Chihuahua People Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rocky is my 3rd small breed dog , but 1st Chihuahua. He's 6.5 weeks old, little young but was assured he was all A-OK and weaned.

Pic taken with the breeder holding Rocky

Sinead x

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks :) - Very cute indeed he is, but also very young which is now bothering me from reading other threads saying that 6 weeks in far to young to have left there mothers :s

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having had pups from 6 weeks old in the past so presumed a Chihuahua would be ok too...........Little did I know until now!!

I'll see what the vet says about giving him extra supplements in addition to his solid foods, he way not need it and I may be worrying too much.......but no harm in seeing what the vet says!

I have him swaddled up like a baby to make him feel safe & secure and take him to his drink regularly........been feeding him small quantities every 2 hours to keep his sugar levels stable.

Sinead x

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Hi there, welcome!
Your baby is a real cutie pie!

I'm currently waiting for a black and tan smooth female Chi as a sister for Lexi, I can't wait I just love them.

(I was meant to be getting two older females as some may remember, but that fell through last minute unfortunately. But I'm happy because they got to stay with their owner after all, re-homing can be so stressful for dogs.)

Lexi came to me at 7 weeks old, and although they shouldn't be away from their mum at this tender age, as long as you keep a close eye on Rocky he'll be ok. Just watch for hypoglycemia attacks, make sure he's fed 3 meals a day to keep his sugar levels up and just take extra care with him :)

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
It will probably be to your advantage that you have the other two dogs. They can help socialize him and teach him doggy manners that the mother would have done at this point. It would be great if one of them "adopted" him and mothered him that way. Otherwise, its done, be happy and just continue to socialize him and play the mother role. Watch for the low sugar signs and I'm sure you'll do fine, being as you're familiar with small breeds.

Welcome to the forum! He's a cutie pie. I can't wait for more pics. I'd love to see your other babies too!

·
Banned
881 Posts
Very cute i will say but why didnt u wait till he was older why didnt the breeder wait? I dont wanan sound rude but i dont get that i have told people 8 weeks is way to young but 6.5 i havnt heard that in awhile good luck if i was you id bring the pup everywhere with me alot could happen to a small pup

·
Registered
533 Posts
another rocky, and another uk member :eek: im pretty sure theres only one armani.
hes very cute,and looks in good health. how much did you pay for him? you dont have to say, just wondering because the prices are ridiculous! over here...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
LuvMypup said:
Very cute i will say but why didnt u wait till he was older why didnt the breeder wait? I dont wanan sound rude but i dont get that i have told people 8 weeks is way to young but 6.5 i havnt heard that in awhile good luck if i was you id bring the pup everywhere with me alot could happen to a small pup
Having had pups from 6 weeks old before I didnt think they'd be a problem. My girls are now aged 10yrs and 8 yrs, hopefully the Lhasa aged 8 will " adopt" Rocky like she has done with my daughters 9 week old Kitten!

I know you dont mean to sound rude, but has mentioned in my previous post I didnt think they'd be a problem and it was only after finding this forum today that I have discovered people opinions on bringing such a young pup away from it's mother at such a tender age.

It's good for me that I have experience of small breed dogs albeit not Chihuahua's - but I still have some knowledge.

Rocky will be taken everywhere with me and already as been, has are my other girls, I dont like leaving any of them if we all go out for the day they come with me ( 3 kids and now 3 dogs and 1 big kid husband :D )

No offence taken by your comments - and if I had know yesterday what I had found out today from this site then yes Rocky would have been with his mother still........on his own as his siblings had already gone the day before I collected him.

Sinead x

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
kayleighheartsxchix said:
another rocky, and another uk member :eek: im pretty sure theres only one armani.
hes very cute,and looks in good health. how much did you pay for him? you dont have to say, just wondering because the prices are ridiculous! over here...

He's a little darling, he now sleeps with a small soft toy Chihuahua I bought in Hamleys last year, which is actually bigger than him! ( this was supposed to be the only Chihuahua I was having as I couldnt find one at the time lol )

I paid a lot less than most people pay over here. I had seen them ( and still seeing them ) for £2000 on epupz/loot/etc etc !! They all seem to be around the £900-£1250+ mark with the exception of a few at £2000

I paid less than £700, which in my opinion is still very expensive considering a couple of years ago and there prices then. I Blame the media and all the hype with which Celeb has bought one!!! :(

Sinead x

·
Banned
881 Posts
Glad to hear ur doing the right thing there is alot of new chi owners on this site as well as old chi owners if u have any questions or anything there some great advice as well. Keep us updated and so glad to hear ur not leaving the pup alone althought i do hope if in the future u get any other chis u get them a bit older :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sinead-Rocky said:
He's a little darling, he now sleeps with a small soft toy Chihuahua I bought in Hamleys last year, which is actually bigger than him! ( this was supposed to be the only Chihuahua I was having as I couldnt find one at the time lol )

I paid a lot less than most people pay over here. I had seen them ( and still seeing them ) for £2000 on epupz/loot/etc etc !! They all seem to be around the £900-£1250+ mark with the exception of a few at £2000

I paid less than £700, which in my opinion is still very expensive considering a couple of years ago and there prices then. I Blame the media and all the hype with which Celeb has bought one!!! :(

Sinead x
lol :] he must be small, i agree £700 is still pretty expensive especially if you have 3 kids,2 other dogs and a cat...at the end of the day they are a pet i used to see them at like 300-700 max! i am def with you on the media thing! grr!
are you going to get him fixed? long time left to decide i guess though!:)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LuvMypup said:
Glad to hear ur doing the right thing there is alot of new chi owners on this site as well as old chi owners if u have any questions or anything there some great advice as well. Keep us updated and so glad to hear ur not leaving the pup alone althought i do hope if in the future u get any other chis u get them a bit older :)
I most certainly will get a older one ( maybe 12-16 weeks old ) if I ever do get another. :)

Also my answer to the question about having him fixed - the answer is YES. My girls are spayed and he'll be done as soon as he's old enough ;)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a hard life being a pup - well he's took over the kitten's igloo bed LOL all that wagging and playing has tired him out for the night.

Just been playing with the little chap, myself and my husband lay on the floor face to face with a decent gap between us and lil Rocky came trotting over to me wagging his tiny tail, pawing at my face and snuggling his head under my chin :-D

I think this little boy will do just fine - Even the 9 week old Kitten who is called Tinka came over the great Rocky ( Kitten is bigger than Rocky ) and Rocky stood there wagging his tail at her :angel10:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts