Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this probably is a stupid request but can you guys take pics of your meals so I can gauge what to give chico per meal. the calculator says he is allowed 1.5oz per meal but how do I get meat, bone, and the 'other' stuff in one meal....or do I feed meat one meal, a bone another meal, and the 'other' stuff another meal??? or is the bone once a week??

UGH....I hate learning curves.... esp. when it comes to my little boy....and his nutrition .... so afraid *I* won't do something correctly.... does everyone feels this way at the beginning???

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Like I said in your other thread...I do a lot of grinds (which is meat, bone & organ all in one) so that meal would be the correct amount of each for each dog (for my crew between 2.5-5oz). A few times a week they get a bone in meal (a 1/2 chicken wing, piece of pork neck, 1/2 drum stick, etc). That counts as just meat & bone. Then another few times a week they get a boneless meal (pork or beef heart, chicken breast, etc). I don't worry so much about adding organ to get the correct percentage of those meat & bone meals. On occasion I'll toss some extra organ mix into their food so it evens out over time. Don't worry about getting each precise percentage at every meal or even every day or few days. Some feed organs once a week or once every other week...it's about getting a certain percentage over a period of time (just think of a pack of wolves taking down a large mammal...it will eat it over a period of a week or so not all in one sitting)

Just make sure you add them in slowly after Chico can eat chicken & at least one other meat ok. He will not get any sort of deficiency by not having organ in a couple months so there is plenty of time to take it slow.

I don't have enough time to go find pics on photobucket (need to get some sleep as I just got home from work!) but here are a few videos of my pups eating some bone in meals & one whole prey.

Whole quail chick (about 1oz each) **this is graphic to warm you**
YouTube - MChi Chihuahuas Raw Meal of Quail Chicks

Cornish Hen chunks (range in size between 2-5oz I believe...this was a bigger meal for my pups)
YouTube - MChi Chihuahuas Raw Meal of a Cornish Hen

Chicken necks (the necks were anywhere from 1.5-2.5oz though they look huge!)
YouTube - MChis Chihuahua Raw Meal Day 6

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Oh & I can take a pic of todays meal when I feed the pups. I have before added a few different things...chunks of meat, a grind & some sardines for example. Or even a grind & an egg. It keeps it interesting for them I find. LOL

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
thank you VERY much.... that helped alot.... guess I missed fully reading the other post or it just didn't 'sink in' the ol' brain......lol..... grinding makes sense.... can I ask how you grind it up?

SO excited but yet feel like I ask SO many stupid questions...lol

OH ... I love those videos... looks like the Cornish hens may be my easiest way for now.... don't know if I can to the Quail thing.....lol

BTW, is there any part of the chicken/Cornish hen.... that they should NOT eat?

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I purchase the grinds from hare-today. :) They do all the dirty work. haha All I do is cut open the package & divide it up (if I buy the big tubs which I always do) & freeze. Take each bag out as needed to thaw. Some call it cheating, I call it a life & time saver. ;)

Goodness don't feel like you're asking stupid questions at ALL!! If you only heard me before I started out. hahaha It's better to ask now so you can be as confident as possible when you start. I always say to expect some "hiccups" when starting as well. They can detox, not be "just right", etc as their body learns to process the new food. I was lucky & didn't have any major detox symptoms other than major shedding by a few dogs for a few weeks. I also had to learn that I had a few gulpers to deal with. Our first raw meal Matilda swallowed an ENTIRE chicken neck (the size of a WHOLE one in the video I posted) & I thought she was for sure going to need surgery. She didn't...processed it wonderfully much to my relief! Anyway, after that I hand fed her & Milo for a while until they learned to chew. Marley I've had to work with as well. Just something to think of. :)

Raw is a wonderful way to get them to loose weight though. It was the ONLY thing that helped Milo get his weight down. He was almost 11lbs when we started raw & he's just over 8lbs now...right where he should be. And we didn't even have to try real hard. That was the best part! :)

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I call it a life & time saver. ;)
works for me ....lol.... that would be wonderful for the time schedule that I have....

thank you for being so kind in helping me transition.......

"May the Force be with ME"

EDIT:.... just checked out the HARE-TODAY site....... I think I can do this now.... they make is much easier for my lifestyle and still be able to do RAW....:hello1:

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
HI Jan, Heather gave you excellent advice. The grinds are great! I tried for awhile to make my own 'meatball' grinds with chicken and organs and it was soooooooooo much work! Then the little stinker turned his nose up and decided he didn't like them. UGH!

I know that Lisa, (mom of 4 chis) does the grinds all the time as well. She gets a chub of ground goat for example from hare-today and then makes little one ounce meatballs that she can dole out as a meal. Easy!

http://www.chihuahua-people.com/raw-food/54068-post-your-raw-feeding-pics-7.html (page 7 about halfway down)

Cornish hen is really the easiest for me. I take a 16 ounce one (non-enhanced - read labels and keep the sodium under 100mg per 4 ounce serving) and whack it up into about 8 pieces of bony-meaty chunks. Then I dole those out several times a week. In between he gets boneless (beef, bison, pork, chicken, venison, fish - whatever I have). The bone-in pieces of cornish hen give him his bone allotment and provide lots of chewing/gnawing action.

No, there's not any part of the cornish hen they can't eat. Some people take the skin off chicken/cornish hens in the beginning as that extra fat can cause loose stools in some dogs. I took it off for a little while, then slowly just left more and more on until he was eating all the skin/fat. Dogs need the fat, unlike us humans! ;)

I also keep a supply of chicken wings in the freezer and pull one out if needed. (If a stool is loose for example, or around organ meals). I cut the chicken wings into three sections, the drumstick part, the middle section that has the two long bones, and the wing tip. These work great for your bony meals. A whole chicken wing would be a huge meal, so split into 3 sections and just give one piece at a time.

If it's easier, you can get a food scale and weigh portions - but most people don't. If you feed a bigger meal, then feed smaller next time. Keep a close eye on body condition and feed accordingly. I'm guessing you will see Chico's weight start to slowly drop and his body will get firmer and more muscular. Raw fed dogs usually have great body condition with good muscle tone. One of the perks. :)

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
works for me ....lol.... that would be wonderful for the time schedule that I have....

thank you for being so kind in helping me transition.......

"May the Force be with ME"

EDIT:.... just checked out the HARE-TODAY site....... I think I can do this now.... they make is much easier for my lifestyle and still be able to do RAW....:hello1:
EXCELLENT!! :hello1: After getting worn out trying to do mostly bone in the first time around we took a break for 2 months feeding ZiwiPeak & Honest Kitchen. When I came back into it I vowed to do it but I had to do it in a way that made my life a little less stresseful & the grinds TOTALLY do this! It does make it easy for busy families to feed raw this way...or for those with more dogs. As long as you add in bone in pieces a few times a week to get the dental benefits. And the beef/pork heart and beef/pork trim (I like heart because I find it a bit better for them) is a great way to cut down on costs.

We actually ordered the small 10lb sampler pack this time around. While the sampler pack itself only will last my crew about 6 days...it gave a good variety as well. Since you just have Chico you should be able to order every few months to save on shipping. Shipping cost depends on where you live...for me it's never been more than $26 & that was for 50lbs of food or more (though if I ordered the 50lbs sampler pack it doubled for whatever reason...I just keep playing with whats in my cart until it goes down. LOL)

Anyway, good luck! I can't wait to hear how he does.

AND YOU CAN DO IT!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a Cuisinart Kitchen scale I really like so I have measured Chico's meals out for the week. My Hare-Today order should be here by Thursday so from Sunday on I hope to use that. Does this meal menu look OK to you all?

Monday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Monday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh Bone (alittle meat left on the bone)

Tuesday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Tuesday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)

Wednesday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Wednesday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh Bone (alittle meat left on the bone)

Thursday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Thursday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)

Friday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Friday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh Bone (alittle meat left on the bone)

Saturday Morning Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)
Saturday Evening Meal: 2oz. Chicken Thigh meat (not much fat on it and no skin)

Sunday Morning Meal: 2oz. Hare-Today Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs
Sunday Evening Meal: 2oz. Hare-Today Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs

Hare-Today Ground Chicken/Bones/Organs every day from Sunday. I may replace the Ground chicken meal with some plain Chicken meat meal.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Looks good, here is a sample of my weekly menu, I decided it was easier than fighting with Zoey to offer organs 4x a week in smaller amounts. I always add bone to the organ meals.

Sunday: AM Turkey
PM Bone in Cornish Hen .35oz Liver
Monday AM Boneless Beef or Beef Heart
PM Boneless Pork
Tuesday AM RMB (Beef Ribs, or Turkey Neck, or Pork Neck or Rib Bones)
PM Whole Prey Mice & .35 oz Liver
Wednesday AM 1 Egg & Shell
PM Boneless Beef or Beef Heart
Thursday AM Ground or Boneless Chicken
PM Whole Prey Mice & .35oz Beef Kidney
Friday AM RMB (Beef Ribs, or Turkey Neck, or Pork Neck or Rib Bones)
PM Boneless Pork
Saturday AM Fish
PM Bone in Cornish Hen .35oz Beef Kidney

·
Registered
923 Posts
It looks good. :) But since Chico is new to raw, I would add in some bone daily and watch his stools. If they become too hard, reduce the bone a to every other day. New dogs will almost ALWAYS need extra bone at first. :)

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
wow... thanks for the menu... it really helps to 'see' what and how others feed their doggies....

I am excited to try this RAW menu... I always thought it was so time-consuming or gory... a BLECH! kinda mindset I had....I still don't think I can throw a whole mouse or quail down for him to munch on (double BLECH!) .... but everything else I think I can do.... *fingers crossed*

New dogs will almost ALWAYS need extra bone at first. :)
good to know.... thanks!!!

·
Registered
7,637 Posts
Jan this is so exciting lol

One thing I will say is don't think you have to stay bang on the ratios I have to give daisy extra bone coz she gets rocket arse if I don't I'm slowly managing to get hers down to less bone but seriously it's easier to go by body condition and the state of their stools!

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
Jan, your menu looks fine. Like Kelly said, you may need some extra bone so just have some chicken wings or necks in the freezer and if you get a loose stool - give the next meal bone heavy and he will adjust. :)

So excited for you! Yay!

·
Premium Member
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jan, your menu looks fine. Like Kelly said, you may need some extra bone so just have some chicken wings or necks in the freezer and if you get a loose stool - give the next meal bone heavy and he will adjust. :)

So excited for you! Yay!
thanks.... I thought I was too heavy on the bone already but will adjust as you all say if he........ ummmm....errrrr....... 'blasts off' lol

·
Registered
14,441 Posts
thanks.... I thought I was too heavy on the bone already but will adjust as you all say if he........ ummmm....errrrr....... 'blasts off' lol
You are expected to be bone heavy in the beginning. :) It helps to regulate stools. Then you will gradually decrease it OVER TIME so that you eventually in the 10% range. Some people with bigger dogs do chicken backs or frames for two weeks. That's a little TOO bone heavy in my opinion, but it does help to ensure a smooth transition.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts