Chihuahua People Forum banner

Meet Bella...

3K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  DUNGAREEDOLLY 
#1 ·
Hello! My name is Beth and I adopted Bella last week. She is 11 weeks old and just so much fun. Her favorite things to do are dancing on her back legs and chasing her 'brother' Romie (2 yr old male Pomeranian) all around the house. She is a 1/5 of his size, but she has no fear grabbing any toy or bone right from his mouth. He is beginning to realize that she is a quick and smart girl!

I adopted Bella from a volunteer rescue organization here in Buffalo, NY. From what I was told, the owner wanted to breed her before she was even physically able to. So, luckily she is safe with me and will never have to worry about being used to make money.

Bella has hernia is 2 spots. The vet says there is a chance they will heal and she will not need surgery, but time will tell. I have to wait till she is 5 months old for the surgery (and spay). I am so happy that she is not in any kind of pain. But, we will make sure it gets fixed - even if I have to sell my entire handbag and shoe collection! :)

Speaking of handbags, Bella got her first one this weekend! She looks absolutely adorable in it and she stays cozy warm. I design and make handbags and I will be extending my line to pet carriers and clothing! My website is www.dungareedolly.com - I will let you all know as soon as I add the 'Dolly Pups' line.

Bella is using her puppy pads and we are having less accidents every day. Hopefully by the spring she will start going outside to potty (darn these cold Buffalo winters!). Bella is having a little trouble getting used to her crate, but I have learned lots of tips on how to make it easier and more comfortable for her. This morning she learned how to 'sit' and wait for a treat - that was the best!

Thanks for visiting and we would love to hear from you - comments and suggestions are more than welcome!

See less See more
#8 ·
Hello Beth - I bought a bottle of bitter apple spray at PetCo for $5 - although I read the other posts about Bella, and you could be right, the spray may irritate the area? Maybe give your vet a quick call to make sure it's okay?
Selena is great, she is almost 7 months old and I got her when she was 3 months and is very spoiled by my boyfriend and I. She's pretty much 100% potty trained now (to go outside), which is wonderful. I'm taking her on Monday to get spayed, poor little girl.
I usually read the forum when I have free minutes at work.....better get back to it!
~Holly

#9 ·
Thanks for the reply Holly! Email me anytime you would like to talk! Good luck to Selena with her spay - she will do GREAT! And how on earth did you get her to go outside in NY? CONGRATS! My baby hates the cold, so we are sticking with the puppy pads for a while.

We have a vet appointment Friday, so in the mean time it's neosporin and a long sweater! Hopefully the 'raw spot' will clear up or we will get an antibiotic to make her all better. I am also taking her to get a second opinion about her hernia. My vet wants $600 for the surgery which I think is too much. Everyone I have talked to says it should not be more than $200. I do not want to support an overpriced vet! I will let everyone know! :)

Thanks for checking in with us!

#10 ·
Bella's new vet!

Hey guys! Just an update about Bella's new vet we visited on Friday...

She has umbilical and inguinal hernia and the vet said it is one of the worst cases he has seen. He said it is not likely it will go away and he suggested correcting it sooner then the 5 month mark. So, she has an appt on Jan 31st for the surgery and spay - she will be 3.5 months. My poor little muffin! I know it is a little early to do a spay, but I would rather she had it done instead of conducting another traumatic surgery in just a little over a month. He even told me about how allot of vets for the SPCA and other animal rescue organizations are spaying/neutering pups at 8 weeks of age - they do not want to adopt pets out that could add to the pet over population. They recover fine and I think it is a great idea. Plus, a spayed/neutered pet is healthier in the long run (as we all know).

Anyway - the hernia correction, the spay, pain meds, and the last of her shots are going to cost est. $250, instead of the $600+ my original vet wanted for just the spay and hernia correction. It pays to 'shop' around! Not just because of the money I will save, but to have that second opinion of the hernia and that we should not wait as long as the original vet recommended. But, it really kills me to know there are vets out there solely to make a profit - not to keep these animals healthy!

Thanks again to all that have followed up with us!

#13 ·
DUNGAREEDOLLY said:
Thank you Tattdangel! It really is allot of fun! I like you user name! :)
Thanks, I decided on that 1 b/c when I meet people along w/ my hubby who has quite a few tattoos they all think I look to nice and innocent to have anything :roll: and they usually are shocked when they see my lowerback. :lol:
I want a few more but I just finished chemo so I'm not looking to be stuck w/ anymore needles for quite awhile. :(

#15 ·
DUNGAREEDOLLY said:
That is a perfect name for you! I am sorry to hear that you were sick - are you in remission now? My sister went through that at a very young age and I know it is very difficult. I will be thinking of you :)
imkari (Kari) went through cancer at a young age also.

My cancer was a rare ovarian cancer called immature teratoma. It was removed through surgery and the chemo was precautionary to kill off any lingering cells. I was very fortunate w/ in a year I had 2 surgeries, 4 months of chemo and my hair has grown in nicely. So I feel very lucky. :D

#17 ·
DUNGAREEDOLLY said:
You girls have been dealt some tough cards! I am glad both of you are OK - sometimes it takes such a traumatic thing to see how lucky you really are. You both seem great and very happy - I love that about you!
I can honestly say I came out a better person going through what I did. This all happened for me Christmas 2003 so we truley enjoyed our holidays for 2004. I'm just thankful to be around for my little boys. :D

#18 ·
She is in surgery right now.

Hey guys :)

I dropped off Bella early this morning for her hernia repair, spay, and microchip. I am sure she is going to be fine, but I can't help but to be nervous! I am sure all of you moms and dads can relate!

One of the hardest parts was not feeding her this morning! She kept pawing at me like - "Mom, are you forgetting something - I am half starved to death here!!!" I can't wait for 5:30 to hit. Hopefully she will feel well enough later to eat a little dry food and some doggie ice cream I bought her special for the occasion.

But back to knowing how hungry she was by missing just one meal...I can not believe how some people can starve their pets to death. I watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet every day and there is usually at least one case of malnutrition and these animals looks like skeletons. It just makes me sick to think about it. Half the time these people don't even think they did anything wrong! Anyway, I am sure you have all seen it and feel the same way.

I will update how the surgery went as soon as I hear from the vet :)

#21 ·
Mikey got nuetered and had some teeth pulled a couple of weeks ago. He was hurting for a few days and was real cranky, but he's usually cranky anyway :roll: :lol: he's all better now.
Kismet will be getting spayed in March, she just finished all of her shots.
I have 2 female cats that were spayed, Chloe and Eerie, and they bounced back quick :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.