Chihuahua People Forum banner

Meet Liam and offer thoughts?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Pawchen 
#1 ·
This is my little heartthrob, pound pup, Liam! He's a merle chi, which I understand is a dominant gene (so, therefore, had to be present in one of the parents, right?), but his brother looks nothing like him color-wise (beige babe with a splash of dark down his back and at the end of his tail).

He's a typical chihuahua at 6 lbs, but he's got floppy little ears and funny flag-like tail, so we were thinking that somewhere down the line, his ancestry's mixed, but with what, no one has been able to figure out. We thought Australian shepherd, but that kinda seems impossible ^-^;; If you have any ideas, please feel free to throw them out there!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I believe both of the parents have to have at least one allele in order for the pups to be Merle's. Neither actually has to show Merle, just carry the gene. And if two Merle's are bred, they create a double Merle (not good).

He looks like a chi to be. The floppy ears are not characteristic of Chis but are relatively common. Many Chis ears don't always stand.

His tail looks normal and chi like to me.

Liam is cute. Welcome!!

Sent from Petguide.com App

#3 ·
He is adorable, I like the merles. My Ike's sister is a merle, she is beautiful. He looks all chi to me. I have read that somewhere along the line Chi's were mixed with the Australian shepherds to get the merle gene.

#5 ·
Thanks so much! It's good to know--people automatically assume he's mixed because they don't believe he looks like a chihuahua and I'm not too familiar with the breed. Then again, I haven't seen too many Chi owners around here, so what do they know, right?

#8 ·
He IS a love--and sleeping between my legs and under the laptop as I'm writing this, haha.

Thanks Evelyn, I feel like I hit the jackpot with him. They do have miniature Australians Shepherd, which makes it plausible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.