Chihuahua People Forum banner

me want chi puppy baad

8K views 91 replies 29 participants last post by  TLI 
#1 ·
ok so most of you here know i'm a chi crazy psycho ever since i got my precious leila.
I have periods where i'm looking at chis for sale and cool off periods. Well, i'm hot again...on the trail of another puppy that is.
I really would like to have one that is a little bit smaller than miss leila. She is certainly short enough, (not quite 8 in. high) and that's fine with me. But weight wise she is like 6 lbs and is a loony about food. ;) 4-5 lbs and not so hungry would be nice. haha
Well her breeder just had a new litter the day after thanksgiving and it's 6 boys. lol But he still has a pup from leila's mamas final litter. She is going to be around 6 lbs he's estimating, and i have showed her pic to a couple of people on here. Even though i know she may be as big as leila, I can't help but want to go see her (and can't seem to get her out of my mind). And with her having the same dam as leila it makes it all the more tempting, i just love how sweet and loving and intelligent leila is.
This puppy (to me) is just stunning! And without further adieu.........

:)
breeder describes her color as lavender fawn. whatever it is i love it, and her eyes are beautiful.

See less See more
#6 ·
Oh gosh I don't wanna be really rude but Cheryl leilas about a pound or a little more over weight you have you 4-5lb dog she's just overweight :(

This ones a nice pet seems longer in the body (see how she has tiny legs but still looks tall in comparison to her leg height) there's no harm looking but if you cut back miss leilas food you'll have your 5ish (maybe less) pound dog

#7 ·
Wow! That is such a beautiful puppy! If youre anything like me, youll want another one again anyway, whether you get a tiny or not. I still want a merle, a fawn with a dark mask, a chinese crested or two, and an italian greyhound. And then I would probably still want more, lol. I think youd be smart to choose on personality, ok and looks, above size anyway. Youre probably better off with a 6ish lber as you have a big dog too. A few lbs really makes a difference I think in how fragile they are, youd have a lot more worry with a tiny. You must get THIS puppy! I want 100 more pics!!!!!

#9 ·
agree with sarah and kitty too, you will never stop until you get that tiny, this chi is stunning, when we got bianca she was over weight, we just cut back on her food, and now she is a picker, does not pig out any more, might be the same with leila.
i dont know if anyone lse is the same as me, but because we see our chis all the time they dont look that small until you compare them to another smallish dog,then they look tiny, do you know what i mean?

#11 ·
I also agree...Leila is a 4-5lb pup with a little extra "padding". :) (she is gorgeous...I LOVE Leila & I personally LOVE her structure size-it's my kind of perfect! hehe)

I just love the lavender/blue sable pup you have pictured. Her eyes ARE gorgeous! If you're wanting a "tiny" though I wouldn't settle on anything less or you'll keep wanting one as everyone else has pointed out.

Good luck in your decision--which ever way you go you can't go wrong. :)

#12 ·
Cheryl, she is beautiful! I've already told you that, though. :) But she won't be a tiny. She is going to be about Leila's size, or maybe even bigger. From speaking with you so many times in PM, I know that you will not be happy until you have a tiny. I'm just being honest with you, because if this is your last, you are not going to be satisfied. Your lil one is out there, it just takes some time. The tinies aren't easy to come across, but if you are patient, you will find her. Puppies are fun, but she will grow.

As for Leila. She is a little girl! But she does have some extra padding. I think you will be very surprised how tiny she would be with about 1 lb. of weight loss.

#13 ·
Poor little leila. :( lol She only eats 3/8 c. a day. Should I cut her back from that? It seems like such a small amount and she always seems hungry all day long. She doesn't get treats regularly either. And if she does get one i cut her food back slightly.
Sometimes I think though that the "idea" of a tiny may be better than maybe actually having one. When I really think of it Leila is small but tough and that's good living in this house with a boxer and kids.
I just can't get this puppy out of my head. And i check back and there she still is......... So beautiful.

#22 ·
YES!! that is wayyyy too much food hun. LAUREL gets 2/8 cup a day when she was fed kibble. And Leila is much smaller!

Mine always seem starved too, even my little Bryco ha ha ha.

I also have to agree Leila has at least 1 lb of extra pudge, if not more.

You could consider switching her to a wet food and adding water. This seems to have more "bulk" to the dog, and you can add water which will slow her eating down.

When we were seriously dieting Laurel she got like 8 kibbles floated in water for one of her meals I think...LOL. Took her 5 min to eat instead of 5 seconds, but she had to peeeeeeee a lot. If you want to get the weight off Leila quickly give her 1/8 cup frozen green beans thawed and 7-8 kibbles. Its not good for her widdle joints :(

#14 ·
Cheryl, I will honestly tell you that your theory is correct. Tinies are adorable, but not suited for homes with big dogs. Lexie & Jade ran into each other playing, it made Lexie koo koo for a minute, and knocked Jade off her feet. It took a minute to get her "functions" back. They are very sweet, and adorable, but not always easy to care for. When I say it's an all day job, I'm not just typing that. It really and truly is. It will not be like caring for Leila. You have to watch everything they do! Monitor every meal, etc. So just be sure you are up for it. I could tell you more stories, but I’ll leave it at that.

#15 ·
Another note to add. Even Chance's size would be very risky to have in a home with a boxer. I would be scared to death! It would take one paw to his soft spot/molera, and he'd be gone. :( He is more sturdy than the girls, but certainly not what I'd call "average." Again, give it lots of thought.

#16 ·
That puppy is adorable! I love her eyes!

I've never wanted a "tiny." Rylie weighs 4lbs and that has always been small enough for me. Tucker is 5lbs, and he's sooo rough and tumble... he's stocky and just built tough.

Emma is tiny. Her breeder (who is a show breeder and has awesome, awesome dogs) figured that Emma would be about 5lbs fullgrown.

Well, Emma is 2.7lbs at almost 10 months of age, and hasn't really grown since she was 6 months of age. I'm hoping that she'll be a 3-3.5lb adult, because her small size is VERY worrisome to me. She is amazingly agile and FAST, and flies down our staircase. She jumps all over everything, and I cringe every time.

Even though she's only 2.5lbs smaller than Tucker, the size difference is VERY noticable. She's not as durable as him... I can't play rough with her, I have to watch and make sure she doesn't play too hard with the others... and after her head injury, it's even more worrisome.

I would never choose to have a "tiny." I think that a 5lb chihuahua is so much more ideal... they're more rough and tumble, easier to medicate (dosing), etc, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

#29 ·
I would never choose to have a "tiny."
They certainly are not suited to everyone's lifestyle that is for certain. They do very well in some homes however :D

YES!! that is wayyyy too much food hun. LAUREL gets 2/8 cup a day when she was fed kibble. And Leila is much smaller!

Mine always seem starved too, even my little Bryco ha ha ha.

I also have to agree Leila has at least 1 lb of extra pudge, if not more.

You could consider switching her to a wet food and adding water. This seems to have more "bulk" to the dog, and you can add water which will slow her eating down.

When we were seriously dieting Laurel she got like 8 kibbles floated in water for one of her meals I think...LOL. Took her 5 min to eat instead of 5 seconds, but she had to peeeeeeee a lot. If you want to get the weight off Leila quickly give her 1/8 cup frozen green beans thawed and 7-8 kibbles. Its not good for her widdle joints :(
I know the guidelines they put on those dog food bags are insane!! I don't feed either Chi anywhere near the recommended amounts, by trial and error AJ is getting a bit under 1/4 a day and Bijou eats two rounded tablespoons per day. Seriously!

Both dogs are maintaining an ideal weight and have that perfect you can feel the ribs but not see them. I worry more about Bijou because he has tiny little delicate legs and carrying around any extra chubs on top is going to stress those joints. AJ has always been leaner and longer and his frame is very proportionate.

All of mine would eat all day if I let them. Seriously. When meal time is over for mine, they are all looking around the floor to see if there is even a smidge left around. :lol: So don't let that worry you.
I tried a playdate with a miniature “weenie dog,” and that was even too much for them. He wanted to play, but even his 10 lb. weight was pouncing all over them. Anyway, just my experiences. Only you know what you really want.
I want to second the bit about looking for food all day, this is all Bijou does, he is a Chihoover! :lol: nose to the ground sniffing out anything he can find, I swear he is part hound! His eyes are bigger than his stomach however if he eats too many crumbs or bits and pieces from the kids then he won't eat his actual dog food, so I have to be careful.

10 pounds compared to a small Chi is big! I have a 10 pound toy poodle and Bijou can walk right under him, literally.

#17 ·
Oh, and I'd never say that smaller sized chihuahuas aren't suited for homes with large dogs.

Rory (our 35lb border collie) is still 7 times Tucker's size... ANY dog can get hurt by another dog no matter the size.

#18 ·
It is nice with leila's size i will admit, even though you're constantly looking to make sure not to step on her because she so fast and always moving, I feel pretty confident she is safe, my boxer is sooooo gentle with her, it is precious to see really! :love1:
I may go see this girl...just to see ;)

#21 ·
Yes. and i probably would. lol The breeder said she has a sweet personality and very playful.
OMG she must be the most beauiful Chi I have ever seen... If I were in your shoes I'd be going with a deposit or the full amount and taking her home..

So photogenic.. I am stunned at just how gorgeous she is..
I know I know!!! ;)

#25 ·
I would switch to a wet food too. She will get "more" from it, and maybe not be as "hungry." But some dogs are just like that. All of mine would eat all day if I let them. Seriously. When meal time is over for mine, they are all looking around the floor to see if there is even a smidge left around. :lol: So don't let that worry you. I have 4 pups, and I use 1 can of wet food a day to feed all 4. You need to use a super high premium, though. If you want to give her treats, cook some frozen green beans in low sodium chicken broth and use that. Chance didn't have as much to lose as Leila, but it only took about 2 weeks, maybe 3, to shed the extra ounces. And all I did was cut back his food just a smidge. Not even enough for him to notice.

As for the new baby in question. Just go with your heart, Cheryl. She really is a beauty! You might miss this chance, end up with a tiny, and then ask yourself what you were thinking. I love mine with all of my heart, and I wouldn’t normally say this, but I want to be honest. It gets hard some days. I don’t share everything here, but there is always something with these wee ones. Mine are all very healthy (luckily), but without going into every story that happens here, they are very fragile. Even a minor tummy upset is an emergency.

I tried a playdate with a miniature “weenie dog,” and that was even too much for them. He wanted to play, but even his 10 lb. weight was pouncing all over them. Anyway, just my experiences. Only you know what you really want.

#26 ·
Just for a chuckle, because no one got hurt, thankfully, here is how that play date went down. That is Chance running away from him. :lol: He wanted to land slide in to them. Let's just say the play date was very very short. :lol:

I'll post the other few I have too.

#27 ·
You know, I couldn't get weight off of Milo on kibble (EVO) & it was awful lowering his food intake. He was eating less than 1/4c a day (he was 11lbs at the time). All my pups were on about 1/4c a day & still were chunky. :lol:

Have you looked into ZiwiPeak? I know raw is a no-go for you guys but that may be something to look at. Or even Honest Kitchen. Honest Kitchen may be a better bet since it's more "bulky" & more filling than the ZP.

Leila is such a pretty girl (one of my fav girls here as a matter of fact!) & we're totally not picking on her. It's SO easy for these little guys to put on weight w/o even realizing it. I didn't know most of my crew was overweight before they lost weight. Maxie was 6.5lbs when we switched to raw--I thought he was an ok weight for a Chi...just stocky like Chi's are "supposed to be". Now he's 4.5lbs & he seems SO much smaller! He's at his ideal weight but in pics I don't think he looks like he's lost 2lbs. That's a huge amount for such a little guy! Anyway, I just wanted to show you because he sort of reminds me the way Leila is size wise. :)

Here he is at just about 6.5lbs:

And now at 4.5lbs:

#28 ·
OMG!!! That is the most beautiful chi pup I've ever seen. I've never seen one with blue eyes as blue as hers & I'm partial to white/light color chis. A 6 lb pup is tiny to me and I don't see much difference between 5 lb and 6 lbs. I think you're going to regret not getting her if you don't. I wish I could get her, but one chi is enough for me right now. Haha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.