last 'battle'....
He gets so fixated as well its hard to break his concentration. Ive even put my hand over his head so he cant see Banjo and he keeps staring through my hand!!:shock:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
hi i need to get my buster a friend maybe a kitten after reading about your cats not letting the csshihs disterb them

1 - 9 of 9 Posts