Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick intro! Just got my chi on sunday! Please forgive the circumstances in which we got our little girl! Owner asked in jan if we wanted a free chi in a few weeks..my husband and i wanted a dog and took the free opportunity.. Fast forward 5 weeks...the owner said the puppies went to the vet and were ready to come home... I thought it was odd and was sure i had at least a good 2 weeks before she was ready! But owner said mom is skin n bones and she wont nurse them anymore and they were ok to go home...still sounded fishy to me but i couldnt let just anyone take her..

I get to the house and the poor mom was emaciated.. I took pup home, slept w her and surprisingly she went right on the pee pee pad...she ate wet food and everything with no problems!.. Next day took her to the vet...vet said yes shes too young to be away from mom and littermates since she has things to learn from them such as bite inhibition, but shes in excellent shape! She was constipated but i was told just to add in chicken broth to food and that worked great! Gave me a de wormer and nutrical...puppy is gaining weight and doing great! One whole pound! Tomorrow she will be 6 weeks! I cant get enough of her!!

Her father was a chocolate chi and mom is a fawn, both short haired... Dads really small, moms pretty big.. Mocha came out a light chocolate, light brown nose and paws, white spots on face, tummy and tail! Soooooo adorable! She made my husbands heart melt too :)

I know shes young but doing great given the circumstances....her ears started to stand straight up too today! :)

Will post a pic asap!

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Welcome to the forum Nicole. :)
Sad to hear about Mocha, her litter mates and her mom.
Where did you find this "breeder"? Do you know what happened
to the rest of the pups and mom? You will definitely find a lot of
interesting info and helpful kind people on this forum, so do not
be shy to ask questions and post cute pictures.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah, I should have been more clear.

When the puppies were first born mom was happy and healthy and obviously very protective of her litter ( I was there a few days after they were born). It is not a "breeder" just a family friend who had two chihuahuas who mated who couldnt keep the litter themselves.. this is why she gave them away for free. When I went to pick up puppy, mom was so emaciated because she could no longer breastfeed. She was trying to wean them herself, but it got to the point that she didnt even want to be around them. She wouldnt sit for them or anything.. She had lost so much weight from the 5 puppies. I felt bad for her, but it was not the owners doing. But the owner did call me to tell me mom was doing better (gained weight back) and just checking to see how mocha was doing... The family is a very nice family, but I do know they wanted to get rid of the dogs #1 for the puppies mothers sake.

Good thing is that mocha is doing excellent. Gaining weight, eating, pooping, wanting to play bite, but i am teaching her as we go along that it hurts etc (I do a pretend yelp! lol) and she backs off which is good. Such a sweetie pie!

Thanks for the kind words I just should have been more clear!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Glad to hear Mom and Pup are ok and WELCOME
to the forum. :hello2:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I got my boxer from a backyard breeder when she was 3-4 weeks old (they said 4, vet said closer to 3). The mom wasn't nursing them due to a c-section and they said she was eating dog food (she wasn't really). It was a pain food-wise since I had to put her back on formula and even that was difficult.

the socialization was the biggest issue. the neighbors got a dog a few weeks later that would come over under the fence and they were best buds so that helped. She didn't have biting issues, just didn't seem to know how to play. i don't know how much is species-related but this chi plays so much more than the boxer ever did. Now the boxer plays and is imitating the chi with chewing stuff up again. Argh. she has a much higher reach than the puppy!

Anyway, congratulations on the new baby! they can turn out fine after being gotten that young but if you know anyone with a puppy or older dog she can play with to learn how to be a dog rather than a person that would probably help. You could always get a second one... :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That makes me feel better :) thank u! Yes my friends have a tea cup yorkie so i can bring them around each other... My husbands parents dog runs away from the puppy, we sense hes very jealous.. :(

Cant wait to post a pic! Shes sleeping on my chest right now!!

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy, and welcome to the forum. Your new family member will bring you more joy than you can ever imagine. They have so much love for their peeps! You will also find so much help here. I have learned much in the month and a half I have been on this site that the five years I have had a dog in my life.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Welcome..Glad you got her to take care of her. I got my Chi Holly at 5 weeks 4 days and she was only 7 ounces then. I think she is almost a pound now she will be 13 weeks tomorrow. I seen Mocha's pics and she is adorable!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts