Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tico has finally started going down the stairs on his own!

My apartment is a 2 level townhouse with the bedroom downstairs (where his crate is). Up until now, he was ok going up the stairs (but most times I carry him to prevent "accidents" on the way from the crate to outside) but refused to go down stairs. I tried putting the tastiest treats on every step, and he didn't think it was worth it. Even if I put him at the very bottom, he wouldn't go down the last step. But oddly enough has no hesitation in trying to jump off a lap or chair!

Then just this week, he's decided it's more fun to run down the stairs than be carried! It's kinda scary to watch though - by the time he gets to the bottom couple steps, he's going so fast he almost looks like he's going to do summersaults! Then as soon as he hits the landing, he turns to look at me and wait for a biscuit treat!

We've tested out the outside stairs (since he will be babysat by the upstairs neighbors next month) and he doesn't think they are as fun as the carpeted stairs. That may take some more practice!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Oh my gosh!! :shock: That just came up with Hershey today also. She finally came down stairs by herself for the first time. Needless to say she didn't want to do that again :? . We have wooden stairs and they are really seep. I can see why they freek her out. :(

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
That is great... We have to steps going up tot he bathroom and it took Gadget months before he would go up them.. but once he did he now just runs up them and they are like nothing to him... the steps up into the bedroom ar like half the heigth so he got those first...

the steps comming into the house was the hardest for him to get.. they are wood open back and he didn't like them that much... I put carpet on them and he runs up and down them like they are nothing....

It makes it so much easier to have him going up and down all by himself then it was to be carried

1 - 5 of 5 Posts