Chihuahua People Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I live in Montreal Canada and have a male Chihuahua what we assume is a mix. We aren't sure what he's mixed with because our friend took him in from a rescue. Then about a month later she ended up giving him to us. He was left in a shoe box by the side of the road along with his two sisters. Thank goodness someone saved him. His estimated Birthday is October 1st and we got him on January 3rd.

We took him to puppy school for an 8 week session that started on Feb 14th. Now we take him to the next level called companion Rookie which started on May 8th.

He is very energetic and happy. He loves to play with his toys, sit on our laps and chew on chew sticks.

He just was neutered on Thursday and he is recovering quickly! The day after he was already back to his old self.

We live in a condo with no balcony and have him use a pee pee pad placed in a litter box. We are having a lot of trouble house breaking him. He seems to go wherever he pleases. He also has a crate which he sleeps in, and stays in whenever we are gone or too busy too watch him. He does seen to love his crate. His bed and a few toys are in there. He normally goes for 1 walk a day and loves to pee outside but will only poo occasionally.

Any tips on house breaking him would help a lot! I had a chi/ Pom mix in the past who was liter box trained and I do not remember having this much trouble training him! But that was about 16 years ago.

·
Registered
114 Posts
hi welcome to the forum, it takes patience and time to housetrain, he is very lucky to have you, its difficult to train a dog when he can only go for one walk a day, its not easy when a garden of somesort is not available so easily, just by being consistent with him on the puppy pads will help, in england you can get a spray that makes your dog go in the same place on the pads, maybe you might be able to get hold of this training spray in a pet shop near you, when they wake up and after play they usually need to go so by putting him on the pad as much as possible and by repeating the word quickly, he will soon recognise and remember thats where he has to go, good luck, Tania.

·
Banned
10,704 Posts
Hey there! :wave:

Welcome to the forum!
I hope you enjoy your stay, this is a great place, full of kind people.
As for the potty training, I personally would recommend more walks,
whether you decide for your pup to go on pads or outside, he would
benefit from scheduled, frequent, structured walks, not only for his
potty training but for physical and mental well being.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Welcome to CP :D I don't have much advice, except patient and be consistent. It sounds like you're on the right path, it will probably just take some time for him to adjust.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
If this little guy has no other pups to train him, then I'd dip a puppy pee pad in some of his urine. Also get a little poop and put it on the pad. That'll help him see that this is the place to go. Don't change the pad immediately! Praise him when he even sniffs at the pad. I like a play pen, 'cause they can go in there too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts