Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this sounds like a really dumb question and I have been looking around for answers as this question is probably terribly common, but I'd just like advice from a community I know I can trust so I do it right the first time. :)

I've worked with puppies before, each situation and puppy is different. Maya has terrible "puppy A.d.d" lol. I've kept the training sessions to a maximum of 15 minutes because she just won't focus any longer than that, which is fine. It gets in enough to make me happy that she's learning. Well She's hit the 12 week mark and I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but today it was like she didn't remember one single thing she's learned. I've only been working on sit, down, focus (look at my eyes). And we do it on a leash inside and outside. Anyway seeing as it's 110 degrees outside we're pretty much going to be doing indoor training for the rest of the summer. She always for whatever reason has a harder time indoors. That to me doesn't make much sense in itself lol but ANYWAY to the problem at hand, today it was like she didn't even want to sit, period. I was getting so frustrated and I always will only end on a good note so after about 12 minutes I got one good sit out of her that lasted about 3 seconds and praised her and called it a day. Is she hitting a terrible twos period lol? I know dogs have bad days just like people. I'll try again tomorrow. Is this typical behavior? maybe she's bored. I'd move on to other tricks but she doesnt really have anything really down yet, not even SIT, so I'd rather not push her limits. She is a very smart girl, and I'm not being impatient I know I havn't had her long, I just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

If you read all this, bless you, lol. Let me know your experiences!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
She may just be having an off day. I would continue with what you are doing now.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
At this age they are like sponges, they'll absorb anything and everything.
BUT you must work on it daily. If you don't, your pup might forget.
As for the "puppy ADD", what I recommend is walking her well before training.
Also if you are training with treats make sure you are doing it far from her meal
time, so she is eager to get the treats. Most importantly it just takes a whole
lot of patience and practice. Chihuahuas are very smart and easy to train
compared to other breeds, because they love to please their owners, so don't
be afraid to work on more than one or two commands. Also incorporate your
training into the regular daily activities, for example make her sit before giving
her the food or throwing the toy while playing fetch, etc. Don't just limit your
training to the 15 minute periods, do little by little throughout the day. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats great advise LS, thanks so much! I have been incorporating training into things like you said, and other little things like "night night" or "crate" she knows what that means. And go potty, shes good at that one too. I want to take her to a puppy class, which starts next month, they do some basic obedience but it's mostly just for socializing.

I'll try to walking before training, that's a good idea. It's just hard because its SO stinkin' hot out here and it's only gonna get worse. Usually 5 minutes outside and she's pooped just from the sun. Ah, the art of finding a balance. :)

·
Banned
5,610 Posts
I agree with the exercise before training. When we were teaching Odie to sit, sometimes she was just a little jumping bean and couldn't focus, because she wanted to go play. We also get her to sit before she gets her regular meal too. I'm trying to work on teaching her to fetch (she thinks that keep away is a LOT more fun, even though she "gets" that i'll throw it for her if she brings it back) indoors, so when it gets too hot for a walk, she can do something active inside.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts