Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a question for you all..do you give your chi's heartworm medicine every month or is it not necessary for chi's? this topic has been boggling my mind for months. :?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper gets his on the 11th of every month. In Austin, there have been many dogs diagnosed with heartworms and I don't want my boy to be one of them - not only are heartworms gross (I get sqeamish just thinking about them... if you ever have the chance to see an infected heart w/worms... DON'T LOOK.) but they're expensive to treat and can be fatal.

I got the following information from the heartworm society website:

Dogs are considered the definitive host for heartworms (Dirofilaria immitis). However, heartworms may infect more than 30 species of animals (e.g., coyotes, foxes, wolves and other wild canids, domestic cats and wild felids, ferrets, sea lions, etc.) and humans as well. When a mosquito carrying infective heartworm larvae bites a dog and transmits the infection, the larvae grow, develop, and migrate in the body over a period of several months to become sexually mature male and female worms. These reside in the heart, lungs, and associated blood vessels. Even as immature adults, the worms mate and the females release their offspring (microfilariae), pronounced: (micro fil ar ee), into the blood stream. The time elapsed from when the larvae enter the dog until the minute offspring can be detected in the blood (pre-patent period) is about six to seven months. The male heartworms (four to six inches in length) and the females (10-12 inches) become fully grown about one year after infection, and their life span in dogs appears to be at least five to seven years.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
Cooper said:
Cooper gets his on the 11th of every month. In Austin, there have been many dogs diagnosed with heartworms and I don't want my boy to be one of them - not only are heartworms gross (I get sqeamish just thinking about them... if you ever have the chance to see an infected heart w/worms... DON'T LOOK.) but they're expensive to treat and can be fatal.
I remember seeing a picture of an infected heart and it was one of the most repulsive things I've ever seen. :shock:

Lily takes Advantage and it does require a prescription. Whatever it costs, it is well worth it to protect your baby.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Heartworm is very active here, many dogs are diagnosed with it and if not treated, it is fatal. Treatment is very hard and the dog and very expense ($800.00-$1,000.00 here). I give both of my dogs Sentinel faithfully. This particular heartworm medication also protects against fleas and ticks. So, I don't have to worry about those either. Not all of them protect against fleas, it just depends on which one your vet prescribes and carries.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
PEANUTBUTTERNJELLY said:
how much do your prescriptions usually cost?
I've never asked and never looked at the bill. When I know it's something Lily absolutely has to have, I guess I don't really care about the cost. But now that I think of it, I had to buy the Advantage online because my vet's office doesn't carry it. I'm thinking it was around $25 for a year's supply but I might have pulled that number out of my butt too. :D Maybe someone else here has more of a clue than I do. :lol:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Rachael Polachek said:
PEANUTBUTTERNJELLY said:
I've never asked and never looked at the bill. When I know it's something Lily absolutely has to have, I guess I don't really care about the cost. But now that I think of it, I had to buy the Advantage online because my vet's office doesn't carry it. I'm thinking it was around $25 for a year's supply but I might have pulled that number out of my butt too. :D Maybe someone else here has more of a clue than I do. :lol:
Rachael, is there an Advantage that is for heartworns? I use Advantage for fleas, but it doesn't protect against heartworms. I use Interceptor for heartworms. It's a very tiny pill, given once a month, and comes with stickers to go on your calender as reminders when the next dosage is due. That's how I remember when it's time to give it again.

It does require a vet's prescription. I usually get 6 months supply at a time, but I honestly don't remember how much it is. Like Rachael, if it's something I know Jazzy needs to keep her healthy, I don't worry about the cost.

·
Registered
5,807 Posts
chimom said:
Rachael Polachek said:
PEANUTBUTTERNJELLY said:
Rachael, is there an Advantage that is for heartworns? I use Advantage for fleas, but it doesn't protect against heartworms. I use Interceptor for heartworms. It's a very tiny pill, given once a month, and comes with stickers to go on your calender as reminders when the next dosage is due. That's how I remember when it's time to give it again.

It does require a vet's prescription. I usually get 6 months supply at a time, but I honestly don't remember how much it is. Like Rachael, if it's something I know Jazzy needs to keep her healthy, I don't worry about the cost.
When I said Advantage I meant Interceptor. I thought you all knew that. :D

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Cooper gets Heartgard chewables and it costs about $40 for a years supply. And ... when I take that little thing out of the wrapper and hand it to him, you would think it was Christmas at our house. He loves them and always begs for another when he's done.

You also don't want to be late by even a day giving them to your pets... at least, that's what the vet told me. She said that they're designed to be given every 30 days and on the 31st day, your dog is at risk.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Tucker takes Interceptor and our Labrador, Molly, takes Heartguard. The Interceptor is less expensive than the Heartguard until your dog gets over 10 pounds, so that's why our dogs get different products. One is just as efficient as the other in protecting against heartworms. :)

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Auggie gets interceptor too. I am sure I pay more here than in the states but if i order them online I don't save much because of shipping cost. Make sure you get for the 2-10 lb kind. My vet ( duh I am an idiot ) suggested always do it on the first day of the month as it is easier not to forget and it works good I flip my calendar it means it is heartworm day

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ive never heard of it, but Im scared to give my babys anything that doesnt come from the vet. No..........you do not have to have them tested at all except for the first time. If you keep your dog on heartworm meds and dont miss any...there is no need to be tested again.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
she has it now she's on tri heart plus..then we're going back to get frontiline..the vet said when their 4-5 months i think they dont need to be tested b/c it takes 6 months for worms to appear. so since jelly is 10 months this month she had to be tested then she was prescribed heart worm prevention meds. he said you can stop it when the winter comes along or continue to use it. but they get tested yearly to make sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts